Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mass

Superb acting by Depp (Irish gangster, Whitey Bulger) and Joel Edgerton (as corrupt FBI agent John Connolly), but half way through, the novelty of exploding blood squibs and bullet ridden bodies wore thin.

And the women... I know it was the late 70's, but c'mon! From what I can recall, the female characters were mostly sex objects - wives, mistresses sulking in the kitchen/bedroom, or drug-addicted prostitutes. Sad to think that the latter decades of the last century were really still that awful for U.S. women?

The most interesting plot point was the contentious alliance between the three Boston "southies" (Bulger, his politician brother, and Connolly). But, eventually we didn't care about any of the grimy/slimy characters on either side of the law.

Oh, and does anyone know what the title is referring to? Surely it can't be the cliche' church scene where Depp's troubled character goes to reflect after a particularly rough period
    Last edited by bioprofessor; 10-03-2015, 01:29 PM.

Re: Black Mass

I agree with you, Bio. It held my interest, and the characters were chillingly, convincingly amoral, but I had no rooting interest. It did a great job of creating a cold-blooded atmosphere. I suspect mobsters tend to be more sexist than many nicer type husbands and boyfriends no matter what the era. These guys let everyone, male or female, know they intend to get what they want or there will be consequences.

Comment

i went in expecting something on the level of Goodfellas and got a Lifetime movie

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        i went in expecting something on the level of Goodfellas and got a Lifetime movie
        This comment makes me want to just wait for it to come on television instead of going to see in in theaters tomorrow
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
        X