• Show
Clear All

• Sad reading

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2...N-t1YUjPce1fyg

In my mind I vote for bad dog
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: Sad reading

Man. Tough time to break in. Anyway, out of those scripts I've only read Don't Worry Darling. I thought it was ok. I agree the Satan's dog script seems fun.

Savior seems most interesting to me. That's a neat concept. I wonder what's the payoff? Regardless of how it's written I think Hollywood will be extremely careful in dealing with the global conspiracy angle. Reminds me of the old video game Deus Ex in a way. Not sure it would be released as it is today.

Comment

Besides media, don't forget the EBook and Paperback format markets as well. I have had many paperbacks through Amazon and they have come out excellent. EBooks also have no shelf life and places like Smashwords as well as Amazon have many ways to promote those formats, and finally a thought. Amazon now makes films and that has begun to accelerate. It might be easier for them to take notice and go with something based on book content. Just thoughts, but readers like viewers are always looking for new titles and the potential Amazon movie tie in is a thought. Good luck.

Comment

My theory is there must be a BIT of a self-fulfilling prophecy happening here.

The peak TV bubble has gobbled up so much of the money and talent. Features only care about IP, everyone says, and they're making fewer and fewer films, so best do TV.

But won't the natural result be... talented people spend much less time writing spec scripts? So studios see even less opportunities, and buy less scripts?

Nobody can predict the future, except you kind of can: comic book movies can't last forever. Because nothing does last forever. Maybe, just maybe, now is the time to be writing original features that have franchise potential, while the space has been mostly abandoned by A-list talent.

I'm only 32, and I've lived through Burton's Batman, Schumacher's Batman, Nolan's Batman reboot, Synder's Batman's reboot, and now Reeves' Batman reboot is due out next year. Maybe there will be Batman reboots until the day I die, but they can't do this with EVERY property. Unless writers don't try. At the end of the day, new ideas will only come from writers, so it's on us to take on the risk, even when it seems like the market doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
          Maybe, just maybe, now is the time to be writing original features that have franchise potential, while the space has been mostly abandoned by A-list talent.

... At the end of the day, new ideas will only come from writers, so it's on us to take on the risk, even when it seems like the market doesn't exist.
          ⇧ This is a writing plan with which I heartily agree.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-16-2020, 06:29 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
            Thanks for sharing. It was a fascinating read.
            Manfred Lopez Grem
            WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Looked at this manager's twitter because Bono posted it about something else in another thread.

Breakdown of what's getting made as opposed to 2000.

"... As he notes, back in 2000, this was the genre breakdown at the box office:
              Action/Adventure: 35%
              Comedy/Romantic Comedy: 25%
              Drama 23%
              Horror/Thriller: 13%
              Other: 4%

This is what that looks like today:

Action/adventure: 60%
              Horror/thriller: 17%
              Drama: 12%
              Comedy/Romantic Comedy: 7%
              Other: 4%

https://twitter.com/johnzaozirny/sta...85333424111617