Is there any chance 'John Carter' doesn't fail?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there any chance 'John Carter' doesn't fail?

and the toy possibilities don't even seem that cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
      Who the hell is Doc Savage? Well, he's all sorts of cool that you've never heard of.
      I have the Frank Darabont DOC SAVAGE script around somewhere... from when Ah-nuld was going to star.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Here's a relevant question for this thread:

How are we defining a failure and success?

If John Carter makes 500 million worldwide, do we call it a success? Because it still lost money...

I think that's why many of us are predicting it'll fail, Bill. They've put soooo much money into it that the only way it'll succeed is if it's one of the biggest hits of all time.

That a pretty tough mark to be required to hit.

Comment

But it's no different than BATTLESHIP in that regard...

JC has the same budget as GREEN LANTERN - which everyone was jizzing over before it came out. (Though, on that one I was the guy who thought the trailer looked stupid... and that the film would have to win me over. I saw it on opening day - it didn't.) So why the jizzing on one film with junky looking CGI and the crapping on another? That's the part I do not understand. Why was everyone here excited by GREEN LANTERN and is hatin' on JC?

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I was personally not excited about Green Lantern and am not excited about JC or Battleship.

Did all 3 really have similar budgets? I've read JC's budget went way over and that the marketing budget ballooned after the firing of the studio's marketing head.

And I've also heard that's just a rumor, but...

Where there's smoke...

Comment

i recall the opinion on Green Lantern being negative from day 1.

Comment

Maybe this trailer's a little better:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53732

HH

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

JC has the same budget as GREEN LANTERN - which everyone was jizzing over before it came out. (Though, on that one I was the guy who thought the trailer looked stupid... and that the film would have to win me over. I saw it on opening day - it didn't.) So why the jizzing on one film with junky looking CGI and the crapping on another? That's the part I do not understand. Why was everyone here excited by GREEN LANTERN and is hatin' on JC?

- Bill
                  From I saw/read/heard, the Green Lantern trailers were pretty well universally panned...

Comment

Doc Savage is everything Superman wishes he was.

Comment

I gotta agree, this fan-made trailer is more enticing than the real one.

http://collider.com/john-carter-fan-trailer/147054/

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

JC has the same budget as GREEN LANTERN - which everyone was jizzing over before it came out. (Though, on that one I was the guy who thought the trailer looked stupid... and that the film would have to win me over. I saw it on opening day - it didn't.) So why the jizzing on uone film with junky looking CGI and the crapping on another? That's the part I do not understand. Why was everyone here excited by GREEN LANTERN and is hatin' on JC?

- Bill
                        I'm pretty sure I hated on Green Lantern. But I'm biased. I dislike Rye-rye as a dramatic/action. He's Ben affleck for the oughts.

I don't think anticipating failure is necessarily all hating. I think at least for me it's expressing frustration with choices made from casting to marketing. I'd love a film like this to succeed. I want most films to succeed at least 99%. The one percent being projects I perceive as possessing nothing redeeming and usually I keep it to myself.
                        Last edited by Ire; 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post

+1.
                          life happens
                          despite a few cracked pots-
                          and random sunlight

Comment

Um...

1. That ain't mars.

2. Fighting aliens and spaceships with a Conan sword???

3. The jumping around was more appropriate and believable when the kangaroo hybrids were doing it in Tank Girl.

This movie is toast.
                            Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                              I'm pretty sure I hated on Green Lantern. But I'm biased. I dislike Rye-rye as a dramatic/action. He's Ben affleck for the oughts.

I don't think anticipating failure is necessarily all hating. I think at least for me it's expressing frustration with choices made from casting to marketing. I'd love a film like this to succeed. I want most films to succeed at least 99%. The one percent being projects I perceive as possessing nothing redeeming and usually I keep it to myself.
                              Yeah, I'm not hating, and I'm no expert, but everything I've seen is questionable at best. I'm looking at book covers and it looks like John Carter was more brooding, more like a Conan, am I off on that? Not to say that type of character isn't old fashioned for 2012, but this dude in the movie is a pipsqueak.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post

that's lightyears better. im glad disney fired their chief ad exec, because she had no clue WTF she was doing.

i still doubt i wouldve seen the movie based on that trailer, but at least i wouldve been more open to it depending on reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X