No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paramount ditches Blu-Ray

Originally posted by mrWr0ng View Post
    I would put money on this. Seriously, look at youtube - people don't care if it's compressed, they just want a *good enough* quality with super convenience. People that are audio or video philes will pay extra for super quality, but the self-sustaining part of the industry, the revolution, will be to on-demand video and instant access to everything in your "library"

I don't get the sacrifice of quality talk here

you just need 40mbps over optics, which is no biggie

optics are operating with 100mbps at the moment and they are already upgrading it to 1Gb here
    If you'll want your full uncompressed HD, you'll get it

however, comparing it youtube is out of the question
    you can watch full HD in h264 on under 20mbps line and that's something even vdsl2 on copper should be able to do it

on the other hand, wifi draft N is out, so...

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
      Well, I guess then I won't be in on this so-called "revolution" that you are referring to. To sacrifice quality for convenience (I mean, my god, are we that lazy?) is not what I consider to be a positive choice.
      Don't look at it as sacrificing quality, look at it as what's an "acceptable" level of quality to most people. It's like graphics with video games... there will be people who pay extra for top-of-the-line, but far more people who will take "great" graphics for an acceptable price, rather than "the best" for much more money.

For most people, DVD is quality enough. Generally, I agree. I've never looked at a DVD and thought "MAN I wish this looked prettier!" Now you could put a DVD up against an HD image and I would tell you that the HD image is prettier... but is the lack of image quality in DVD hurting my viewing experience? I don't think so.I have the 5th Element on DVD, which is a movie used to show off HD and the additional image quality it possesses. But my viewing of the DVD is just fine... I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the experience.

it's not that HD isn't "better," it's just what the upgrade is worth. There are, for example, "better" compression schemes than .mp3 for most people, yet .mp3 has perservered, because it is acceptable to almost everybody. The same will prpetty much go for DVD. To be honest, I don't know anyone with an HD setup. I live in San Francisco and I know they're out there, but I don't know anyone who's invested in it. Although I do know 2 other filmmakers with HD monitors to go with their cameras

So I'm not arguing HD isn't better, just that the market isn't going to see it as worth upgrading to. It's asking too much for too little.

Comment

Originally posted by Khabs View Post
        eee, you'll get over it
        I did

it took me few hundred vhs tapes and same with dvds
        but i did

...No, but thanks anyway.

Comment

The only real advantage HD-DVD holds over Blu-Ray is that, as was stated, the former encodes with MPEG-4. It's beyond ridiculous that Blu-Ray- supporting studios aren't doing that with their films.

It's interesting to note that Paramount actually had to DROP some of the planned interactive features off of the BLADES OF GLORY HD-DVD because it doesn't have as much storage capacity as the planned Blu-Ray release.

Also interesting: I watched the standard DVD of the pic and there was a trailer for TRANSFORMERS...and it touted it as coming out on both formats.

Really shows how out-of-left-field the decision was to take the money and run with HD-DVD....

Comment

Originally posted by mrWr0ng View Post
            Don't look at it as sacrificing quality, look at it as what's an "acceptable" level of quality to most people. It's like graphics with video games... there will be people who pay extra for top-of-the-line, but far more people who will take "great" graphics for an acceptable price, rather than "the best" for much more money.

For most people, DVD is quality enough. Generally, I agree. I've never looked at a DVD and thought "MAN I wish this looked prettier!" Now you could put a DVD up against an HD image and I would tell you that the HD image is prettier... but is the lack of image quality in DVD hurting my viewing experience? I don't think so.I have the 5th Element on DVD, which is a movie used to show off HD and the additional image quality it possesses. But my viewing of the DVD is just fine... I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the experience.

it's not that HD isn't "better," it's just what the upgrade is worth. There are, for example, "better" compression schemes than .mp3 for most people, yet .mp3 has perservered, because it is acceptable to almost everybody. The same will prpetty much go for DVD. To be honest, I don't know anyone with an HD setup. I live in San Francisco and I know they're out there, but I don't know anyone who's invested in it. Although I do know 2 other filmmakers with HD monitors to go with their cameras

So I'm not arguing HD isn't better, just that the market isn't going to see it as worth upgrading to. It's asking too much for too little.

Well, I don't believe you are speaking for everybody here, needless to say and just because something is "quality-enough" doesn't mean those with that mindset are losing out on having stunning video and even better audio quality, not to mention even more seamless interactivity. To me, "quality-enough" is settling and each year as prices continue to drop more and more people will discover the benefits of HD (many, many households now have an HDTV and that number is only rising).

HD is slowly but surely becoming the standard now, not DVD. I'm sure many will hold onto DVDs just as many held onto their VHS tapes when DVDs first started becoming a household name. Every technology has its season and although it is yet to be seen if Blu-ray or HD-DVD will successfully take the thrown it is certain that something will be replacing DVDs.

So, yes, to me that is sacrificing quality for convenience and I'm not really down with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
              It's interesting to note that Paramount actually had to DROP some of the planned interactive features off of the BLADES OF GLORY HD-DVD because it doesn't have as much storage capacity as the planned Blu-Ray release.
              double layer BR has 50Gb
              triple layer HDDVD has 45Gb

not sure where the big difference is
              it's only 10% difference

Comment

Sony sucks. They are greedy and force things down peoples throats at too high of a cost.

I honestly can't tell the difference between BR and HD-DVD... and considering HD-DVD is much cheaper, I'll go for that and am glad about this move. Honestly, they are both very similar and to care THAT much about a bit of storage or slightly better picture is stupid. Why? Because it's not like the difference here is night and day, it's so subtle most can't see it.

So you gotta go for the cheaper one, more customer friendly product if that's the case. For some reason Sony doesn't care about that and it's why they will most likely fail here like they did with Beta during VHS and why PS3 is doing far worse than expected as well.

I dislike the way Sony handles things and really don't want them to have control over some new standard.

Go HD-DVD!

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
                  So you gotta go for the cheaper one, more customer friendly product if that's the case. For some reason Sony doesn't care about that and it's why they will most likely fail here like they did with Beta during VHS and why PS3 is doing far worse than expected as well.
                  Along with convenience and improved quality (which as previously mentioned isn't that important to most consumers) the number one thing that will determine the victor in this format war is price. Period.

If they want consumers to embrace new technology manufacturers have to make it affordable.

All new tech is over-priced to recoup R&D, but HD DVD and BR aren't as big a leap like going from VHS to DVD. The gap is smaller this time, so not only do the equipment manufacturers have to convince consumers of the improved quality they've got to make it affordable once they convince them to upgrade so they can upgrade. That's the key, IMO.

I also agree about ODC (On Demand Content) via broadband.

The Xbox360 and PS3 were designed around this feature. MS strategy was to use the 360 as a gateway device to introduce people to the concept of the family media center. Not only does it play games, but you can watch HD quality movies and TV shows on demand (via broadband). The PS3 network is the same way... Except the PS3 is way too overpriced to justify it's purchase even as a limited console gaming system.

What is another factor here no one is talking about is HTPC - Home Theater PC.

I have one and it does with the 360 and PS3 do, except 10x better. I can play games, watch HD movies and actually do WORK on it. In addition, you can buy the HD add on for the 360 and hook it up to an HTPC and with both Windows Vista and XP you now have a HD DVD player that is almost half as much as a standalone retail one (add on is $179; Standalone can be $400-$500 right now).
                  Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Dagnabit. Every fur-brained guinea knows films were supposed to filmed at 16 fps and shown on a curved screen at 24 fps. Now I gotta git to churnin' some butter so as we can fry some in the mornin.

P.S. Michael Bay retracts... Boo!
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                      P.S. Michael Bay retracts... Boo!

Because they basically paid him to...boo!

Also, on a side note, Disney, Buena Vista, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Pixar, Touchstone, Dimension (films before October of 2005), Sony, Columbia/Tri-Star, Screen Gems, MGM, United Artists, Starz/Anchor Bay and Orion are all Blu-ray exclusive.
                      Last edited by j over; 08-26-2007, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                        Because they basically paid him to...boo!

Also, on a side note, Disney, Buena Vista, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Pixar, Touchstone, Dimension (films before October of 2005), Sony, Columbia/Tri-Star, Screen Gems, MGM, United Artists, Starz/Anchor Bay and Orion are all Blu-ray exclusive.
                        Could've just said BVI and SONY
                        while HDDVD has NBCUNI and Paramount

Comment

Upscaled DVDs provide an inexpensive alternative to Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Malcolm said he recently went to a show where a company showed him a scaled DVD movie playing side by side with an HD-DVD machine. They were holding a contest on two 1080p 50-inch TVs to see who could identify the image and the right player. Malcolm said about half of the people were guessing wrong. That’s because the DVD image was scaled up by the Realta HQV image processing chip from Silicon Optix. That chip makes a huge difference in quality, Malcolm said.

I've done similar visual tests on my old upscaling DVD player, and it's actually quite difficult to tell any differences during playback. When paused, you could see the difference, but only if you look into the details (upscaled DVD has lots of "fake" details, oversharpening noise - the HD DVD has the real details). This is only on my 720p screen, and 1080p might make some more difference, but probably not too much. Comparing un-upscaled DVD to Blu-ray/HD DVD shows a much bigger difference ... like the difference between VCD and DVD.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=83485
                          Interesting to note that in an actual test where an upscaled DVD was played next to a true HD DVD, people were hard pressed to tell which was which.

Upscaled DVDs can look amazing. I have an upscaled DVD player and would recommend it. If you've never seen an upscaled standard definition DVD, you'll be surprised just how good it can look. There's little financial reason to invest in HD players and HD DVDs when the picture quality is practically the same as most upscaled DVDS. Bearing this in mind, I'm sure it will be many years before HD DVD replaces standard DVD.
                          Last edited by film_fan; 08-27-2007, 02:35 AM.

Comment

I have a Blu-Ray player that upscales standard DVDs. They look great but not nearly as great as Blu-Ray discs.
                            Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Khabs View Post
                              double layer BR has 50Gb
                              triple layer HDDVD has 45Gb

not sure where the big difference is
                              it's only 10% difference
                              Right. THREE layers on an HD-DVD can't even equal the storage capacity of TWO layers on a Blu-Ray. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but triple-layer HD-DVDs aren't being used, so there really IS a pretty big difference.

Comment

How is there a difference when people can't see it?

You get fewer extra features that nobody watches per disc? There might be a second disc pause point as the laser moves to layer 3 as opposed to just just one on blu-ray?

I mean, the thing you guys are failing to take into notice here is, why should anyone throw down 10 grand on a setup to watch this? What are they missing now that only blu-ray or hd-dvd would provide? "Better visuals"? Because that doesn't stop anyone's enjoyment of a DVD, I've never met anyone in my life who's said "This DVD is great and all but man I wish there was more detail"? That doesn't happen.

It's like arguing about which version of laser disc is superior.

Comment

Working...
                                X