Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette question: Meeting with a manager

I'm a never-been-signed writer who has an in-person meeting with a tv lit manager next week. (After a cold query, this manager responded with a read request, then reached out for an additional sample which led to an invitation to the office to discuss what I want for my career.)

Three other managers at different companies got back to my cold queries with read requests after I scheduled this in-person meeting.

My question is, if (IF) the in-person meeting goes well this week and this manager offers to rep me, should I mention that I need to follow up with others who are reading my work before I shake on anything? I've read that if you're offered management/representation it's good etiquette to follow up with people who requested scripts before committing to your rep, but is this what writers usually do? My first instinct is to say yes to the first person who wants to work with me. Do you think a manager would be offended if a writer wants to check in with other companies before accepting? If anyone has experience around this situation I'd love to hear.

Re: Etiquette question: Meeting with a manager

The first person who offers to represent you may not be the best representation for you, so I would definitely contact the other managers. And remember the meeting is not just about them deciding if they want to rep you - it's about you seeing if you want to be repped by them.

Comment

It's a tough one. Bird in the hand... the others haven't gotten back yet...

Is there a big difference in the status of the people who are meeting with you/reading you?

I think at the very least it's worth checking in with those reading and saying "I just had a manager ask me to come in for a meeting - I wanted to follow up and see if you've had a chance to read it yet."

If you have another meeting on the books before the first one happens, I don't think it would be out of bounds to say "I've got another rep who wanted to sit down with me - I love everything you're saying, but I should talk to them before I make a final decision. I will get back to you very quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        It's a tough one. Bird in the hand... the others haven't gotten back yet...

Is there a big difference in the status of the people who are meeting with you/reading you?

I think at the very least it's worth checking in with those reading and saying "I just had a manager ask me to come in for a meeting - I wanted to follow up and see if you've had a chance to read it yet."

If you have another meeting on the books before the first one happens, I don't think it would be out of bounds to say "I've got another rep who wanted to sit down with me - I love everything you're saying, but I should talk to them before I make a final decision. I will get back to you very quickly."
        I just recently did the latter - was 90% sure I was going with this guy but needed to close the loop on two other conversations with managers. I told him the situation and he was more than cool with it - told I would be back to him in X days with a decision.

Comment

Totally depends on how you hit it off (or don't) with the manager. You'll know in the room if it's right and you want to sign before hearing back from the others.

Whatever you do, don't try to leverage the meeting you are taking with the managers that haven't gotten back to you yet. Trying to create competition like that usually backfires for new writers.
          Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
            Whatever you do, don't try to leverage the meeting you are taking with the managers that haven't gotten back to you yet. Trying to create competition like that usually backfires for new writers.
            I totally disagree-- you should absolutely tell the folks who haven't read that you're taking a meeting. Don't be agent-y about it (don't try create a false sense of "heat"), but keep them in the loop and ask (nicely) if they've by any chance had the time to read. It may get them to read quicker, or it may not accomplish anything-- but in any case, if their response is "How dare he!," then they're *******s and you don't want anything to do with them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
              I totally disagree-- you should absolutely tell the folks who haven't read that you're taking a meeting. Don't be agent-y about it (don't try create a false sense of "heat"), but keep them in the loop and ask (nicely) if they've by any chance had the time to read. It may get them to read quicker, or it may not accomplish anything-- but in any case, if their response is "How dare he!," then they're *******s and you don't want anything to do with them anyway.
              ...that's exactly what I said. Don't leverage it and create a false sense of competition. Nothing wrong with giving them a heads up.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Working...
              X