No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentioning feedback in query letters

Hi everyone,

I'm an unrepped, unproduced writer with a couple of contest placements and nothing much else to show for myself. My latest script got "Recommend" ratings from a bunch of coverage services, and great reviews from several producers, so I assume it isn't terrible.

I somehow gathered the courage to send a blind query to a famous oscar-nominated director. By some bizarre stroke of luck, he asked to read the script, and connected me with his manager to sign a release form.

A few weeks later, he sent me a page-long email with HEAPS of praise, and even mentioned the specific twists and turns that blew his mind, but ultimately passed on it. He even explained how he'd approach it if he directed it - so it all sounded very genuine and thoughtful. He CCed his manager in the response.

My question:
    1) Since his name carries a lot of weight, is it okay to mention the flattering things he said in my future query letters? Is that normal? Will people think I'm bluffing, since it's a private email exchange?
    2) Will validation from his own client prompt that manager to read the script? Is it okay for me to ask him to read the script and let me know if he's interested in representing me?

I'm a bit of a noob, and I'm a little confused about the protocol here. Hope someone here can help out.
    Thanks!
    DW

Re: Mentioning feedback in query letters

Don't do it. His email was intended for you, not the public. Would you want an email you wrote used by someone as an endorsement of themselves without your permission? The good news is, you don't need to mention his comments. Your script was good enough to get that glowing response, so let it stand on its own merits.

You definitely can, however, reach out to that manager because the director initiated that connection himself.
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Thanks a lot ProfessorChomp! I encountered a couple of self-promotion websites by screenwriters where they've included 1-line reviews next to each screenplay ("Gripping and full of surprises" - XYZ, Creative Executive, XYZ films, etc.) So I started to wonder if this is a common thing that I've been missing out on all this while. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

What about replying to the director to ask if he can suggest a manager? Or reach out to the manager he CCed?

Comment

I would imagine that he CCed his own manager to give him or her a heads up on your content.

While I totally understand where Professor Chomp is coming from, you basically accomplished something that is near impossible to do: You got your script, unrepped, to an Oscar nominated director - and you got direct feedback from him. I don't think it would hurt you to thank him very much for the feedback and the read, and politely ask if he minds if you mention his name and praise in queries to reps. Cc his rep on your response.

His manager may well reach out to you directly if he/she realizes that you don't already have representation, and the director may well offer other assistance if he realizes that as well. It never hurts to ask and it never hurts to be respectful. Congratulations on the impossible and all the best with your project.
          Last edited by amandag; 05-21-2018, 08:00 PM.
          https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Originally posted by amandag View Post
            While I totally understand where Professor Chomp is coming from, you basically accomplished something that is near impossible to do: You got your script, unrepped, to an Oscar nominated director - and you got direct feedback from him. I don't think it would hurt you to thank him very much for the feedback and the read, and politely ask if he minds if you mention his name and praise in queries to reps. Cc his rep on your response.

Even if the director agreed to that request, I wouldn't mention that sort of praise in a query. It's more than likely going to be perceived as amateurish. If a well known director felt that strongly about a piece of material, she would offer to direct it, or pass the script on to others herself. Anything short of that is just polite encouragement.

Keep querying and let your logline do its job. Mention the contest placements (if they are one of the very few highly regarded comps), and trust that your material will find its way into the right hands in good time.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
              Even if the director agreed to that request, I wouldn't mention that sort of praise in a query. It's more than likely going to be perceived as amateurish. If a well known director felt that strongly about a piece of material, she would offer to direct it, or pass the script on to others herself. Anything short of that is just polite encouragement.

Keep querying and let your logline do its job. Mention the contest placements (if they are one of the very few highly regarded comps), and trust that your material will find its way into the right hands in good time.
              Exactly. I wouldn't use blurbs in general, from a director or exec. It doesn't say "They loved this script", it says "They politely passed on it." A blurb means the script has already gone around the town and nobody bit.
              https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                I feel awkward about asking the director for any favors, since he's already been so unbelievably kind. As for the manager, I guess he would've already figured that I'm unrepped and looking for representation? (I signed a release form). I'll probably send the manager an email anyway - no harm in asking, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadweight View Post
                  As for the manager, I guess he would've already figured that I'm unrepped and looking for representation? (I signed a release form). I'll probably send the manager an email anyway - no harm in asking, I guess.
                  DEFINITELY shoot him an email.

As writers, we sometimes get stuck in our heads believing that anything that isn't a "yes" is, therefore, a pass. But it's not necessarily true. Things fall between the cracks all the time, and are forgotten until someone reaches out with an email to nudge it back into the light.

So reach out to this guy.

Maybe he'll want to rep you. Or have notes on the script. Or want to read something else by you. Or want to meet and discuss your career. Or have a buddy he can refer you to.

Or maybe he'll simply say, "I'm not available to take on new clients at this time. Good luck on your search!"

Whatever.

You'll never know if you don't ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X