Re: (v.o)

Originally posted by Moviefreak444 View Post
    The V.O, do they mean Voice with it?
    What???
    I'm like an opening band for the sun.
    -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

If Jeff and Kale are in the scene but off camera use (O.C.) intead of (V.O.)

Something like:

EXT. Building/Open Window

Inside, the man in black stops packing his suitcase and looks out the window.

KALE (O.C.)
      (tense)
      Do you think he sees us?

JEFF (O.C.)
      No, he can't see us. But he feels
      us watching.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Hi, my question is about this example:

KALE (V.O.)
        (tense)
        Do you think he sees us?
        JEFF (V.O.)
        us watching.

That scenario would be okay if say there is a third character listening to those two (Kale and Jeff) talking on two-way radios, their conversations would be considered VO (voice over)
        "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Something like:

KALE (O.C.)
          (tense)
          Do you think he sees us?

JEFF (O.C.)
          us watching.
          Uh oh, we're going to have to start a debate about whether to use O.S. or O.C. or V.O.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
          - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

The (V.O.) is a dialogue modifier that is placed after the character's name. It tells us the following dialogue is presented on the film's audio track, but is not spoken by the character on screen. Voice Over can be a voice on a telephone, the sound of the character's thoughts, or the voice of a visible or invisible ghost in the scene.

If it's the voice of a visible ghost, then technically it is spoken by the character on screen.

So Kale and Jeff may be spirits in the scene. They could be visible to the audience, but invisible to the other actor or actor's in the scene.

KALE (V.O.)
            (tense)
            Do you think he sees us?
            JEFF (V.O.)
            us watching.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Something like:

KALE (O.C.)
              (tense)
              Do you think he sees us?

JEFF (O.C.)
              us watching.

I don't think you would write it that way, then you would be directing the camera.

If 'we' are watching someone(love the people that still use, 'we see' action prose) just tell us about what 'we' are watching.
              But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

KALE (V.O.)
                (tense)
                Do you think he sees us?
                JEFF (V.O.)
                us watching.

This might be moved to basics...

V.O. stands for Voice Over. It implies that the character speaking is not on camera, and not obtainable by the Camera.

Voice overs usually demonstrate the narrative of a montage with dialogue.
                But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Ok thanks, sorry that I posted it in the wrong section

Comment

If a character's voice is coming over a mechanical device, such as a speakerphone, computer, or a tape recorder, use V.O.

Also, use V.O. for anything that qualifies as Voice Over narration.

If a character is physically in the scene, but off-camera, use O.S.

A quick rule of thumb is that if the actor would actually be on location available for shooting the scene, but he does not appear on camera for the speech, it's probably O.S.

Comment

Originally posted by altoption View Post
                      If a character's voice is coming over a mechanical device, such as a speakerphone, computer, or a tape recorder, use V.O.

Also, use V.O. for anything that qualifies as Voice Over narration.

If a character is physically in the scene, but off-camera, use O.S.

A quick rule of thumb is that if the actor would actually be on location available for shooting the scene, but he does not appear on camera for the speech, it's probably O.S.
                      Funny-- you made me go back to my script and check out which I had used. In one of my earliest scenes, I have a husband and wife argue while he is in the bathroom and she's outside it banging on the door. The action switches from inside to outside many times while they're talking, so no matter where you are, one of the characters in the scene can be heard but not seen. I used (O.S.) in that case.

At the end of the story, one of the characters talks while the story continues, and he is NOT in any of the scenes except the one in which he begins talking, so I used (V.O).

Another time, during a flashback that was only a short time earlier, I have the character in the flashback as current action so you hear him talking as he is there, then switch forward to 'now' (continue the story to his friend as live action) then return to the flashback and tell the rest of the story NOW as it's being SHOWN-- so you DO see him in the action, but he is telling what happened from the near future -- you hear his (V.O) as he explains what happens. In this case, no dialogue in the flashback is heard except his (V.O.).

There's also a scene where you only see the married couples LEGS as they are in the bathroom and getting ready for work. I didn't use (O.S.) because you CAN see them, you just don't see their faces as they talk.

So when would (O.C.) be used? I found this explanation:

O.S. - V.O. - O.C. ... These terms sometimes confuse the writer. O.S stands for off-screen or out-of shot and is used in FEATURE FILM writing when the speaking character is talking but from another room or area of the set that's not seen in the current shot. V.O. stands for voice-over. Characters in the scene usually can't hear the dialog because it's said mainly for the audience's benefit. It's often used when someone is reflecting (to us) about the past, or when a character is reading a letter (we may hear whoever wrote the letter reading it to us aloud). O.C. stands for off-camera and is used in the same circumstance as O.S. except only for television.

It is very important to get this right, otherwise you risk completely confusing the reader (especially a professional) and that will take him/her right out of your story as they'll have to stop and try and figure out what you mean.
                      Last edited by suzeaa; 12-10-2007, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post

[left]O.S. - V.O. - O.C. ... These terms sometimes confuse the writer. O.S stands for off-screen or out-of shot and is used in FEATURE FILM writing when the speaking character is talking but from another room or area of the set that's not seen in the current shot. V.O. stands for voice-over. Characters in the scene usually can't hear the dialog because it's said mainly for the audience's benefit. It's often used when someone is reflecting (to us) about the past, or when a character is reading a letter (we may hear whoever wrote the letter reading it to us aloud). O.C. stands for off-camera and is used in the same circumstance as O.S. except only for television.
                        I agree. O.C. comes from video/television. O.S. means Off Screen, or Off Stage (from theater).

Comment

Working...
                        X