Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here wants to go from Screenwriting to Directing

With the change that happens with Screenplays over the course of Pre Production, do you ever feel that it would be better to go into Directing as well as Screenwriting, so you have a little more pull when it comes to production?

I was watching a documentary on screenwriting (Tales from the script) and Guinevere Turner stated that she wrote a draft of Bloodrayne, they never got her to re write it and then she got full credits and it bombed and the script got blamed.

I believe a lot of people wouldnt want that to happen.
    Thoughts?

Re: Who here wants to go from Screenwriting to Directing

I rather be a writer-producer than a writer-director.
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

I'd like to go from screenwriter to showrunner, but I don't have any real desire to direct features (I've seen how insanely hard those guys work, and a lot of it is unbelievably tedious).

Comment

My career arc is thusly: screenwriter to director to producer to drug addict to sex addict to bankruptcy to homeless to rehab to busboy at the local diner to giving interviews to Entertainment Weekly and People until finally succumbing to an aneurysm and dying just before my comeback film premieres.

Much weeping will ensue.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
          I'd rather be a writer-producer
          I will be a lincredible producer.

Comment

I have confidence in my writing, but not in my directing. It would take a lot of on-set time and working with/learning from directors before I even get the desire to direct.

Comment

I am pursuing that course of insanity now. I've directed 6 shorts (I also wrote those shorts). I have written many features and I am about to step into the feature directing chair for the first time later this year (and the best part -- the project is funded by others).

If I may time travel to the past and remember why I wanted to direct in the first place.

6 years ago an actor-director read one of my shorts and wanted to film it. So I said okay. He welcomed me on set in case anything needed to be rewritten.

Well, this guy completely messed up the script (in my opinion). The color scheme was wrong, they did all the obvious camera angles. The actor-director, who had the lead role, spent more time criticizing my dialogue than actually acting. It turns out that he spent more time playing director than actually learning the lines.

I saw the finished product and it was not that good. They never submitted to festivals, because they also felt that it was not that good. That was the last time I allowed anyone to film one of my shorts. I saw what the directing was doing and I felt I could do better.

Admittedly my first few shorts lacked alot, but I have gotten better with practice. Just like I have gotten better with writing, through practice.

I won't lie to you. Directing is freaking hard. Screenwriting is hard also. Directing can be exhilarating one moment and then mind numbing terror steps in to kill the buzz.

But, you know what, I love it. I love writing. It gives me equal parts, joy and hatred. I have been writing for what seems like a damn long time.

I have been directing for 6 years and all the hard work and disappointments have paid off to finally direct a feature. FYI, the producers has seen my directing reel and felt like giving me a chance. It is a very low budget movie, but hopefully it's just a start.

So if you want to direct to see if you like it, start small. A five page short that is small enough to manage but long enough to stretch your directing skills.
              Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                My career arc is thusly: screenwriter to director to producer to drug addict to sex addict to bankruptcy to homeless to rehab to busboy at the local diner to giving interviews to Entertainment Weekly and People until finally succumbing to an aneurysm and dying just before my comeback film premieres.

Much weeping will ensue.

HH
                Now, that's a man with a plan...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
                  I'd like to go from screenwriter to showrunner, but I don't have any real desire to direct features (I've seen how insanely hard those guys work, and a lot of it is unbelievably tedious).
                  Have you seen how insanely hard a showrunner has to work and how tedious, impossible and insane that job can be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Dazzler

Many can direct.

Few can write.
                    Yet directors are valued much more than writers. Probably why many writers try to transition to the director's chair.

Comment

I once tried my hand at directing a TV pilot I co-wrote. It's a very different skill set.

Comment

I directed and produced a short film once. It was enough to let me know I am terrible at those things.
                        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Dazzler
                          Many can direct.

Few can write.
                          Disagree.

Few can direct well. Few can write well.
                          Last edited by Why One; 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Directing scares me. I've watched my partner direct our three shorts and I'll take writing as the easier option any time!
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I do both right now. Not completely successfully on either front....but am making headway to my first feature.

This is how I see the difference between them. As a writer you are creating a world. And you have as much time as you need to get that world as perfect as possible (spec situations only). It can take days, or months or years to get it right. And that's all you have to worry about. Making it perfect.

As a director, you are also creating a world and trying to make it perfect. But you only have a few chances (takes) to get it right, while constantly being bombarded with questions from every crew person, while monitoring the nuances of the performances, while ensuring the blocking is working with the camera movement, while ensuring you have the coverage to cut the scene, while searching constantly for ways to improve every line & action in the script, while bringing your personal taste and artistry to every moment, while being conscious of the budget & schedule, while placating the producers/financiers, while anticipating when the light will be right, while being political and dealing with egos, while nurturing and supporting the actors and getting them to trust you, while collaborating and empowering everyone who works with you to the point where they offer great ideas but are also aware that you don't have to take them and the buck stops with you. And just when you think you have it perfect...the sound man will tell you an airplane just flew overhead and runed the take, so you have to it it all over again.

Directing is harder to do well because you are using so many more skills. But both are equally fulfilling for me. I'm a masochist in a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X