NICHOLL'S 2012 Semi-finalists? Sound off!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NICHOLL'S 2012 Semi-finalists? Sound off!

I come across this old post from CreativeExec and it applies to this thread and contest. It's about contests in general.
    Some contests serve a good purpose.

Nicholl, Chesterfield, Disney, WB, and
    PGL (which produces the winning script)
    are the handful of contests that translate
    well in the business.

Winning one of these contests is great -
    mostly because they all entail a healthy
    cash prize, have earned some industry
    respect and provide exposure.

But in the grand scope of things, winning a
    contest means that your script was (deemed)
    the best of all the other amateur scripts
    submitted.

But can it compare with scripts by Scott Frank,
    Steve Zaillian or John Logan? Because in
    the real world - out of the contest womb -
    it will have to.

Since many execs have failed to see greatness
    coming out of contests (most of the contest
    material I read sucks), they wait until the
    winners are announced and then pounce. (It's
    less dreck they have to siphon through.)

However, winning a contest does not ensure
    representation. Many Nicholl winners are not
    repped and have had no professional success
    beyond their cash prize and pats on the back.

On the other hand, there are semi-finalists who
    have very healthy careers.

There are some agents and managers and
    producers that will prowl semi-finalists in a
    contest like Nicholl.

Smart reps looking for talent and material
    will do it during the semi-finalist stage when
    competition among reps isn't as great.

But agents have scores of ways to find
    new writers and material. Contests are simply
    one way. And not necessarily the most
    effective/efficient way.

I'm no big fan of the contest circuit.

For the most part, it's a sleazy, cannibalistic
    fringe industry that does the contest more
    good than the writer.

Although winning a contest like Nicholl may
    not help your career, it won't hurt it. (And
    it does put 30K in your pocket - which is
    more than most writers will EVER make in this
    biz.)

A good rule of thumb with contests is: the
    bigger the cash prize, the more worthy the
    contest. Any contest that offers enigmatic
    industry exposure only, or a few hundred
    bucks, or "Final Draft" is hardly worth it.
    (This encompasses 99% of all contests.)

There are too many writers making contests
    their full-time pursuit. Since only the ones
    mentioned above have any real clout, a
    writer needs to pursue other avenues for
    points of entry.

You should not be waiting for agents to
    contact you, you need to be pursuing
    them.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
      I come across this old post from CreativeExec and it applies to this thread and contest. It's about contests in general.

EJ
      "A good rule of thumb with contests is: the
      bigger the cash prize, the more worthy the
      contest. Any contest that offers enigmatic
      industry exposure only, or a few hundred
      bucks, or "Final Draft" is hardly worth it.
      (This encompasses 99% of all contests.)
      Yes, especially trackingb!
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

That post is pretty old and doesn't reflect Chris Lockhart's views on Trackingb.

From his blog:

"Two contests that have been effective in opening doors for writers are the Nicholl Fellowship and the Trackingb Contest. Both are very different but have better odds than others in introducing new writers to Hollywood."

Comment

Another day, another forum stalker to put on my ignore list.
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Despite what you say in post after post, you're not interested in truth at all.

In fact, you constantly accuse people of shit based on little or no evidence. A few of your posts have crossed the line into slander.

But you wouldn't care about any of that, right? Until someone sues you. Then you'll bat your innocent-looking li'l eyes and say, "What'd I do?"

I mean, shoot, you've (indirectly) called me a shill a few times now. Which means that, basically, you've accused me of taking money in order to promote Trackingb's contest. Not in so many words, no, but your use of the word "shill" is pretty heinous. Since I don't know your identity, but I DO know the owner of DD's, maybe I should just sue him for allowing your slanderous bullshit to remain on the board. You wouldn't even consider that such a lawsuit might be your fault, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
              Another day, another forum stalker to put on my ignore list.
              You do know that you basically started it when you said, "Yes, especially trackingb!"

I honestly don't know what your deal is with trashing TrackingB every single chance you get. I think we all know where you stand on the subject.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                You do know that you basically started it when you said, "Yes, especially trackingb!"

I honestly don't know what your deal is with trashing TrackingB every single chance you get. I think we all know where you stand on the subject.

HH
                Because people continue to waste their money by entering TB, that's why.

TB is the worst of the greedy 99% b/c they just take the money and offer no chance whatsoever of winning any prize money. If they want to be considered in the same league as Nicholl (not that any contest can match Nicholl for prestige) then they need to offer significant prize money.

There are people on DD who have nothing better to do than follow my posts and challenge what ever I say, regardless of what I say... it's getting old. And their behavior is entirely predictable. Which is why I ignore their posts.
                Last edited by JoJo; 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

There are people on DD who have nothing better to do than follow my posts and challenge what ever I say, regardless of what I say... it's getting old.

People challenge what you say because you're wrong 100% of the time. You were wrong about jtwg50, and you're wrong about Trackingb.

But, hey, you're probably a good screenwriter, right? Or is that something else you're wrong about?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                    That post is pretty old and doesn't reflect Chris Lockhart's views on Trackingb.

From his blog:

"Two contests that have been effective in opening doors for writers are the Nicholl Fellowship and the Trackingb Contest. Both are very different but have better odds than others in introducing new writers to Hollywood."
                    Trackingb contest is awesome for sure. Their track record speaks for itself in its very short run. It's a no brainier

EJ

Comment

Know what Swetnam did this weekend? He began production on his second produced feature film two years after being a finalist in TrackingB. The prize is not money. A monetary prize was never promised or offered. The prize that is offered is exactly the prize delivered.

What really boggles the mind, Jojo, is that you spend so much money entering every tiny unimportant contest that will do nothing for your career, but you rant and rave repeatedly about a contest that has a proven track record launching careers. And every time someone tells you the truth, you put them on ignore or change the subject or launch some completely different incorrect attack.

I don't know what member of your family TrackingB killed, but please stop making every contest thread about your personal vendetta.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Because people continue to waste their money by entering TB, that's why.

TB is the worst of the greedy 99% b/c they just take the money and offer no chance whatsoever of winning any prize money. If they want to be considered in the same league as Nicholl (not that any contest can match Nicholl for prestige) then they need to offer significant prize money.

There are people on DD who have nothing better to do than follow my posts and challenge what ever I say, regardless of what I say... it's getting old. And their behavior is entirely predictable. Which is why I ignore their posts.
                        Just so you know, this is the 100% incorrect.

Trackingb is hands down one of the best contests in breaking writers and getting them representation (the entire point of any contest).

I personally prefer TrackingB scripts to Nicholls. (Trackingb, Nicholls, Austin are the top 3 in my book by far).

Best,

Michael
                        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                          Trackingb is hands down one of the best contests in breaking writers and getting them representation (the entire point of any contest).
                          Bolded for emphasis.

HH

Comment

. . . getting them representation (the entire point of any contest).
                            Really? Guess competitions such as Disney, Warner Bros., CBS, Fox, NBC, Nickelodeon and Sundance are worthless in your estimation. Hiring writers to write or preparing them to work on staffs or prepping their scripts for production is nowhere near as high a calling as getting them repped?

What about competitions that inspire a writer to write or complete a screenplay? what about competitions that provide feedback? What about competitions that provide a mentor who assists the winning writer in the development of a script?

What about an obscure competition such as the Virginia Screenwriting Competition, which years ago was judged by producer Mark Johnson who took the winning writer, Vince Gilligan, under his wing?

What about Michael Arndt stating that he kept writing for ten years prior to breaking through with Little Miss Sunshine because of a note written to him sent from a competition?

What about hundreds, if not thousands, of writers who kept writing because of the validation provided by competitions?

I personally prefer TrackingB scripts to Nicholls. (Trackingb, Nicholls, Austin are the top 3 in my book by far).
                            Not that it really matters but which Nicholl and TrackingB scripts are you comparing? The TB top 1, top 3 or top 8 versus the five Nicholl winners or the five winners and the five finalists? Is that for 2011 only or for each year from 2007 through 2011?

Given that the goal of TrackingB is to secure representation for the winning writer, is it possible that your taste would be more in line with its judges' tastes? Especially given that the TB judges are all reps.

What about scripts written by Nicholl semifinalists and quarterfinalists? Anything good amongst those scripts? Anything positive ever happen for the writers of those scripts?

Comment

Greg's examples are all valid and demonstrate the varied ways writers can become successful, break in, obtain representation, and/or sell a script.

Whatever the catalyst. Whatever it takes. It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by norcal365 View Post
                                Whatever the catalyst. Whatever it takes. It's all good.
                                And costly.

Comment

Working...
                                X