Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brick

If noir was dame, her name would be Boobsie.

sigpic

Comment

If Mr. Malone and I ever get around to having kids, I'm totally naming our first born, "Noir."

Of course, if you read this post and then my earlier post about Adam and Noir K-I-S-S-I-N-G... well, it's creepy.

But, hey, I can think of worse future son-in-laws (are you cool with this if we have a son?).
      "Boobsie is Tassle. Exotic dancer, exotic private investigator. Icy Stoli cranberry gives her the superhuman ability to project her voice to deadly decibel levels." -- StrayGatsby

Comment

If Mr. Malone and I ever get around to having kids, I'm totally naming our first born, "Noir."
        If I were you, I wouldn't tell Mr. Malone about this plan.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
        It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
        -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Boobsie Malone View Post
          If Mr. Malone and I -- having kids --
          This is the part I'm not telling Mr. Malone about. I can spring the name thing on him later...
          "Boobsie is Tassle. Exotic dancer, exotic private investigator. Icy Stoli cranberry gives her the superhuman ability to project her voice to deadly decibel levels." -- StrayGatsby

Comment

Those of you bashing this film should go back and give it another look. This is seriously clever. Don't you guys remember what high school was like? That was the whole universe, there was nothing beyond it, nothing. The way the film utilizes these desolate sports fields and empty car parks, the way there is a kid of hazy fog beyond the immediate location, as if to suggest if you ventured beyond it you would fall off the edge of the world, its brilliant. Witness the complete lack of the adult beyond the most simple archtype; the mother and the principle.

Of course the dialogue is the way that it is. Its supposed to resonate against the mentaility of that age. A time in your life where even the smallest or most insignificant of things was blown up to an epic confrontation, a battle to be waged in the hallway or school cafateria. This is high school from the inside out, and it rings very true if you look at it in the correct light.
            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Boobsie Malone View Post

Of course, if you read this post and then my earlier post about Adam and Noir K-I-S-S-I-N-G... well, it's creepy.

But, hey, I can think of worse future son-in-laws (are you cool with this if we have a son?).

Call him Gloves.
              sigpic

Comment

Motif would be a smart one too.

Marquis would no doubt read:
                Boobsie had Motif at 8:47pm on July 20 of this year. The child's first words were, "Say, are you on the level?"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                  Those of you bashing this film should go back and give it another look. This is seriously clever. Don't you guys remember what high school was like? That was the whole universe, there was nothing beyond it, nothing. The way the film utilizes these desolate sports fields and empty car parks, the way there is a kid of hazy fog beyond the immediate location, as if to suggest if you ventured beyond it you would fall off the edge of the world, its brilliant. Witness the complete lack of the adult beyond the most simple archtype; the mother and the principle.

Of course the dialogue is the way that it is. Its supposed to resonate against the mentaility of that age. A time in your life where even the smallest or most insignificant of things was blown up to an epic confrontation, a battle to be waged in the hallway or school cafateria. This is high school from the inside out, and it rings very true if you look at it in the correct light.
                  I think you're right on the money.

Comment

It's like David Lynch had a son or daughter, and they decided to make a high-school feature - while still at high-school! lol

An interesting movie to add to the genre - and the twist with it being set in high-school makes it refreshing - and almost *more* dangerous.

EJ

Comment

The script also makes an interesting read.

If not to fully enjoy the dialogue , but also for the occasional directors comments actually made on the script.

To view the script in pdf, click here: http://www.rcjohnso.com/brickscript/BrickScript.pdf

EJ

Comment

I just finished reading the script -- it was a tough read, quite confusing, but that is not to degenerate the material, it's just very hazy if you are not clued in film noir beyond the usual. I found the language a barrier, which noir books can give me a better understanding of this language?

Now I need to see the film and then re-read the script.
                        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I finally saw Brick a week or two ago, and personally I thought it was great. Yeah, the dialog was a bit tricky for me to get, but the overall tone of the film was definately Noir. It worked on a lot of levels for me.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X