AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

I'm not declaring anything other than that it's the one I've enjoyed most of his works. And seeing that I haven't really enjoyed any of them all that much, it's not a high accolade. Personally, I don't understand the divinity bestowed upon him in some circles.

Comment

So I was at the premiere of Avatar (well not at it, but outside it) here in London, since it was in Leicester Square, and the early word is that it is indeed a good film.

From the Guardian:

"So by saying Avatar was really much, much better than expected, that it looked amazing and that the story was gripping - if cheesy in many places - the Guardian is in technical breach of the agreement. It is not a breach, however, to report that other journalists leaving the screening were also positive: the terrible film that some had been anticipating had not materialised. It was good."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...avatar-preview

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
        I woulnd't say the acting is really the problem, it's more the characters and how they are so unreal. That blind pandering to teenage girls.

Titanic (although succesful) was not that great of a movie, and a strange thing for Cameron to do who had previously been doing really well at kick ass science fiction movies. It just seemed like nothing more than a paycheck to James to me
        The acting is terrible. Leo sucks, Kate is unusually terrible with her delivery of some really cheesy lines (and she can often rise above a bad script), and Billy Zane watched one too many silent film villains while prepping for his role....

Comment

It's not that I WANT this to fail...I'm merely voicing my thoughts. I personally want to see it(thought I'm not dying to as some moviegoers are) and I'm sure it will be a solid, if not very good film.

It's just that I think it won't have quite the mainstream appeal as the studio is hoping. I mean, I'm sure it'll make some bank, but I don't think it will break any new records.

Comment

Wow, the early reviews and leaks are off the chart, sounds like Jim C's done it again!

Comment

The Hollywood Reporter says "The King of the World is back", Avatar is a 'a jaw-dropping wonder' and "How will Cameron ever top this":
              http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...04052868.story

Crowd cheers in London:
              http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...MdHCQD9CGOAH03

Comment

Empire Magazine has given it 5 stars:
                http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=133552

"Avatar is a hugely rewarding experience: rich, soulful and exciting in the way that only comes from seeing a master artist at work."

"A transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don’t leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?"

Well I must say, it sounds rather good!

Comment

Fox lifted the review embargo:

Empire Online gives it five stars

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=133552

guess this means VMF has to see it now, since he only goes by critics' reviews
                  Last edited by JoeBanks; 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record, and I'm not trying to be a fanboy in any direction, but out of that Empire review isn't anyone else getting again the Dances with Wolves vibes? It could be just the reviewer, but there are bits there that just flat out reek the Costner picture.

Comment

Cameron has already admitted that it's the same type of story as Dances with Wolves...much in the same way that Under Siege is "Die Hard on a boat," Passenger 57 is "Die Hard on a plane", etc. Nothing wrong with it being similar in structure and archetypal journey, imo, unless it's a blantant ripoff or plaigarized.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...mcrackery.html
                      "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Thanks for that Optimus! It's a good read. There are many bits that, as a big fan of DwW, irk me, which just come off very recycled. I guess once seeing the bigger picture that can change though. Shame about missing out on the 3D.

Comment

Variety:
                          http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

"The King of the World sets his sights on creating another world entirely in "Avatar," and it's very much a place worth visiting. The most expensive and technically ambitious film ever made, James Cameron's long-gestating epic pitting Earthly despoilers against a forest-dwelling alien race delivers unique spectacle, breathtaking sights, narrative excitement and an overarching anti-imperialist, back-to-nature theme that will play very well around the world, and yet is rather ironic coming from such a technology-driven picture. Twelve years after "Titanic," which still stands as the all-time B.O. champ, Cameron delivers again with a film of universal appeal that just about everyone who ever goes to the movies will need to see."
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

That Empire review is written by a moron? What kind of mouth-breather equates Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich with Lars Von Trier? Someone who hasn't seen a Lars Von Trier movie perhaps?

Comment

Hollywood Reporter:
                              But let's cut to the chase: A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of "Avatar." Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in "Avatar" serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Well it's at 100 percent so far on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Comment

Working...
                                X