Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
huntaaar
New User

Default Re: A good time for new US reps?

Thanks, everyone for the comments and advice.

Perhaps I was a little modest in that I have done a handful of UK and US deals before, and am lucky enough to be working with some established producers/directors etc already.

What I was really asking was about the mood about town, the appetite in this specific climate etc.

Also

A (short version) note on competitions since there seems to be some debate. I have a script that has won me my last three film commissions. I entered it into some competitions and schemes out of curiosity. It didn't place anywhere. Didn't make the first cut on the BBC Drama thing, nothing. Ever. While at the same time, I've had decorated producers loving it and looking to work with me... Bottom line, I don't think competitions are worth much at all and will never bother with them again.

This is just a personal subjective experience. but I wouldn't lose any sleep over never getting into or placing in a comp, or put too much effort into it either.
huntaaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
JS90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntaaar View Post

Perhaps I was a little modest in that I have done a handful of UK and US deals before, and am lucky enough to be working with some established producers/directors etc already.

What I was really asking was about the mood about town, the appetite in this specific climate etc.

Also

A (short version) note on competitions since there seems to be some debate. I have a script that has won me my last three film commissions. I entered it into some competitions and schemes out of curiosity. It didn't place anywhere. Didn't make the first cut on the BBC Drama thing, nothing. Ever. While at the same time, I've had decorated producers loving it and looking to work with me... Bottom line, I don't think competitions are worth much at all and will never bother with them again.

This is just a personal subjective experience. but I wouldn't lose any sleep over never getting into or placing in a comp, or put too much effort into it either.
What's your rep situation in the UK? If you're unrepped (or willing to make a move) some UK talent agencies do have decent relationships across the pond. My current day job has me in development and while we normally deal with the usual suspects here in the states, we also sometimes receive (and read) material from places like Curtis Brown or Independent Talent. So if possible your best bet may be to find a rep who has relations in both the UK and the states.

Otherwise, I'd just to see if any of your close professional contacts in the UK can make introductions here. As a rule, referrals always tend to go to the top of the pile.
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Bono

Quote:
Hi,

I'm planning to approach US representation soon, but with the World in such a mad place right now, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the general mood over there and the appetite for new clients? I'll hopefully be getting referred through existing clients, so not cold calling as such!

I know there are WGA complications too (I'm not currently WGA) which as a UK based writer, I'm not fully across in honesty.

Anyway, just thinking aloud and trying to plan, any thoughts, input welcome.
It's never a good time to find a new rep. And it's never a bad time. It's always the same. That's how I see it.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
Anagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbank View Post
As for "the general mood over there and the appetite for new clients" - it's bad. CAA just let go of 275 people, 90 of whom are agents. Everyone is worried about the state of the business and their own jobs. If production can't start up again properly and theaters remain closed, at some point they will stop buying scripts and hiring writers due to a backlog of things they already can't make. This has already started to some extent. So trying to be a new client (without a track record) is undoubtedly harder than ever. That said, no one ignores a spectacular logline.
Thanks for sharing Northbank, I wasnít aware of the firings. Thatís unfortunate, especially as it may be echoed across other agencies/management companies.
Anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:47 AM   #15
huntaaar
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS90 View Post
What's your rep situation in the UK? If you're unrepped (or willing to make a move) some UK talent agencies do have decent relationships across the pond. My current day job has me in development and while we normally deal with the usual suspects here in the states, we also sometimes receive (and read) material from places like Curtis Brown or Independent Talent. So if possible your best bet may be to find a rep who has relations in both the UK and the states.

Otherwise, I'd just to see if any of your close professional contacts in the UK can make introductions here. As a rule, referrals always tend to go to the top of the pile.
Thanks for the thoughts, make sense. I'm with one of the agencies you mention in the UK and add a Lawyer to the team for US stuff.

My UK agent is great, it's more about opening some new doors and building the team. To my understanding it's not uncommon to have both UK and US agents. I also fancy the idea of moving to LA for a year or so (once armageddon have finished of course) so I'm just planning best I can.

Thanks again for the input.
huntaaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:48 AM   #16
Vango
User

Quote:

Also

I agree, the only competition I entered was one that was a diversity award, the nicholl in 2019, and the nicholl in 2020. I did a lot of research on all the others and there is nothing appealing to me about them. Nicholl of course because it's Nicholl. Everyone who wins that is onto big things, imo.

But I agree with the above sentiment shared by the poster.

One of the producers who's optioned one of my scripts is in the UK. I reached out to him personally actually because of the international nature of the story. He had worked in Hollywood for a while prior. So I do think that the UK is a solid place to be actually, there are people with great connections there. It's not as good as LA.

You don't have to be in LA if you want to write films. If you want to write TV you really have to be.

Yes, come on over to LA for awhile, see how you like it.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote