Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

I was a finalist in 2017, which means I got access to everything for free plus a few special panels and events for semi-finalists and above. And you get invited to the awards luncheon, of course (and I knew from my seating arrangement that I wasn't going to win.LOL)

I totally agree with NoNeck that it's a cash grab for the most part. However, if you do place high, it's probably worth going. My category was spec TV episode, so I didn't get a lot of attention for obvious reasons. But I'd wager that finalists with original material got their their scripts into some hands. I'd love to hear from those people whether or not they were able to secure a rep or interest from producers from being a finalist.

And everything they say about the Driscoll is true. That's where it all happens.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      I was a finalist in 2017, which means I got access to everything for free plus a few special panels and events for semi-finalists and above. And you get invited to the awards luncheon, of course (and I knew from my seating arrangement that I wasn't going to win.LOL)

I totally agree with NoNeck that it's a cash grab for the most part. However, if you do place high, it's probably worth going. My category was spec TV episode, so I didn't get a lot of attention for obvious reasons. But I'd wager that finalists with original material got their their scripts into some hands. I'd love to hear from those people whether or not they were able to secure a rep or interest from producers from being a finalist.

And everything they say about the Driscoll is true. That's where it all happens.
      as others have noted elsewhere, think of it more like ComiCon but for writers. if you place high enough in the contest to generate some heat with someone you meet there, all the better. but it's mostly one weekend of the year where a lot of aspiring and pro writers can gather to just talk about writing and movies and ****. whether that's actually worth the outlay for a badge, room, and travel is a totally fair calculation. but by and large i find i get a pretty good value even as spendy as it can be

Comment

Originally posted by Molly Maguire View Post
        You know there's an "opt out" link at the bottom of the email, right?
        Does that actually work? I gave up on the "opt out" buttons years ago when it seemed to me it was an acknowledgement of life to the spammers. Most times I tried to "opt out" it tripled the spam I got.

But I guess I could try that.

One time, years ago, I got on the mailing list of a conservative website (probably from a stupid online poll), and my email became a dumping ground for their spam. I kept "opting out" which they would acknowledge, but they kept me on the their email list anyway.

I finally shook them by finding the email address of the woman who edited this online magazine. Sent to her and asked her to be removed. She acknowledged I'd be removed, but it didn't happen.

Next step. I started sending the spam to a liberal online magazine, CCing the woman editor and stating something like this, in each one: "These assh*les won't take me off their mailing list".

After three times of doing this the woman editor sent me a non-robot email saying that she gave instructions that my name be removed from the mailing list.

Haven't gotten anything from them, since then.

But none of this is really the point of my message. The point being is AFF a cash grab? (Slight exaggeration.) I'd say yes if they're sending frequent emails giving you opportunities to spend your cash in each one.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
        X