Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Daps to Diablo

I have 6 meetings with good managers and agents scheduled in January.

I'm getting out my leather skirt to wear. I may even have it hemmed higher.

Before Diablo, I had 2 meetings in my whole life.

THANKS DIABLO!!

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
      Deleted because I don't have the time to double-check everything I've written on this topic to properly respond to cynicide's characterizations of what I've written.
      Don't worry, SC111, I've got your back!

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
      Okay, so if this is the reason for the copious amounts of emotion and time you've poured into this topic, why are most of your posts talking about how her writing isn't good enough to justify her success?
      Girly Style is about three nerdy college girls looking to lose their virginity. I hope all three don't speak exactly alike. -- SC111

My hunch is I don't think she's able to break from the acerbic writing style of of this script. It's style not voice. And it's the same style she uses on the blog and in her interviews. All her charcaters sound like Diablo blogging. And when this all-girl-cast script "Girly Style" becomes available to read, I betcha all the girls will sound like Diablo, too. -- SC111

I never said she had no talent. I said very clearly that her PR angle pushed Juno to the head of the line, pushed it ahead of equally good or potentially great scripts. I stand by that. It's a logical conclusion given the realities of the film industry. -- SC111

If she can maintan a career recreating the same wise-cracking female characters who sound alike more power to her. -- SC111

I've been writing in other forms of fiction for quite a while. I know great writing when I see it. Her writing showed potential but it fell short of great, it even fell short of good in my opinion. -- SC111

Time will tell if Diablo's writing talent proves to also be a figment of Hollywood's imagination as well. Snarky of me? Oh, yes. I'm snarky and subversive in the tradition of Diablo herself. -- SC111

I never said she was mediocre. I said she had talent. I said the script wasn't "great" in my opinion. -- SC111

Juno had a lot of the problems of a first script. She's lucky the actress playing the lead brought her own sympatico to the role because on the page, Juno is not a very likeable character who you'd want to spend an hour or two with. -- SC111

I haven't seen Juno -- SC111

Why did you do so much research trying to prove she's a liar?
      Hey -- if I can expose this hoax, it may launch my own screenwriting career. Besides, it's a good excuse to avoid screenwriting and stripping for a day. Imagine the headline: A Green-With-Evny Wannabe Screenwriter Exposes Diablo Cody Memoir Hoax. -- SC111

Catty? Envious? No - I was irritated when I researched the stripper thing. -- SC111

I guess it doesn't bother some people that another writer may have launched her career by publishing a (possibly) bogus memoir. But it bothers me. -- SC111

You want to hear something? When my script went wide I was asked to start thinking about a cool personal backstory for the trades... JK Rowlings had the "single Mom writing at her kitchen table angle," a feel-good angle. Sure, maybe I can work something like that. -- SC111

Scott you say: The reality of all this seems to be the marketing. It doesn't matter if you wrote a good story, as long as we can make one up about you and you can give us something "okay" - we'll sell it. Dust off the "okay" stuff and get to work on your own personal mythology and let the press releases begin! Thank. You. So much. That's the heart of what bugs me about all this. -- SC111

Because all that stuff certainly makes it seem like you're pissed at her, not that you're pissed off at the patriarchal system that forced her to have to use this stuff to break in.
      You know, Diablo's blog and articles were famous for ripping everyone without mercy. She proudly calls hersef a "subversive female." Well in this tradition, I'm making it my recent hobby to seach for contradictions in her public relations story. And they keep coming. -- SC111

I would think this would bug all of us who aspire to sell. All of us who send out loglines only to get either ignored or told "not for us." -- SC111

This just in from the Predictable Department: Diablo & hubby moved to LA a month or two ago and now they're divorcing. Surpise. Surprise. -- SC111
      "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

"Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphy W View Post
          "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

Originally posted by Priya View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post

Comment

There's a turkey in my eyeballs.
                "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

There's a turkey in my eyeballs.

Comment

Now there's a moosey in my eyeballs!

Comment

Sorry folks, thread's closed. Moose out front should have told ya.

Comment

Now there's a moosey in my eyeballs!

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post
                          Sorry folks, thread's closed. Moose out front should have told ya.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                            I'm sure I'll be in the minority for what I'm about to say:

I haven't seen or read Juno yet. And as much as I'm sure it's an accomplished film, I've already had my fill of Cody. She is popular for such obvious reasons -- her name, her past, her look. And to make it worse, I feel she's a bit of an opportunist in the way she uses this attention. She has used all of these things to become a celebrity, and in my opinion, it's not the most dignified route for a writer gaining attention.

I'm reminded of the praise Michael Arndt received for Little Miss Sunshine last year. It was praise and praise alone. Nobody turned him into a celebrity because they couldn't. The papers couldn't talk about his climb from stripper to screenwriter. There was no dirt or image.

Something about this Cody situation seems tainted to me. Which is a shame, because I'm sure she has some talent.

Ele...
                            She definitely has talent--I got around to reading the script and I thought it was good. It's a good script for aspiring screenwriters to read for a couple of reasons. It has an almost effortless economy--lots and lots of half or one page scenes, which most beginning writers are frightened to death of because they don't understand how a movie works. A very clear voice--some people may claim that the characters all sound alike, and they'd be sort of right on that, but mostly wrong. It's one thing to write every character with the same voice, it's another thing to write characters who all come from the same world and share tonality, and that's what she's done her, though I frankly doubt it was conscious. Also, it's an extremely simple story and I think there's a lot to learn there. You can tell simple stories if you have complex characters, and they can be memorable. If you don't have complex characters then it doesn't matter how much you tart something up with plot, it'll still come across flat.

That being said, I really f*cking hate gratuitous pop culture references and they are all over this script. Some of the lines are forced, but not too many and it is a little bit snarky, but that's teen culture. Nothing's "real", you can't be genuine about anything, so you have to disguise your honest experiences with post modern irony.

Does it deserve to be an Oscar winner? Hell no. But, then, neither do most Oscar winners.

And, yeah, I'm as sick of the press on her as anyone, but I can seperate her persona from her writing. Time will tell if she's the real deal. I think she may well be.

Comment

Roger Ebert has chosen "Juno" as his number one best film of 2007.

Comment

Working...
                              X