At a loss as to what to do next... pay for script consulting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At a loss as to what to do next... pay for script consulting?

A producer passed on my script, is letting me submit a re-write. I have not re-written yet however... and don't have the money to pay someone to consult as of present. If I had the money, I could benefit enormously because the script would be a lot better and I'm considering signing up for TriggerStreet just to get some free feedback on the script.

TS however, is quite lame in the sense that people don't give a reasonably fleshed-out account of their opinions of the script and who knows how valid the opinion of other users on there would be, perhaps their knowledge of screenwriting isn't that good yet.

Any thoughts? Should I find the money to pay someone to look at it?

Ta.
    Last edited by Hazeem; 01-05-2006, 03:36 AM.

Re: At a loss as to what to do next... pay for script consulting?

Was it on this board someone said a pro writer used to post his latest specs on Zoetrope to "test the waters" and better anticipate the responses of readers. But this was in the early days of the site and you would probably receive more useful feedback now posting a photo of the script on HOTorNOT.com

There's always the Script Pages board if you have a problem scene?

Anyway... didn't the producer give you any notes or pointers? If not, perhaps they are not really that interested in the project.
    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

I posted my script on Zoetrope and Trigger Street, and I have to say the quality of the reviews I'm getting on Zoe is so much better. In fact, of the 5 reviews I've gotten there, all have been helpful in some way, even if it is a small way. With Trigger Street, not one of the three gave me any real feedback. They seemed to spend more time proving they read the script than taking it apart. Also, the TS reviews were short, and I mean like 1-2 short paragraphs, whereas the Zoe reviews varied, but one was 3 pages.

If you're going to post your script, I'd suggest Zoetrope over TS. At least this is my current experience (my script has been live on both boards for 1 week now).

Either way, good luck with it.

Comment

I've used some of those peer review sites myself. They are real spotty in terms of the quality of the feedback you receive. However, they are free.

For what it's worth, I discovered an awesome script analyst named Ken Salikof. He lives in New York and is a freelance reader for some of the big production companies and literary agencies that have offices there. He gave great feedback and seems to be in touch with what is commercial in today's market -- because he's actively reading for producers and lit agencies. He also include an in-depth phone consultation in addition to his written analysis. The only problem is that he will definitely charge you. His number is 917-930-4391. It's worth a call to feel him out. I don't believe he has a website.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

You sound like you have not received any sort of notes or direction from this producer. Did he/she specifically come back to you and say "this is good, but I think you should change x, y, and z?" or did you just manage to convince them it'd be worth a second look if you rewrote it blindly without knowing what they felt worked and what didn't, in which case maybe you'd be wasting your time.

Comment

Go Zoe.
            "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
            Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

I'd try to cultivate relationships with writers and filmmakers you know and trust. Some of the best notes I get on my scripts are from people right on this very message board who I've taken the time to get to know. They're no longer strangers to me so I count them among my friends.

I used Zoetrope early on and had similar experiences to many here ... widely disparate notes quality.

Best notes I get are from a speech writer turned filmmaker who kicks me in the groin every single time, but his ideas for improving my story are downright brilliant. His notes prove one thing to me ... nothing is ever finished ... as he's shredded two scripts that I considered ready for prime time. I am grateful to receive such humiliation, because it shows me I'm still learning.
              http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Hairy, I'm available to humiliate you whenever you like. Oh wait; Billy's trying to cut in ahead of me.

Comment

Money flows TO the writer...

I'd suggest finding writers at your level and swapping scripts with them for feedback. Ask *here* to see if anyone would be interested in reading your script. Of course, you'll have to read their scripts...

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

As a producer, I would be happy to read your script and give you some feedback. I'll PM you the email address.

Comment

dfields ... you're a "producer"? Could you elaborate?
                      " Life is high school with money. " Frank Zappa

Comment

lame frank.
                        "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808
                          lame frank.
                          Yes, since you went all over this in One on One, huh?

Tig

Comment

Wrong as usual Tig.

Lame, because someone is trying to do something nice, and someone has to come out of the woodwork to play the what are your qualifications card.
                            "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808
                              Wrong as usual Tig.

Lame, because someone is trying to do something nice, and someone has to come out of the woodwork to play the what are your qualifications card.
                              Yeah, since you were the one making fun of her and now has changed your tune since the link to her site and pic is posted there.

And we see who jumped on the bandwagon with you.

Tig

Comment

Working...
                              X