Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True Detective, Season 2

How did nicky pizza get all this money and power to make what he wants? Is it because great scripts rise to the top?

Comment

Anybody else know what it's like to have blue balls in their hearts? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by silverscreenname View Post
        How did nicky pizza get all this money and power to make what he wants?
        You realize that your little attempt at humor makes you sound like a bigoted a-hole, right?

Originally posted by silverscreenname View Post
        Is it because great scripts rise to the top?
        Yeah, exactly. Because TD, Season 1 was one of the best things that EVER appeared on television.

Comment

Super insightful post, redturtle. Thank you for this.

Originally posted by redturtle View Post
          I think watching a show like this is actually a good learning experience. With exceptionally executed shows and films, they're seamless so you don't see the machinery underneath it.

Here, the flaws are all there.

Another major issue with this season so far are the individual scenes themselves. It's either poorly written, poorly directed, or both (most likely both). Notice how in many scenes, the actors are simply STANDING AROUND.

If any of you have acting or directing experience, one of the worst things to see in a scene are actors standing around. Because when a character has nothing to do, no action, no behavior, and there's nothing motivating them to just stand there, they end up announcing their dialogue (or it appears they announce their dialogue, while waiting for the other actor to say his/her lines. The actors are essentially trying to fake their way through, while feeling incredibly awkward just standing in place - and thus you end up with a bunch of unearned dramatic pauses and soap opera acting. Actors HATE this. HATE it. As they should. It's the cinematic equivalent of dead air on a radio show.

Say what you will about the actors, but this kind of thing is so basic amongst actors, that all of them are too experienced, having logged too many hours on set over many projects not to know that it's not working, moment-to-moment while on set, running the scenes through.

So even if the writing is written this way, it's the responsibility of the director to block the scene in a way that has some movement or propulsion, rather than just having actors standing in place, announcing their lines of dialogue. Most actors on set will push back because it's not authentic, real, natural, and will push for some activity - or work with the director to block the scene in a more dynamic way. (notice how much smoking is going on - any small activity for an actor to DO something so they're not stuck just emoting and delivering dialogue - because that's melodrama).

Finally, the most obvious moment of "I-don't-believe-this-scene-at-all-and-the-writing-sucks" is the scene with Rachel McAdams and Colin Farrell, sitting in the bar. They've pulled out from their bag of tricks the "ultra low register whispery voice" which actors do to feign a sense of gravitas when they are unable to find the truth of the scene (and making sure to fill the dead air/silences with smoking, drinking or any activity to substitute for real character behavior/motivation that will move the scene forward). And both actors are too experienced to not know how to break down a scene - both actors know the scene is underdeveloped and under-directed, and are doing the best job they can to cover it up as much as possible.

Comment

Last episode had a single interesting moment (the real rapist being caught).

Other than that moment, which had very convenient timing after all these years, ugh again.

The plot pieces are starting to come together, but it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
              You realize that your little attempt at humor makes you sound like a bigoted a-hole, right?.
              I care so much about what you think it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                Last episode had a single interesting moment (the real rapist being caught).

Other than that moment, which had very convenient timing after all these years, ugh again.

The plot pieces are starting to come together, but it's too late.
                Agree 100%.

There are signs of life in ep 5, but still too little, too late. The dialogue is so mind-bogglingly bad, the acting isn't much better, and even the production value is not up to par.

Other than the name of the show, this season shares nothing with last year.

Comment

I've tried. Sorry. But at this point, just wake me up when the big orgy episode arrives.
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  15,000+ Screenplays
                  [email protected]

Comment

Personally I found the season 1 story to be average. The first few episodes were slow, and I didn't really like the show until episode 4. I also didn't think the ending was in keeping with Matthew's character or the story they had told until that point.

It was Matthew's nihilistic viewpoint, and Woody's reaction to it that anchored and elevated the show.

There is no viewpoint in the second season to anchor and elevate the show. And now the story has to stand on its own.
                    826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmithteer View Post
                      Personally I found the season 1 story to be average. The first few episodes were slow, and I didn't really like the show until episode 4. I also didn't think the ending was in keeping with Matthew's character or the story they had told until that point.

It was Matthew's nihilistic viewpoint, and Woody's reaction to it that anchored and elevated the show.

There is no viewpoint in the second season to anchor and elevate the show. And now the story has to stand on its own.
                      This.

Comment

I'd label episode 6 "good," though again, too late. But it was nice to see an enjoyable hour of TV for once.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                          I'd label episode 6 "good," though again, too late. But it was nice to see an enjoyable hour of TV for once.
                          I liked this one, too. There was definitely some some strong character work.

The only thing that bothered me was that I think they might have gone just a little too far in revealing that Velcoro's kid is going to turn out to be his biological son. The set-up to effect that reversal was just slightly heavy-handed, and might have slipped past if there weren't so many beats to suggest it. It's still something I'm hoping to see, though, so I guess that makes it well-written by default.

Comment

I would say the last episode was good only in that something actually happened.

But there is no setup to anything. It's just like, they go from place to place and something happens or it doesn't happen. It's not like the series was building to this party set piece or the shootout. And there's nothing really at stake aside from the main characters lives.

And even then, everything happened fairly easily. We knew, god did we know, that Rachel McAdams was an expert at knives (how many times did they have to hammer that into our faces?) so when she grabbed the cheese knife we knew she would be fine.

Side note: I'm so sick of TV/Movies showing drugs working in a way that they don't work! Ecstasy doesn't work that way. Maybe Cosbyluddes or some kind of sedative would. Even benadryl would be more accurate.

Anyway, I'm watching now just because I've passed the point of no return.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                              It's just like, they go from place to place and something happens or it doesn't happen.
                              This. The story has no spine. It just moves forward like it's being pushed by a broom.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                                I would say the last episode was good only in that something actually happened.

But there is no setup to anything. It's just like, they go from place to place and something happens or it doesn't happen. It's not like the series was building to this party set piece or the shootout. And there's nothing really at stake aside from the main characters lives.

And even then, everything happened fairly easily. We knew, god did we know, that Rachel McAdams was an expert at knives (how many times did they have to hammer that into our faces?) so when she grabbed the cheese knife we knew she would be fine.

Side note: I'm so sick of TV/Movies showing drugs working in a way that they don't work! Ecstasy doesn't work that way. Maybe Cosbyluddes or some kind of sedative would. Even benadryl would be more accurate.

Anyway, I'm watching now just because I've passed the point of no return.

Yeah, Molly definitely doesn't work like that, and I scoffed at first, too. But then I realized I don't think it was actually supposed to be Molly. The other woman said that, but I think she was either lying or that's what she thought it was. It seemed pretty clear to me that they were implying the drug was actually some kind of Cosbyludde (lol). I have mixed feelings on this season, but I did think there was build-up to the party scene...the groundwork for that had been laid with the extravagant parties, the mayor's son "organizing events," and McAdam's sister being in the sex industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X