Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to get coverage?

What do you folks recommend - getting coverage on a first draft, or going through rewrites independently, and then getting the coverage?

I am anxious to get some pro feedback right away, and it may be helpful to get notes (and confirm what I believe to be weaknesses) from a pro source BEFORE I get buried in rewrites. However, I wonder if I should move forth with trying to perfect the script and thus sending out a stronger script for coverage - and maybe get some notes I didn't anticipate.

Re: When to get coverage?

If you know what's wrong 'instinctively' with your script, then make those changes.

We all know changes to make, but are too often lazy to make them. lol.

EJ

Comment

IMO definitely re-write it before paying for coverage. Especially for a first draft. Go through as many re-writes as you can independently. Then swap scripts with someone here to get more notes.

Comment

Try and get other writers to give you reads and maybe provide notes to help you through consecutive drafts.

I can list 5 reasons to produce 5 consecutive drafts.

#1 rewrite dialolgue

#2 rewrite action

#3 ensure each page is a turner has cliff hangers built-in to make readers turn to the next page

#4 rewrite first 10 pages and ensure this reads like the best 10 pages you ever read

#5 ensure you use present tense

#6 increase the use of appropriate action verbs

Sorry, that's six reasons to write six drafts.

#7 WHAMMOs occur on every 10 pages

That's another reason and the 7th draft.

You could take this to 10 and treat each draft separately in order to complete the lots of reasons to rewrite.. There are more..

You want your coverage provided to reflect what you've done correctly and what you may have missed so you get a lift up to that ultimate draft.. Hopefully..

Comment

Great list Kevan. Let me back up a bit and add that I have re-written a TON. For acts one and two. The first two acts I've ripped apart, scrutinized, dropped scenes, dropped characters, added scenes and have examined and corrected a few of the items you mention on your list. I've only recently wrote the third act - and pretty much all at once. Since I have 3 acts now and have typed FADE OUT, I consider that to be the first draft. (I compusively save my scripts, so I actually have like over 40 "draft" files )

But I get all your points.

I'm wondering though if the notes I may get in coverage will spark some ideas and present solutions for elements that I would like to be stronger. I have never paid for coverage before; will I get not just a gorcery list of problems, but some possible solutions as well? Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Thanks for the move, mods

Comment

Coverage is a good idea when you've gone as far as you can on your own - do the independent rewriting, get notes from your friends and fellow writers, and when you find yourself writing in circles, that's a good time to get coverage. Don't waste the money if you still have some ideas you want to try.

Just keep in mind that a good consultant or coverage service is going to shred every element in serious detail, so you may find that you have much more to do than you thought. But they will give you suggestions, which might spark some ideas.

Good luck with it!

-- Bly
              Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov

Easy reading is damn hard writing. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

When you've worked on it and it doesn't seem to help. Get help.

Comment

I'm of two minds on this. One, I think it can be a good idea to take it as far as you can yourself using friends' notes and just pure sweat. When you've taken it as far as you can and it's just not working or you're not getting the response you want, then maybe it's time to call in a pro.

Two, sometimes writers spend months going in the wrong direction; stubbornly persisting along a certain course that was doomed from the get-go. We can get fixated on certain elements in our screenplays and loose sight of the big picture, or ignore other avenues that might work better. So for some people getting lots of different opinions, including professional ones, as early as possible can be a good idea.

Either way, only spend what you can afford. True, one highly experienced writer or consultant is worth fifty well-intentioned girlfriends or BFFs, but if you can't afford the services of the former (and let's face it, it's a luxury not a necessity) then find other ways to get opinions: online writing classes where work is shared, or screenwriting groups (can't find one? Form one online.)

Comment

Go as far with it as you can by yourself. Fix what you think needs fixing before you show it to anyone else.

I wouldn't bother with getting feedback from friends or family unless they have a specific background in writing, education or filmmaking, or are very enthusiastic about the prospect of reading. Scripts can be tricky for an amateur to gauge... IMO. That's up to you, tho.

But consult friends and fam on the general idea, as in, Is this idea interesting? Would you go see this movie?

Exchange reads with other pre-pros, maybe someone here on DD or on another site.

After you've exausted all FREE avenues, that's when I would seek out a pro consultant. But I would do this only if I felt the script had commercial potential. IOW, if I was confident it had a chance of selling. If the feedback I recieved up til then made me believe I had a dog on my hands, I wouldn't waste the money. I would just move on to another project. But that's just me.

Good luck.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I agree with both prior posts, definitely. Except I don't think getting professional feedback is a luxury. That's like saying taking acting lessons is a luxury. If you WANT to make a living in this crazily competitive industry, you need every possible advantage. Purchase professional feedback if you feel you want and need it. Get it if you can afford it. Get it when you feel great about that decision.

But definitely use other resources first. What DGL said is so true, sometimes you can spend weeks or months doing exacty the wrong thing and a pair of fresh, objective eyes can be hugely powerful. Someone who isn't your friend or mom or DD peer. Someone who does it for a living and has no vested interest in either tearing you down or building you up. I used consultants way back when I was starting out. I have maintained those relationships which became friendships to this day, believe it or not, and don't regret having spent the time and money at all.

It's really a personal decision.

Julie Gray

Comment

Food for thought:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...gi?read=124955

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...gi?read=136635

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...gi?read=136939
                        Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                        Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

But that's why a lot of writers will tell you to just move onto the next one. Because after the full draft of the next one you can go back to this one with fresh eyes.

Distance. And often you re-read and cringe and already you know what it needs.

But I think pro coverage is especially important for new writers. Other new writers can often just give them bad advice, and send them in circles. It's in the early years that you really need to find your weaknesses. To bring those aspects into consciousness, bcause otherwise they'll keep following you into other scripts.

Comment

I haven't used friends/family for years because apart from getting a general feel for how appealing the premise is, they don't provide particularly reliable feedback.
                            My approach to professional coverage is to get it when you feel your script is as good as you can get it, i.e. you think it's at a stage where you would be ready to send it out. For me, coverage/analysis is most helpful when it addresses the script you would have sent to an agent/prodco etc.
                            No doubt there are writers who benefit from having a script assessed at an earlier stage, but I'm not sure if analysts like being involved if parts of the story are still being worked out.
                            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                              Other new writers can often just give them bad advice, and send them in circles. It's in the early years that you really need to find your weaknesses. To bring those aspects into consciousness, because otherwise they'll keep following you into other scripts.
                              You got that right..

Not all writers can afford to pay for coverage for early drafts and for the most part its difficult to obtain any objectivity after writing 100-120 script because you're just too close to it.

A small circle of friends who may also be writers themselves is a beneficial thing and the author can glean useful feedback particularly if those other writers have a handle on the craft themselves. One of the reasons some of the other forums out there who provide notes and coverage on line, is the vast majority of those members don't understand structure or have any detailed experience of the craft. A lot of these problems stem from simply not reading enough be it a certain amount of screenwriting books and screenplays themselves. But there are some fellow writers out there who do have this experience and if you are lucky to hook up with these guys then these are the very people one you would like to read your work and provide you with unbiased notes.

I know of four or five writers who visit here who I would have no hesitation of asking if they would read my work and I know from my understanding of their knowledge I would be provided with very good notes. I would do the same for those people too.

Personally, I would only pay for coverage at that point I'm about to send my work out before that a small group of self-supporting readers is a good way to go. We visit this forum and make contacts and it is up to us to forge relationships which benefit each other on here and finding readers is one of those benefits.

I exchange screenplays whether in production or older with other writers on this forum all with the view I read them. I feel it essential and part of my existence as a writer to read so I indulge in a little social intercourse to do it. Same with reads. I will read anybody's screenplay on here if they'd like me to and I'm sure there are a handful of individuals on this forum who would be kind enough to act as a reader for me too.

Pro readers in the industry are generally screenwriters themselves so I don't see the difference. People with those skills spot stuff whether something is missing, overdone or whatever so both are valid.

Personally, and I speak for myself here, this is one of the reasons I come to this forum for the reads and hopefully should I need it somebody will offer to read one of my sceenplays in return. In fact I have done this for quite a lot of writers and I'd like to think providing, upon average, 10 pages of notes, was detailed enough for the writer to glean if they are on the right track or not at that particular stage of their work and the particular draft.

There's some very intelligent writers who visit this forum and I for one appreciate their help. If I can get any of them to read my work during the early drafts stages before I hit the ultimate draft so these people may offer help, guidance and alternatives; which I may not see for myself because I may be too close to the work, then this is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Pro Readers and those who provide Pro Coverage but before you get to that stage I do feel the group of like-minded individuals that can read your work in the earlier stages is of great benefit and those opportunities derive from interacting with others on this forum.

So yes, find people on here who will offer to read your work and repay their kindness by offering to read their work in return. Its called a Support Group.. Then later, when you and your group of reader friends consider your script ready to be evaluated by a Pro Reader then go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X