Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayward Pines

The new M. Night Shyamalan show began in the UK tonight. I think the US are getting it tonight as well on Fox (?) but we get it earlier

Stars Matt Dillon, Toby Jones & Juliette Lewis.

Episode one wasn't bad, even if it's basically recycling riffs on Twin Peaks, Lost and The Prisoner.

Re: Wayward Pines

Watched the first episode last night, it felt a little laboured in a couple of places but overall I'm keen to keep watching and see where it goes.
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'll keep watching for a while but it felt like an extended Twilight Zone episode. And then it was obliterated from my mind when I watched the finale of American Crime, the best show I've seen on network television since... well, since forever.

Late Night Writer

Comment

God, the dialogue drove me nuts. Seemed like film noir directed as lazily as possible.

Great concept executed terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
          ...directed as lazily as possible.
          Great concept executed terribly.
          So in other words it was Shyamalanic.

I was mildly intrigued by the first episode, but I won't be watching any more.

I hate it when characters don't behave remotely like a real human being would, e.g., Agent Whosit (the Matt Dillon character) after being in a terrible car accident, in which his partner was killed, and waking up in a hospital so creepy that he decides it's best to rip out his IV and flee, goes to a bar and asks to use the phone. He calls his wife, on their home phone, but he gets the answering machine, so he leaves a message. Fine. But any normal human being would then immediately call his wife's cell phone. And if she didn't answer that, he would text her. And then he would call his teenage son's cell phone. And then text him. And then he would call his boss at the Secret Service to check in. None of that happens - instead Agent Whosit hands the phone back to the bartender and then goes to a hotel and goes to bed for the night.

And that's hardly the only example of ridiculously implausible sequences in the first episode.

I have better things to do than watch painfully stupid shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
            And that's hardly the only example of ridiculously implausible sequences in the first episode.

I have better things to do than watch painfully stupid shows.
            I'm familiar with the novels, and I know the twist coming at the end of the first season. It's pretty fantastic (and the kind of twist that makes you want to see more). Too bad the series is going to lose most of its audience before it reaches that point.

Comment

Twist comes midway, I believe.

Comment

Now that the twist has been revealed, what do people think?

Comment

Originally posted by WatchingPreacher View Post
                  Now that the twist has been revealed, what do people think?
                  That was the twist? Really?

SPOILER ALERTS:

I like the look of the town, and would watch it just for the scenery but since Juliette Lewis and Terrence Howard left I've been, well, a little miffed. This is one of those "plots" where you think none of this would have happened if the lunatic/idealistic doctor had just explained to everyone what had happened and what they all needed to do. A little tour to look at the creatures outside the wall would have kept the populace from trying to sneak outside.

Where do they get all the new furniture and household goods if they don't have any in-town manufacturing or department stores?

The whole thing is pretty silly.

I thought the twist was going to be when they explained the compressed time stuff.

It's definitely no SNOWPIERCER.

But, sucker that I am, I'll watch to the end.

Comment

Ridiculous.

Comment

Still minorly interested, with no knowledge of the source material I'd nope for another twist at some stage... Dillion isn't quite as Keanu-equse as the first few eps
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Tough crowd. Have to say I'm really enjoying this (haven't finished it though.)

Comment

I agree that the reveal is very... Well, as my buddy says, "there's more holes than plot". It is now the kind of show you're going to watch only to see how ridiculous and stupid it's going to become.

It doesn't appear to be any reason behind actually telling people what's going on (except for the fact that it's a mystery-show, so there has to be a mystery), and while it does answer a few questions the whole narrative falls down on some of the mystifying decisions... Like "why have Pam, the horrifying nurse, wake them up at the hospital?" The new arrivals should be made to feel safe, not thinking "this nurse is going to kill me".

Aside from the fact that the show's internal logic seems to suffer a breakdown (how did they manage to keep these monsters away long enough to build the town? Where did they get the furniture? The wood? How did they construct the wall?), I just thought it was poorly handled. The episode was a powerpoint-presentation called "The Truth", where they just explained everything. Was it audacious? Yes. Did it work? Eeeeh... I didn't think so.

The first four episodes have been so leisurely in terms of story development. I mean, the two first were alright, an intriguing start to the mystery, but if I would've done this adaptation (having read the books), I think I'd go full-in and make these first five episodes the three first. The two first would be a sort of mini-movie, introducing the characters and the location and ending with Ethan killing the Sheriff. The third episode would be the real, terrifying consequences to that, with Ethan being kidnapped by Pam in a "What will we do to you?"-sort of way. Then Pilcher would come in and say "Will you take a walk with me?" and convince him that the world was dangerous, the town needs protection, there's no going back and do you want to be Sheriff?

Fourth episode would start with Ethan being Sheriff and then his family trying to find out what happened, but Ethan knowing Pilcher (Toby Jones delivering a fantastic performance, by the way) would be watching and can't tell them. Then we'd learn that Ben knows the truth, creating a very tense family situation.

Watching the show, it seems like a lot of the things that happen come in the wrong order and doesn't feel like it has real consequences. Ethan kills the Sheriff at the end of one episode, then gets rid of the body and goes back to town... Only to learn that HE'S become Sheriff! SHUCKS. This town sure is weird, isn't it? Right guys?

Another example is in episode five, where we learn about the cryo-freeze thing from Hope Davis before we hear what the guy Ethan's wife is "selling" that house to remembers from waking up. Why? It's no longer interesting hearing the characters talking about a mystery we've already got the answer to - especially in this show, where the plot seems to happen around the characters more than to them.

The strange thing is, if they'd just dropped the twist and told us the premise like this; "It's the last town on a post-apocalyptic Earth. The year is 4028. A mad scientist saw the decline of humanity coming and preserved hundred of us so our species wouldn't die out... This is the town Ethan Burke wakes up in. This is the town he'll have to protect. This is the last of humanity.", that's a show I'd watch. It feels like, after five episodes of dilly-dallying around, the story can finally begin. So I am interested in seeing where they go now, even if I've read the two first books.

Comment

Okay, I caught up with the reveal... and I'm still very much into it. Looking forward to where it goes next.

Comment

I've never read the books, but the premise intrigued me. However, the "twist" is just absurd on so many levels. I honestly don't know where to begin with all the plot holes/illogical questions it raises. A few that immediately come to mind...

How are they retroactively sending people into the future? They didn't send Ethan's family until they started snooping around. How did the Sherrif, who lives 2,000 years in the future, sabotage their car? How does the doctor in the past know that the people are arriving in the future, or that his town is even set-up/working, since he has his idea 2,000 years ago? How are people in cryostasis for 2,000 years, then magically appearing in the same time/place as Wayward Pines? How does the town have a continual supply of food, resources, etc. if they're living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? When was the town actually built? If the doctor magically knew all this was going to happen in the past, why didn't he try to avert it/warn higher-ups about it? (Which apparently he did, to an extent, since in the past we see him meeting with Ethan's Secret Service boss. Which begs the question, why is there no government involvement in the future?) And shouldn't they be trying to resurrect humanity rather than chilling in Pleasantville?

Comment

Working...
                              X