No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments to pilot??

Hello,

My manager is trying get my pilot out there and I appreciate the dedication (several nice meetings, etc), but he's suggested attaching a director?

Is this normal for a pilot? He has an experienced TV director in mind, who has expressed interest, but I thought a producer/showrunner would be a better choice?

Would a director attachment hinder things for future interest/development?

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Attachments to pilot??

it really depends. Is the director an episodic director or a pilot director? If they have never directed a pilot it could be a big hindrance. A show runner is for sure the most important piece but a director can definitely help. Also a production company? But you do have to be careful in terms of who the director is--but if you're manager thinks they can help than they could..

Comment

If you can get a director attached, do it.

Getting a show runner is great, but it could also depend on who you're pitching to. Some studios/networks might have show runners they like and others they don't, but a director isn't going to be around forever. They'll do the pilot, get an Executive Producer credit, and then they're gone.

Attachments can be a great help, especially if you're a new writer and this person is coming into the room with you. It's a battle for credibility when you have no credits.

Comment

It's very normal to try to attach a TV director but with the caveats people already mentioned above.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I had a director attached to one of my pilots before we were going to go out and pitch it. If helps if you are not a known name to bring someone with a name into the room who has already boarded the project.

Showrunners are scare and hard to get on other projects besides their own. Most of the time they are hired onto existing shows or put on them by the studio/network.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
          X