Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Comfort Film

Name a movie you like for whatever reason but you'll never openly admit in any film talk.

Re: Secret Comfort Film

Because our secrets are all totally safe on the Internet?

Comment

I didn't mean deep secret. For whatever reason I seem to find fault with 99% of all mainstream movies. I find myself alone in a crowd often because I do not like what's out there HOWEVER for some odd reason I tend to enjoy "Expendables 2." Another film which critically is better is "Moneyball." If I turn the channel and it's on I will nest despite seeing certain scenes a 100 times.

Comment

Well, at AFF over the weekend I admitted to being one of those people who saw Titanic 7 times in the theater (and two of those times were in Spain...)
        I admitted Terminator is my favorite romantic movie of all time and I professed my love for Sherwood Schwartz and Jack Arnold.

I suppose in answer to your original question, I'd say I think 13 Going on 30 is a good secret comfort film.

Feel free to race away from me as fast as you can!

Comment

A few...

Candleshoe
          The Spy Who Loved Me
          L.A. Story
          Hitch
          King Ralph
          Dave
          Last edited by RogerOThornhill; 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Got a few myself....

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1982) tv movie with Anthony Hopkins as Quasimodo.

The Beastmaster (1982) Marc Singer

If You Could See What I Hear (1982) Marc Singer

The Promise (1979) Kathleen Quinlan

The Dark Crystal (1982) Jim Henson

The Thorn Birds (1983) Richard Chamberlain

Comment

BEASTMASTER!

Comment

"Drive Me Crazy." It's uh, a mid 90's teen rom-comedy. I will still watch it every time it's on. Sort of counters my other comfort film "Expendables 2" (not 1 or 3 mind you).

Comment

By the way, I know we're not supposed to laugh but I nearly spit my drink out when I saw "The Beastmaster" mentioned. I haven't seen it in years, but that sure is the spirit of this thread

This is why it's a secret because if I am to rail against the horribleness of "Batman V Superman" then I certainly can't say "you know what's a good film? Beastmaster." But the thing is we all have these kind of films that we can't come right out and say.

Comment

But you know what? Beastmaster is something that makes an impression on people. It's weird. There's a magic ring with an eye in it. The guy can talk to the animals. He has little ferret friends. It's just kind of cool. If something is cool and makes an impression on people maybe it IS good.

Comment

Of that genre in the 80's "The Beastmaster" is definitely good. I saw it a ton of times in my youth so much so that decades later I still remember Marc Singer using his tiger as a wingman. I just completely forgot about it until it was brought up and it struck a cord with me. it made me smile because that's really the essence of what this thread is about. No one is going to post "my secret comfort movie is CITIZEN KANE or JAWS" because they are lauded by all.

I brought this subject up to a co-worker and he surprised me with saying he liked "Blood Diner" and has it on dvd. Again, I had not thought of that cult 80's movie in years and I remember liking it as well. I thought he was going to say something totally safe like "Field Of Dreams" (he's a baseball nut).

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                        But you know what? Beastmaster is something that makes an impression on people. It's weird. There's a magic ring with an eye in it. The guy can talk to the animals. He has little ferret friends. It's just kind of cool. If something is cool and makes an impression on people maybe it IS good.
                        Yes. This is why Beastmaster is so good. Even if it is a little hokey. (but to be honest weren't most early 80's movies hokey?)

Beastmaster has all the above mentioned plus some real scary stuff ('member the "birdmen" at the big creepy tree with the people soup?) and some real heart wrenching tragic moments (like when one of the ferrets dies, can't 'member if it was Kodo or Podo, and when his dog dies saving him from the Huns)

Ahh yes, the member-berries. (south park fans should know what I mean.)

Gosh, really shows how much I studied that film as a kid to remember so many details even though I haven't seen it in years. Got it on dvd, it may be time to break it out again.

Comment

Yup member berries

Comment

So I saw Beastmaster again today on my day off. All the Beastmaster talk made me want to revisit it. Yep, it still holds up as coolness!!

In previous post I called the bad guys Huns, have to correct myself here...they were actually called the Juns.

Wanna add one more to the list though.....Krull (1983)
                            Not many peeps I know remember this one, but I always thought it was pretty good. My favorite character was the cyclops.

Comment

If you're gonna go "Krull" (I saw it YEARS ago) then what about "The Sword And The Sorcerer" with Lee Horsley? I saw that a ton one Summer on cable in the early to mid 80's then never saw it again. It was on all the time. Constantly then poof - nowhere. With all the channels we have today you'd think it would show up, but many of those movies including "Beastmaster" seem to be forgotten unless you have it on dvd. I know all the movies you bring up very well

Comment

Working...
                              X