No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straight Outta Compton

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    While domestic violence is ugly and inexcusable, I never thought Dre's beating women had any place in this film. It is about NWA, not Dre. What happened between Dre and Dee needs to remain as that, between them. And it is his responsibility to fix what may be still broken. Whether he has or hasn't I don't see how domestic violence scenes would help anyone's cause.
    I think it may be because while they are telling their "truth" about how they are being treated by cops/society/lack of opportunity/not having a voice, ONE OF THEM IS ALSO stifling/beating down a woman he is supposed to protect and care about.... So, hypocrisy. Oppression is still oppression whether it's committed by a cop/society or by a husband/boyfriend.

Does that domestic situation have a place in the film, I don't know. But that's why people were questioning it, imo.

Comment

Yeah. But I don't see it as hypocrisy necessarily. I just see it as wrong and omitted to serve the purpose of the main story. I can understand Dee's bitterness. She's struggling to find meaningful work, still feeling physical pain, and Dre's damn near a billionaire.

I just hope the bitterness doesn't devour her because I'm not sure Dre will do anything more than what he's already done.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        I think it may be because while they are telling their "truth" about how they are being treated by cops/society/lack of opportunity/not having a voice, ONE OF THEM IS ALSO stifling/beating down a woman he is supposed to protect and care about.... So, hypocrisy. Oppression is still oppression whether it's committed by a cop/society or by a husband/boyfriend.

Does that domestic situation have a place in the film, I don't know. But that's why people were questioning it, imo.
        I think it could have had a place in the film, but it definitely would have had an impact on the viewers response, IMO.

Previously to watching the film, I knew nothing of Dre's beating women, and honestly, it doesn't sit well with me. I think ultimately for the movie's sake it was wise to omit it.

It's not supposed to be an exact depiction of their entire lives. It's meant to be entertaining-- which is very much was, but I'm torn, because the violence against women is a significant issue.

I'm not familiar with all of their tracks, but other than the event in the hotel with the groupie's boyfriend, it didn't seem there was anything to suspect any kind of misogyny-- even though I believe it did exist.

I still really liked the film-- but as a writer of films, I understand that there are omissions and possible fictionalizations. I don't think the general public necessarily understands this as often the problem with fictionalized historic events is that a portion of the population believes they are watching actual "history."
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          ... but as a writer of films, I understand that there are omissions and possible fictionalizations. I don't think the general public necessarily understands this as often the problem with fictionalized historic events is that a portion of the population believes they are watching actual "history."
          Yeah. Examples being Oscar season -- for any film about a real person there are smear campaigns to discredit it because it's not "how it really was."

On one hand, there could have been a direct thematic element to justify including it -- You are being oppressed (by cops/society) but are blind to the fact you are oppressing someone else -- and that could've been a lightbulb moment for a character arc--- but, it didn't happen that way, and as a writer, how much page space do you have to accomplish what you need to tell the MAIN story? Because everything else falls by the wayside, as it should.

Comment

Working...
          X