No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Daps to Diablo

Originally posted by AnotherWriter View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that Diablo broke into Hollywood because people thought she was good. And that's what it really takes to make it in Hollywood: when you've got heat -- when people think you're good.

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
    And let me say that stripper or no stripper, we all know how hard writing is, and she got it done. That's something I always respect.

Agreed.

Comment

Very few screenwriters get the celebrity treatment, & even fewer female screenwriters. It's nice to see a chick scribe get some attention.

But I have to admit, the stripper thing annoys me.

The first female scribe to get any kind of media attention since Callie Khouri, and she's getting the attention b/c she's a former stripper.

It just irks.

But her success and the attention she's getting helps all of us writers, so good luck to her.

~Laura (A former pro Massage Therapist who won't exploit that fact when her time comes. )

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Why do you guys hate strippers so much?
        Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
        Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
          V

(A former pro Massage Therapist who won't exploit that fact when her time comes. )
          why the hell not?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony R View Post
            Why do you guys hate strippers so much?
            Hey I said she was pretty.

Comment

Is it envy I smell in this thread?

I don't care what she's done in the past as long as it wasn't something illegal. Can she write? We'll see when we watch the film won't we? If the script is only so so, but the film is great, that in itself will be amazing.

And I don't think a writer has to be a homely, bipolar heavy drinker to be a good writer either.

I'm happy for her until I read something about her that really offends me. Close contact with a stripper's pole does not.

Comment

I have no problem with her past. I have a problem with it being exploited by the media (and her to a certain extent) to make her famous.

And I'm not envious. Believe me. There's about 100 other writers I'd rather spend my envy on.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                  And I'm not envious. Believe me. There's about 100 other writers I'd rather spend my envy on.

Ele...
                  Am I the only one who's irritated we're basically required to include this disclaimer now in posts concerning famous people in the profession that we don't admire / care for?

Why is a critique / criticism always interpretted as a veil for envy or jealousy?

Comment

My only apprehension towards her comes from the fact that this is her first screenplay (which I always have a hard time believing) and that there was a Korean film in 2005 called "Jeni,Juno" that dealt with a very similiar story, i.e. young girl gets pregnant and has to come out to her parents and those around her.

Now, I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if the similiarities end there.

Anyone here seen it?

Plus, as others have said, she's mostly getting attention due to her personal background, not just her writing abilities. I think she would still get acclaim for her script if she was just a writer, but as of right now, most of it is coming from her 'wild' background. And who knows how much of that, if any, is true.

I definitely sense a little envy, too, but I'm also not entirely sold on this stripper/Cinderalla story just yet. Let's see what else she does.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                      Am I the only one who's irritated we're basically required to include this disclaimer now in posts concerning famous people in the profession that we don't admire / care for?

Why is a critique / criticism always interpretted as a veil for envy or jealousy?
                      It annoys me greatly. I almost have to put a "Not Envious" disclaimer on stuff like this. It's funny that writers are accused of envy when criticizing other writers. If anything, we're probably the most pragmatic when it comes to criticizing writers...after all, we should understand them and their profession better than anybody. But it just doesn't happen that way.

I don't know of anybody out there who loves every writer who has ever made it just because.

Ele...

Comment

If anyone here was totally amazing at playing Yankee Doodle Dandy on the kazoo with air provided from their rear end and someone comes up to you and says, I can make you a screenwriting star. We just have to milk this other talent of yours as well.

Would your answer be:

Hell no!! I'm holding out until I'm recognized for my writing talent only!

or

Hell yes!! Pass me some beans!

Just a thought.

Comment

check out her blog:

http://diablocody.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by bed-and-bones View Post
                            check out her blog:

http://diablocody.blogspot.com
                            Oh so witty. I just can't take it.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post

Agreed.

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                              Oh so witty. I just can't take it.

Ele...

I think she's funny (or can be funny).

Comment

I think it's because we, as writers, automatically try to look for subtext.

And I think that a lot of writers misconceive genuine criticism to contain the subtext of "Why is he/she working in Hollywood? I can write just as well -- if not better." -- particularly when the tone in which some of the criticism is delivered is condescending, and words like "hacks", "garbage", and "piece-of-sh!t" is used.

Obviously we don't consider ourselves as hacks; so to call professionals hacks can often be misconstrued by other writers as the implication that we're better than these pros.

It comes down to that argument: That, if you are genuinely a good writer, would you already be working in Hollywood? Or are there other, much greater factors involved? And there’s always two sides to this argument:

If you’re inclined to believe that all it takes is a great script to get work in Hollywood, then that would imply that the pros whom can repeatedly get work must be writing good scripts one-after-another. Thus, calling them hacks would mean that you’re an even worse hack than they are since you’re struggling to even get a studio gig.

However, if you’re inclined to believe that timing, luck, and connections is what it really takes to get work in Hollywood, then that would imply that a lot of the pros are, undeservedly, getting the cool gigs. And that the lack one’s own success is down to poor timing, bad luck, and the inability to market oneself.
                                -- Another Writer

Comment

Working...
                                X