Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
lostfootage
Regular

Default Re: Do you have any show recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I never even heard of Party Down! That's how many gazillion shows there are out.

I vaguely remember seeing a billboard about Get Shorty and wanting to see it because I love the movie so much. Plus, I tend to like stuff about Hollywood or movie making. I haven't gotten to it because it wasn't high on my priority list, but since you say it's good, I might bump it up.
What was so fun about it was the mobsters not only sell a screenplay to Hollywood, they start filming their movie. So through the second half of the season you go through casting and the first days of production which are HYSTERICAL. They decide to film a movie set in England in Pahrump, Nevada. They have this massive set, and it looks pretty real -- until they get wind/dust storms. I can't explain how funny it is. Just watch the trailer, it will tell you if this a show you're going to love, or not.

Here's the trailer for Season 2 (it doesn't give anything away). In the list on the side is the trailer for Season 1. It really was my favorite show of the last year, followed closely by Russian Doll on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761496...er/vi220707609

And Party Down has become a cult hit. The first season has Jane Lynch, Adam Scott and Martin Starr right before they got Glee, Parks and Rec, and Silicon Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT2DOz2McW8
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Mindhunter, Mindhunter, Mindhunter.

Trust me on this.
Seconded

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #13
RogerOThornhill

Imagine a world before internet, before a lot of cable channels. Back in the day when the three networks were television... there came a show that launched with little fanfare, but as people heard about it, they started tuning in by episode 5 or 6. The network (very wisely) re-broadcast the first episodes so the growing audience could see it from the start. Before chat rooms and smart phones, someone actually verbally told me I HAD to see it!

TWIN PEAKS 90-91

Today it does not seem so quirky and bizarre, but at the time it came onto TV screens around 1990 nothing like it had really ever been seen. Unlike the standard formula of that era of solving a case in every episode, the murder in Twin Peaks took two seasons to be unraveled. Something happened to Laura Palmer and we watched devotedly every week until we discovered what the heck happened.
RogerOThornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
Imagine a world before internet, before a lot of cable channels. Back in the day when the three networks were television... there came a show that launched with little fanfare, but as people heard about it, they started tuning in by episode 5 or 6. The network (very wisely) re-broadcast the first episodes so the growing audience could see it from the start. Before chat rooms and smart phones, someone actually verbally told me I HAD to see it!

TWIN PEAKS 90-91

Today it does not seem so quirky and bizarre, but at the time it came onto TV screens around 1990 nothing like it had really ever been seen. Unlike the standard formula of that era of solving a case in every episode, the murder in Twin Peaks took two seasons to be unraveled. Something happened to Laura Palmer and we watched devotedly every week until we discovered what the heck happened.

I'm obsessed with Twin Peaks (the original version). But, I only discovered it on dvd, after the fact. Boy was I shocked how good it was. Surprised that it was on network TV. It's the kind of show you wish was on TV more. Very intriguing show...and that theme song, wow.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
lostfootage
Regular

So I guess my next show is Mindhunter.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote