What's a reasonable amount of time to create a quality screenplay?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a reasonable amount of time to create a quality screenplay?

That's like asking "how many hours a day do I have to train to be a professional basketball player?" The major hurdle isn't hours invested.

As for Sorkin, et al, the question is "when's my deadline?" That's how long it takes to write a script.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      Sorkin has noted on several occasions he is in a constant state of writer's block.

But, this also goes a bit hand-in-hand with the "famous" Bruce Dickinson quote. Yes, the Bruce Dickinson. "I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

That's a good quote.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        That's like asking "how many hours a day do I have to train to be a professional basketball player?" The major hurdle isn't hours invested.

As for Sorkin, et al, the question is "when's my deadline?" That's how long it takes to write a script.

True. Thanks Jeff.

Comment

Depends on the subject and how familiar you are with it.

It took me about 4 years to write Goodbye, Iraq because of the depth of research.

A lot of assignment stuff is based of existing IP, so there's less work involved there. Originals are quite difficult to perfect.

Comment

If your Done Deal handle is "spacefarer," apparently it takes ten years.

Comment

Too soon.

Comment

It takes a lifetime.
                I am sorry.

Comment

This is not quite what you are asking about but I know a writer who was secretly doing writing for a big writer/producer. The latter would farm things out since they had so many/too projects going at once. The writer I knew took on an assignment and at the end of the day just changed his mind over the weekend before it was due. This, from what, I was told didn't go over well to say the least -- at all. The big writer ultimately survived, since they already had a career established and some success, but I bet it tarnished their (big writer's) name some for a while. The writer I knew never got any more work of that level ever again, of course.
                  Off topic: Trying to wrap my head around this -- So, did the studio or producer know that by hiring the Big Name Writer know that he was just farming out the script to some other writer to write? While the Big Name Writer was being paid for it? The Big Name Writer is taking the writing credits for it, too? I'm not understanding.

Back on topic: I think Scott Frank takes a year.

A few of my favorite scripts (of my own) started out with completely different plots, that I felt didn't work. So I ripped the plots out and started over with the same characters. That adds another good 3 months of writing and I don't' recommend it. Haha. But the best part of writing, imo, is the ability to fix things, so that something mediocre turns into something with impact. For specs I think you have to ask -- is this extra writing time changing the script into something that could sell, or am I just adding commas here and there? Write it until it feels complete, and then move on.

Comment

I recall having two readers critique my script.
                    I reached the final version faster.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

Off topic: Trying to wrap my head around this -- So, did the studio or producer know that by hiring the Big Name Writer know that he was just farming out the script to some other writer to write? While the Big Name Writer was being paid for it? The Big Name Writer is taking the writing credits for it, too? I'm not understanding.
                      No. The studios did not know apparently. The big name writer took on too many projects it sounds like, so he'd farm out some work to other writers who had ability but weren't well-known. He could then get the pages from them. I *assume* do a quick once over if need be, then send to the studio. Now, I wasn't there so I didn't see/hear conversations first hand, but I'm not shocked or suprised by this, sadly. It's a bit like hiring someone to write your thesis paper for you. I'm sure others have done this too.

And yes, the big name writer had their name on the movie. No one else.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Missed this thread earlier. How long? I'd have to ask: with or without a day job?

The last script I wrote from scratch with a manager, it was around three months. In addition to a day job and family responsibilities.

Then again, the manager was hyped to get it out so I was in ASAP mode. A lot of late nights and weekends. I do agree that a deadline is usually the motivator. Work productiveness contracts or expands depending on the deadline date.

I know some writers who freeze when up against a deadline. "OMG I just wasted a week!" I'm the opposite. A deadline inspires me to get in gear and stay in gear for some reason.

Now, working without a deadline I drift. I've self-imposed deadlines but since no one else is in on it, I still drift.

Will: I have the same questions as figment about the big name writer who farms out projects.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I can't speak to what DD is talking about but there are a look of book authors who do this. Famous ones. And of course even after they're dead -- the estate -- just keeps on writing them too I think. But I'm thinking of James Patterson as example.

Comment

No. The studios did not know apparently. The big name writer took on too many projects it sounds like, so he'd farm out some work to other writers who had ability but weren't well-known. He could then get the pages from them. I *assume* do a quick once over if need be, then send to the studio. Now, I wasn't there so I didn't see/hear conversations first hand, but I'm not shocked or suprised by this, sadly. It's a bit like hiring someone to write your thesis paper for you. I'm sure others have done this too.

And this writer STILL GETS WORK!!!!! Oh, man. I think I know who this is, actually. But I won't say on here because I could be wrong.

Bono -- the difference is that James Patterson puts the other author's name on the cover as having co-written the books. And I'm sure shares the royalties, as well. This screenwriter didn't/doesn't.

Comment

I missed this too. Wow. I once farmed out work for a freelance gig but I told the client I had to do it since they loaded me up with same-day print deadlines for three Tupperware catalogs. I was paying the other writer out of my fee. The writer I used had a lot of catalog experience but she'd been a stay-at-home mom for several years and a bit rusty. She had been one of my students in a non-matric Creative Writing course I taught for a while at the local CC. I knew she could write really well. But her speed was a little on the slow side and I was getting nervous since I promised the client I would review all her pages before sending them in. We made the deadline but I was anxious the entire time as she slowly turned in pages to me.

I can't imagine doing that with a script assignment. Weird.
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

In 2004, I met this lady who had just moved to Austin from LA. An ex-CAA. She told me (and I quote her), There are writers in LA who spent 10 years writing their first draft and will spend another 10 years perfecting it.

Comment

Working...
                                X