Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercutting

I'm writing a scene where two characters need to be questioned/interrogated by two different people, in separate rooms, at the exact same time. The line of questioning (and answers) for both characters needs to be identical.

I want it to read like one scene on the page (intercutting between the two separate locations), so that I'm not being redundant and/or taking up too much space.

More specifically, I'd like to intercut in such a way that one interrogator starts a question, then CUT TO the other interrogator finishing the question. Or one of the characters starts answering a question, then CUT TO the other character finishing the answer. Does that make sense?

I see it clear as day in my head, but want to make sure it's not confusing on the page. Mostly though, my intention is to make it snappy. Get in and get out. Obviously I need to be somewhat judicial with the cuts or I think it could be super annoying to read.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any examples of this being done well?

Thanks!

Re: Intercutting

You can use the split dialogue feature in most screenplay software to have two conversations going on at once coupled with an intercut. As far as on screen that usually takes the form of either a split screen with the two different but parallel conversations taking place or uses a quick intercut the way you describe.

So in essence combine:
    http://www.screenwriting.info/15.php

with

http://www.screenwriting.info/12.php

But really just using an intercut should work.

Here are some intercuts people like:

http://www.chud.com/community/t/9254...f-intercutting

In the Fifth Element there's an intercut fight scene beginning with Scene #192
    https://sfy.ru/?script=fifth_element
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Even a thread from here with the same setup you describe:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=68563&page=4
      You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

I do not know how it might typically be done in Hollywood (is there even a consistent prototype for this kind of thing?), but I might do it as a variation on an intercut telephone conversation.

Ordinarily, in a telephone conversation you establish one location briefly; someone calls from that location or answers the telephone. Then you add a direction to intercut with the other scene, where you write out the telephone conversation as if the two people were in the same place. However, you have something a little different in mind, with lines of dialogue in which someone finishes an answer or a question in the other room.

I would do it with two master Scene Headings: INT. INTERROGATION ROOM #1 and INT. INTERROGATION SCENE #2.
        INT. INTERROGATION ROOM #1

The first scene is very short; it simply establishes the scene of the first interrogation room. Here you identify PRISONER #1 and his interrogators. Maybe something brief happens, or a question is asked. Then the scene cuts to the other interrogation room.

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM #2

INTERCUT with INTERROGATION ROOM #1.

Identify PRISONER #2 and his interrogators. They interact and talk. Then, when you want to go back to the other location, you just add a minislug (like a shot):

INTERROGATION ROOM #1

Things happen in the first interrogation room.

INTERROGATION ROOM #2

Things happen in the second interrogation room.

INTERROGATION ROOM #1

Etc.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

When writers do this kind of thing in a script, they usually cliffhang on words that are finished in the other location. The first scene that comes to mind is 'The Town'. When they bring the four man crew in for questioning, they do the intercut from interview to interview. Usual Suspects also has the intercut police interview scene. As far as the technical way to pull this off in a screenplay I'd steal what you like from a movie that's already done it. Stealing something like this is totally ok and really, appropriate. I gave you two movies to look at, and I think the scripts to those two can be found on simplyscripts.com or drews script o rama. There are other movies too.

Comment

Is this the sequence?
            - Interrogator #1 starts the question
            - Interrogator #2 finishes the question
            - Suspect #2 starts the answer
            - Suspect #1 finishes the answer
            - (repeat as necessary)
            "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
            - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I appreciate the input everybody!

Is this the sequence?
              - Interrogator #1 starts the question
              - Interrogator #2 finishes the question
              - Suspect #2 starts the answer
              - Suspect #1 finishes the answer
              - (repeat as necessary)
              Yes, essentially. Though, I'm not cutting on every question and answer. Maybe something more like this:

- Interrogator #1 asks the question
              - Suspect #1 starts the answer
              - Suspect #2 finshes the answer
              - Interrogator #2 asks the question
              - Suspect #2 answers the question
              - Interrogator #2 starts the question
              - Interrogator #1 finishes the question
              - (repeat as necessary)

I like the idea of using duel dialogue to show that one character starts the question/answer with another character finishing the question/answer. I'm wondering if putting a little disclaimer before the sequence could eliminate any confusion. Something like:

INTERCUT -- Between Billy and Samantha being questioned in separate rooms. The line of questioning is identical, and at times, so are the answers. Some of the intercutting occurs mid-sentence, as indicated by duel dialogue --

I always indicate the intercutting of two scenes with INTERCUT -- Between this character here and that character there -- anyway.

Is the extra information too much? Thoughts?

Comment

Not sure if I'm helping or making things more complicated, but The Closer/Major Crimes often cuts between Interview Room(s) and an Electronics Room where others (usually the prosecutor and other cops) are watching and commenting on live feed(s) of the interrogation(s). You could have some of your dual dialogues on side-by-side monitors, accompanied by reactions from the remote observers.

Comment

The way I imagine it (prove me wrong) is that when you intercut mid question/answer it gets messy.

Have you considered Split-Screen? Run the two scenes side by side with complete sentences. Get creative with the spacing of the dialogue and action so that "same" dialogue line up - "unmatched" dialogue lines up with action in the other scene.
                  "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                  - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Working...
                  X