No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "2012" Teaser Trailer

Finally netflixed this.

I ususally hate whenever anyone uses 'best ever / worst ever' hyperbole, but 2012 has to be the worst film ever produced by an american studio.

There is not a single scene in this film that isn't implausible, illogical, or contrived, and with dialog that's on-the-nose, cliched and maudlin all at the same time.

There are moments of real human peril interrupted for sitcom-level humor.

There are moments of monumental catastrophe paused to discuss banal domestic issues.

The CGI is laughable, with no bearing on real world physics or scale.

Why would people pay 1 billion euros to gain passage on a ship in a world where money will have no value?

Why should I care, in a world where billions of lives have been snuffed out in a day, that a little girl stopped wetting her pants?

I could literally write a 20,000 word essay on how epically bad this film is, in a way that far surpasses the silly, cheesy fun of films like Independence Day or Day After Tomorrow. It's ludicrous to the point where even MST3K couldn't make fun of it. It is a spoof of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      Finally netflixed this.

I ususally hate whenever anyone uses 'best ever / worst ever' hyperbole, but 2012 has to be the worst film ever produced by an american studio.

There is not a single scene in this film that isn't implausible, illogical, or contrived, and with dialog that's on-the-nose, cliched and maudlin all at the same time.

There are moments of real human peril interrupted for sitcom-level humor.

There are moments of monumental catastrophe paused to discuss banal domestic issues.

The CGI is laughable, with no bearing on real world physics or scale.

Why would people pay 1 billion euros to gain passage on a ship in a world where money will have no value?

Why should I care, in a world where billions of lives have been snuffed out in a day, that a little girl stopped wetting her pants?

I could literally write a 20,000 word essay on how epically bad this film is, in a way that far surpasses the silly, cheesy fun of films like Independence Day or Day After Tomorrow. It's ludicrous to the point where even MST3K couldn't make fun of it. It is a spoof of itself.
      Talk about how shitty it is, but the film did its job if you took the time (and money) to rent/buy/pirate/watch it.
      Assistant at UTA, training to be a Talent/Lit agent.

Comment

I found the film entertaining. Definitely preferred it over DAY AFTER TOMMOROW. Some good moments in it. And I loved the CGI.

In response to kintner's armchair criticism:

So then who cares what you think of it? Your opinion is as valueless as any found on imdb or aicn or any movie fandom site.
        ...and you certainly can't do any better yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaco Bean View Post
          Talk about how shitty it is, but the film did its job if you took the time (and money) to rent/buy/pirate/watch it.
          Oh, I don't begrudge the studio one dollar. And I look forward to the next Emmerich disasterpiece.

If anything, it's an example for writers everywhere. Do not underestimate the taste or gullibility of the American film goer. I challenge someone to top 2012 in awfulness.

You can get even more money from them if you present it in IMAX 3D (even if it's neither shot in IMAX nor 3D, just tell them it is. What do they know?).

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
            I found the film entertaining. Definitely preferred it over DAY AFTER TOMMOROW. Some good moments in it. And I loved the CGI.

In response to kintner's armchair criticism:

Hi there.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote my post in another thread when it has no bearing on my post in this thread? Are you mixed up?

Comment

Just gotta point out the hypocrisy -- giving someone flak for having negative opinions when you dish them out with a big fat ladel.

Gotta grin at the haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                Just gotta point out the hypocrisy -- giving someone flak for having negative opinions when you dish them out with a big fat ladel.

Gotta grin at the haters.

Then why wouldn't you quote my whole post? Especially the part where I said you shouldn't criticize a film unless you could articulate what was wrong with it? (which I have clearly done here, in a fun way, making my post anything except hypocritical?)

Are you just one of those angry people who like to argue on message boards? With emoticons, no less? (what is this, 1999?)

Anyway, regarding my comment about writers who 'can't do any better', as I've said, I challenge anyone to do worse than 2012!

Edited to add: I'm going to let you have the last word below, Archie Argument. Have a nice day!
                Last edited by kintnerboy; 03-20-2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

So you're basically implying that everything you've written is "better" than 2012?

Comment

Working...
                  X