No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Greenlight Season 4

Originally posted by bill the scholar
    Very cool. And, yeah, I wish season 3 was on DVD 'cause I still haven't seen it
    Have you tried "YouTube?" Below is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...light+episodes
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Lisa, you made my weekend. I'd never seen these (I don't think they aired in the UK) so I binge watched all three series. Oh man.

I watched them in reverse order, so when they picked that Philip Seymour Hoffman guy in S3 I kept thinking, Jesus - why this near-mute introvert? Then of course I watched S2 and realised, oh right - after these dickwads no wonder they went 180 the other way.

Of course it's all silly and TV and manipulated, but I still think it gives a fun insight into the insanity of making a film - especially on a tiny budget, where perfectly regular screw-ups can't be masked over with cash. Best of all it shows that directing is 90% logistics and deals and meetings, 10% standing against a sunset making a frame with your hands.

Hope I get to see S4 at some point.
      My stuff

Comment

Only the first season was screened by Sky in the UK. I had to watch second season on DVD.
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Wow this thing is a trainwreck.

I can't decide if this is how truly absurd Hollywood is (especially indie productions), or if some of this drama is being purposely instigated/scripted and heightened by editing to make good TV.

When Pete Farrelly quits, is that for real or did someone decide to sprinkle more drama on the show?

Personally, I'd like to see a little less drama and more insight to how they crafted the story, etc, but I'm no reality TV exec. They do have me hooked wondering where this thing is going. I can't wait to see the end result, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
            Wow this thing is a trainwreck.

I can't decide if this is how truly absurd Hollywood is (especially indie productions), or if some of this drama is being purposely instigated/scripted and heightened by editing to make good TV.

When Pete Farrelly quits, is that for real or did someone decide to sprinkle more drama on the show?

Personally, I'd like to see a little less drama and more insight to how they crafted the story, etc, but I'm no reality TV exec. They do have me hooked wondering where this thing is going. I can't wait to see the end result, too.
            Totally! I couldn't believe Effie's reaction to that. It went downhill so quickly. She has such a huge self-invented chip on her shoulder. If she was going to be upset at anyone, it should have been at Jason.

Less drama and more about the actual process would be awesome, but I doubt we'll get it.

Comment

It was so funny when Effie tripped in her office, I think she was trying to shoo the camera man out so he didn't tape the convo-- I couldn't stop laughing, **** like that happens to me.

And, Jason, my love, you're not going to find that estate that you find here in Connecticut in LA, you're so going to have to settle... Unless, of course, you go to Atlanta for the tax rebates-- I thought Effie was going to blow a fuse...

I think it's a lot of fun and can't want til they start shooting.

I would've loved to have seen Jason's "pimp walk." Ha!
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Farrelly probably got a gig and the pullout scene was the created drama to explain his otherwise sudden disappearance maybe? Who knows? Only the producer(s) and their hairdresser(s) know for certain. But Effie's reaction to it seemed like the unexpected reversal of a contrived reality piece, aka 'unprofessional,' which is probably the intended effect. Jason's dilemma over film versus digital is more time-filler, too, maybe? Again, who knows? Only the producer(s) and their hairdresser(s) know for certain. Stay tuned!
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I found it strange how they never told us the reason the writer had to bolt.

"Gotta catch a plane."

"Contractual obligations."

Poorly-timed vacation?

It was an amusing about face from the beginning of the show. And refreshing for Jason to freely admit he needs the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                    I found it strange how they never told us the reason the writer had to bolt.

"Gotta catch a plane."

"Contractual obligations."

Poorly-timed vacation?

It was an amusing about face from the beginning of the show. And refreshing for Jason to freely admit he needs the help.
                    They did. Effie said that it was never part of his contract that he stayed, and it was for budgetary reasons.

Comment

Not too fond of Effie. She is causing drama all the time, sort of passive aggressively, always on the verge of crying, not handling unexpected things very well(you would think a producer should be able to do this), always indignant, has no artistic sense whatsoever etc.
                      But I suppose that is good for the show, just not for the movie they are making. "The Leisure Class" seems to be a very interesting movie though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                        Not too fond of Effie. She is causing drama all the time, sort of passive aggressively, always on the verge of crying, not handling unexpected things very well(you would think a producer should be able to do this), always indignant, has no artistic sense whatsoever etc.
                        But I suppose that is good for the show, just not for the movie they are making. "The Leisure Class" seems to be a very interesting movie though.
                        Agree, she is exactly the type of producer I hate - one that is totally fixated on the bottom line and protecting her reputation with the studio.

She could have very quickly nipped the "film versus digital" debate in the bud by simply taking the proposal to HBO and the executive producers and letting them say no (or as they ended up doing: "yes!"). Instead, she just put up an uneccessary roadblock.

Comment

I like the show obviously, but appreciated this tweet from Craig Mazin,

"This has been coming up a bit lately. Questions starting with "Well, on Project Greenlight..." to which the answer is: NO. FAKE. STOP. NEXT."

Comment

Here's the trailer for The Leisure Class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_i0DEPdtcc

Comment

Jason seems like a cool director with a strong vision. I'd hire him. But when it comes to Effie...different story.

Comment

I couldn't help but imagine the poor actor's face when they told him he was out of the film because they didn't want someone black playing the limo driver.

Comment

Working...
                                X