Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie You Didn't Like But...

What movie did you not like when you first saw it but on a second or third viewing later in life you actually appreciated it? And what movie was panned by people but you kind of like it?

I saw the movie MICHAEL yesterday. That John Travolta angel movie. I saw that in the theater nearly 20 years ago and didn't care for it. Hated his character. I think it also got bad reviews. I saw it yesterday and I liked it. Still found his character annoying but I liked the mid 90's feel to some of it. It had moments when it was well done in my opinion. Something about it clicked this time with me. Not a favorite. Just I enjoyed it somewhat after years of avoiding it because I initially thought it sucked.

Re: Movie You Didn't Like But...

When I was at school we had to watch Morvern Callar over and over again. I didn't enjoy it the first time and each viewing that followed made it worse. It made an impression though so it popped into my head now and then in the years that followed. When I eventually did revisit it everything clicked for me.

My favourite film is probably The Shining but it was a rough road getting there. I was about 7 when I woke up and watched the ending with my Dad which was enough to put me off for a while. When I watched it properly I was angry because it was nothing like King's novel. After swallowing that pill I could see it for what it is.

As for panned films I enjoyed I just saw Johnny Mnemonic and Event Horizon and had a great time with both of them. EDIT: To be fair to Paul W.S. Anderson I still think that the first Mortal Kombat film is pretty great.

I remember seeing Michael a bunch of times when I was a child and I enjoyed it. I think I saw it a few years ago and it still held up for me.

Comment

You know what's interesting about THE SHINING to me? I'm a fan of the film but I've also seen it too many times. So I felt no desire to watch it for about 3 years (maybe more) then I saw that documentary on Netflix about all the hidden meanings Kubrick planted in the film that had even deeper meaning that I could ever imagine. I have since watched it again with renewed vigor because of that and I'm in amazement if even some of the meanings people interpret are true. Such a genius Kubrick.

Comment

Being There
        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Ashamed to say it but Aloha.. Iv watched it three times now and the third spin actually started to enjoy it.. The whole story started to fit into place..I'm a big Cameron Crowe fan so if tried to figure out why it sucked so bad. Iv concluded that it's the edit that scrambles up the whole thing. The final scene where his daughter recognises that's her dad in the middle of hula class is the heart of the whole film. It's just unfortunate that there's a bit too much going on and Emma stone seems far too energetic to take seriously. A film with all the right elements..that's been brutalised in the editing suite.

Comment

Working...
          X