Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Girls

I didn't think this episode felt disjointed. The character interactions were all great. The directing was also very strong.

And I didn't mind "how to make it in america." It wasn't the greatest show, but it was very watchable.

Comment

See nothing funny about it. Nothing redeeming. Nothing interesting. The writing is boring, the acting over-the-top. I have a far-reaching interest in various "low-brow" and "high-brow" fodder, yet this one escapes me. No idea why it has an audience.

Comment

I finally removed the show from my DVR. For me, season 1 had promise because everyone was feeling each other out. Few people were connecting but at least they were making an attempt.

In season 2, everybody is in their own little bubble and talking at cross purposes. It's like watching a roomful of autistics all babbling separately about their problems and only by accident does it sound on occasion like a conversation.

Too bad. I was a fan.

Comment

I still really enjoy watching this, it's one of the highlights of my week, it's just like a quirky soap opera, it always makes me laugh.

I was checking out the actors on IMDB last night, I was really shocked by how much hate there is directed at the girls for being either too attractive, not attractive enough or too in the middle.

This comment pretty much caused my frontal lobe to wheeze to a halt and give in.

Lena Dunham is gross and worthless and makes a crappy show that tricks fat ugly girls into thinking it's okay to be that way
          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Agree. The comments are gross. If you don't like the show, okay, but to physically attack the cast is lame and boring. I loved Season One and now I love Season Two, for completely different reasons. I like that she is doing her own thing. One week it's a drama, the next it's fun. I'm just glad to see someone who isn't forcing her show to be funny or serious ALL THE TIME. Life isn't like that and at least she's trying to do something different. I'm jealous of Lena Dunham but still thinks she's great.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
              I still really enjoy watching this, it's one of the highlights of my week, it's just like a quirky soap opera, it always makes me laugh.

I was checking out the actors on IMDB last night, I was really shocked by how much hate there is directed at the girls for being either too attractive, not attractive enough or too in the middle.

This comment pretty much caused my frontal lobe to wheeze to a halt and give in.
              I'm like you - I'm still really enjoying the quirky soap opera. And it does make me laugh.

My (hot) friend is so disturbed by how imperfect Lena's body is and all the nakedness. I'm like - Bring it on. That's what it really looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                I'm like you - I'm still really enjoying the quirky soap opera. And it does make me laugh.

My (hot) friend is so disturbed by how imperfect Lena's body is and all the nakedness. I'm like - Bring it on. That's what it really looks like.
                Say what you will about the writing.... The utterly frank, unabashed manner in which Lean Dunham puts her body out there to express all the internalized insecurities that cannot be adequately voiced through dialogue -- is beyond courageous.

The jarring flip-side (owning to that fact of Lena being so literally naked in body and soul) is Allison Williams whose "love scenes" clothed top-to-bottom in Talbot's intimate wear have all the sensuality of a "Nancy Drew Mystery." But that harks back to Sarah Jessica Parker who, while typing the "Story Of 'O'" interludes, was the true prude vs. the other SATC cast when it came to get down.

Comment

I read this article in the Guardian: Breaking Bad is great TV, but with no real women, it can never be 'my' show

And that got me wondering about "Girls". I only saw the initial two episodes, though I certainly see its recurring media-wake.

To those of you who watch the show: Are the male characters real?

(If anyone thinks the answer is, "No. But that's not what the show's about" - then, fine with me. I just would like to get a read on this "real" topic as to this show.)

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                    To those of you who watch the show: Are the male characters real?
                    Adam and Alex feel real but immature. The others tend to feel a bit distant.
                    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

• Re: Girls - Finding Girls scirpt?

I was wondering if you knew where I could find a Girls script. I've been looking EVERYWHERE and can't find it. If any of you guys know that would be great!

Thanks

Tori

Comment

I watched season 1....good and different for me...having spent a great deal of time in NYC the obvious lack of diversity I'd heard about was pretty glaring...as a 50 yo black man, the Girls' problems didn't really connect...no doubt to me not being in their target audience (Capt. Obvious)....I was pretty much season 1 & done.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                          White people should be allowed to show the world the way they want to for as long as they want to do it. Who cares if there's diversity on the screen? No one is obliged to show diversity. Who cares if minorities are under-represented? Frankly I'm tired of people who are not getting roles or jobs complaining about race. That the Bachelor or Girls or Friends have 100% white leads shouldn't matter. Only good story telling matters.

Same for writing rooms. Whites make-up 95% of writing staffs. Does that make them racist? No. Minorities should do a better job making opportunities for themselves instead of complaining.

Do you see white people complaining when Tyler Perry makes an all black tv show for TBS? No. Though it helps that whites dominate the 100s of other tv shows on the air as opposed to vice versa, the point is, stop complaining. Be like Tyler Perry: start writing plays and put them on yourself. Build up a massive following over many years. Parlay that following into movie success by finding your own financing. Parlay that track record into getting a tv show. I bet that's what the creator if Girls did.

Let your voice be the magical flute that spreads your vision to masses. And let your voice be color blind. And don't let stats like 95% or 100% be an excuse to find racism because, frankly, it's tiring.
                          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4899679.html

Comment

Originally posted by guiltypleasures View Post
                            See nothing funny about it. Nothing redeeming. Nothing interesting. The writing is boring, the acting over-the-top. I have a far-reaching interest in various "low-brow" and "high-brow" fodder, yet this one escapes me. No idea why it has an audience.

It is like watching a really bad reality show woven together from trends and a few people's vaguely amusing experiences, add in some non-stop kvetching and voila a worthy successor to How To Make it in America (moved to Brooklyn with hipper less ambitious characters) I think I like Spike's vision of Brooklyn over Lena's sanitized hipster theme park portrayal.

Comment

If they could just turn this into an Adam spin off I'd probably feel less conflicted. Pretty much every other character is starting to really annoy me except for maybe Ray and Shoshanna. I'm suspecting Jessa might OD but that might be wishful thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X