No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

Originally posted by tin2tin View Post
    Are there any shortcut keys for go to next/prev scene heading?
    Hmm. No, but there probably should be. Let me take a look at that.

Comment

Hello. Is there a workaround to create macros for any words or strings of words? The 'dream' is to be able to assign a character's name to a "fn" key combo. There are times when a name is lengthy and to avoid typos, I thought I'd ask for a macro function.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-08-2015, 02:28 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Thank you for looking into short cut keys for go to next/prev scene heading.

I'm trying to print index cards to put them up on the wall, however the 3x5 cards are too big (paper waste) and the half size is too small. The fonts are unreadable unless you less than 30 cm from the cards and then it sort of beats the idea of printing index cards and throwing them on the wall. One should be able to read them from a distance.

So is there a way to print in a (card) size between the two (3X5 & 1/2) and make the font larger?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
          Hello. Is there a workaround to create macros for any words or strings of words? The 'dream' is to be able to assign a character's name to a "fn" key combo. There are times when a name is lengthy and to avoid typos, I thought I'd ask for a macro function.
          Perhaps you already know this, but there is software available that enables you to do this globally, i.e., not just in one application. I use TextExpander on the Mac, and highly recommend it, and there are many similar applications for both Mac and Windows.

They're useful for both expanding long words and autocorrecting frequently mistyped words.

I'd go so far as to say all writers should use some such application - it is a huge efficiency boost. I frankly don't know how I'd live without it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
            Perhaps you already know this, but there is software available that enables you to do this globally, i.e., not just in one application. I use TextExpander on the Mac, and highly recommend it, and there are many similar applications for both Mac and Windows.

They're useful for both expanding long words and autocorrecting frequently mistyped words.

I'd go so far as to say all writers should use some such application - it is a huge efficiency boost. I frankly don't know how I'd live without it at this point.
            Thanks so much! I'm relatively new to using a Mac and I did not know this. What I do not know would fill volumes of books. Thanks again for the assistance!
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I'm coming into this a bit late, but what is the best way to import Screenplays originally written in Word. I get that there will be a lot of formatting clean-up. Just trying to minimize it though.
              Thanks.
              SL35
              Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                I'm coming into this a bit late, but what is the best way to import Screenplays originally written in Word. I get that there will be a lot of formatting clean-up. Just trying to minimize it though.
                Thanks.
                I suggest saving the Word doc as rtf - in my experience, FIP does a pretty good job importing rtf.

Comment

Is there a way to re-order names in the character sheet to your liking - and the order in which they'll show up in the suggestions in character elements?

e.g., if I have a character named "Beach Beauty" who shows up in one line, and another character named "Betty" who is a principal. But "beach Beauty" shows up first in the script, and her name is first alphabetically (not sure which one matters, here) so that every time I start a dialog element and hit "B" there's an extra keystroke in order to get "Betty" (unless I'm mid-scene and have the predictive typing thing going gone).

It'd be nice if I could drag the names in the character window around to prioritize the order.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                    e.g., if I have a character named "Beach Beauty" who shows up in one line, and another character named "Betty" who is a principal. But "beach Beauty" shows up first in the script, and her name is first alphabetically (not sure which one matters, here) so that every time I start a dialog element and hit "B" there's an extra keystroke in order to get "Betty" (unless I'm mid-scene and have the predictive typing thing going gone).
                    Change her name to "Striking Beach Beauty"?

Comment

Is there a way to re-order names in the character sheet to your liking - and the order in which they'll show up in the suggestions in character elements?
                      That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into what might be possible along those lines.

In the meantime, for your particular case, you could just manually go into the Character tab and delete that character name. It shouldn't affect anything else. It will, however, reappear if you ever hit Rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
                        I suggest saving the Word doc as rtf - in my experience, FIP does a pretty good job importing rtf.
                        This was what I tried. The tabs are gone, which is fine, but it added a space and a half gap between Sluglines and action lines, as well as "(continued)" at the bottom of every page.
                        Not a big deal, I'm treating it as a rewrite, just would like to have imported all my old scripts.
                        SL35
                        Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fade In Pro View Post
                          That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into what might be possible along those lines.

In the meantime, for your particular case, you could just manually go into the Character tab and delete that character name. It shouldn't affect anything else. It will, however, reappear if you ever hit Rebuild.
                          Thanks. That's a useful workaround!

Comment

A really minor thing that feels like a bug:

OSX.

When I print, and then save-to-pdf, the default name of the file is "Print" both in the top save-as field and in the metadata field lower down.

Shouldn't those both default to the name of the .fadein document? That's the standard behavior in other apps.

Also incredibly minor, but FI is one of the slowest apps around when it comes to actually printing. The little status bar as pages are pushed to the print queue moves at about 1/10th of the speed I normally see.

Comment

When I print, and then save-to-pdf, the default name of the file is "Print" both in the top save-as field and in the metadata field lower down.
                              Let me look into that.

Also incredibly minor, but FI is one of the slowest apps around when it comes to actually printing. The little status bar as pages are pushed to the print queue moves at about 1/10th of the speed I normally see.
                              Hmm. That does sound pretty slow. Does that happen when printing to a hardware printer, or even for Save as PDF from the OS X Print dialog? How long are we talking to print 100 pages or so?

Comment

Originally posted by Fade In Pro View Post
                                Hmm. That does sound pretty slow. Does that happen when printing to a hardware printer, or even for Save as PDF from the OS X Print dialog? How long are we talking to print 100 pages or so?
                                I just tested it printing an almost-identical file (some edits and the font was changed in the FI file), doing "print" then clicking the PDF drop down, save as PDF.

I hit enter, and in FI, the "processing" status bar took 38 seconds for a 112 page script.

It takes about 2 seconds in MMS. The status bar goes so quickly it's hard to time it.

These are on an older iMac, but I've seen something similar on my 2014 Macbook Pro.

Edit:

I just looked at the test files I created while running the test, and it's probably related to the PDF size. MMS is producing a PDF thats 252 KB in size. Fade In is producing a 1.2 MB file. I am using Courier Prime with FI ... could that be related?
                                Last edited by Ronaldinho; 04-21-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X