No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new agent

Hey all,

I am in the process of leaving my agency after several years. They are a big agency and it was time.

I have a manager who has been v supportive of this decision.

I am quite established in the industry and have several supporters (producers, execs etc.) who are offering to help me land a great agent.

My manager is querying a few agents at the other major agencies and we are waiting for responses.

I am wondering... what is the protocol re: the referrals coming from other people besides my manager?

Can I accept a referral that isn't coming from my manager i.e. take the producers/execs up and have them query on my behalf? Do I have to loop my manager in immediately? Should I discuss it with him? I don't mean to go off and do my own thing- but I do wonder if I have a better chance at getting a fast read from a slightly more "personal" approach. Essentially it's the age-old conundrum of making sure I don't piss the dude off, but also ensuring that I put myself in the best position.

Another question: is it best to approach agents at an agency (say, WME) one by one? at the risk of getting passes? or is it okay to put out as many feelers as possible, at the same time? I feel like dropping simultaneous submissions might work best because they wouldn't necessarily have time to cross-check with each other- and we all know what one person's opinion has on another within the agency...
    if weeks go by and I get one or two passes I am afraid that it will "taint" me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TravisPickle; 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM.

Re: Getting a new agent

Referrals can come from anyone in the business. If you listen to yesterday's Scriptnotes podcast with August and Mazin, they have an agent on who talks about this.

I would try every avenue to gather meetings, then meet agents, then decide who you want to sign with. It might be worth finding out who these execs sent you to, or once a meeting comes in, to run it by your manager to get their feedback. You don't want to meet with someone your manager doesn't care for.

Most of the agencies work in teams or share clients so chances are your work will be read by one agent then passed around, if not submitted to a couple at once.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks ducky

It's hard to know who belongs to which team at the agencies especially since (I'm assuming) they change depending on the project.

would you say that there is a risk of alienating an agent if he/she gets approached by too many people about me?

Example:
      An agent called me the other day saying they were interested and that my script is being read by a bunch of lit agents. No idea which ones. Let's say i "activate" my personal contacts, and they happen to ping the same agents who are reading my material internally. Could that be a productive move or could it be seen as too pushy? Keeping in mind that it would be coming from very established people who are taking the time to vouch for me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
        Thanks ducky

It's hard to know who belongs to which team at the agencies especially since (I'm assuming) they change depending on the project.

would you say that there is a risk of alienating an agent if he/she gets approached by too many people about me?

Example:
        An agent called me the other day saying they were interested and that my script is being read by a bunch of lit agents. No idea which ones. Let's say i "activate" my personal contacts, and they happen to ping the same agents who are reading my material internally. Could that be a productive move or could it be seen as too pushy? Keeping in mind that it would be coming from very established people who are taking the time to vouch for me.

Thanks
        If you have a couple of established people putting in a good word with an agent that's reading your script, that's a good thing. You should do your best to find out who has the script (and really, nobody is going to fault you for wanting to know) and then hit up your contacts for a quick email or call.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
          Thanks ducky

Example:

Thanks
          Most work together with the same agents because they are in the same department. My TV agents usually rep clients all together. I have a point agent who I deal with more but they are all on my team and rep others as a team. Sort of the same in features - with teams.

Probably the more reputable people whispering in an agent's ear about you, the better.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
          X