No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Originally posted by Friday View Post
    Most of us just have stories of staying at Starbucks all day until they kick us out for squatting.
    Congrats.
    It's not even funny how much I can relate to this. It also reminds me of my first LA screenplay (the one you write when you first arrive in LA after realizing the one you wrote back home to 'break in' just sucks). My first LA screenplay was written entirely in a coffee shop in Venice Beach. This was back in the late 90's, before the Starbucks boom, and before it was socially accepted to hang out in coffee shops as a lifestyle.

At the time this place was the only coffee shop in the area where they wouldn't kick you out for blatantly abusing the client-establishment fiduciary relationship when you would stay all day with the purchase of just 'a coffee', which you would then proceed to consume at the rate of one sip every half an hour so as to technically still be 'a consuming patron'.

But as a countermeasure, they didn't run the AC (just underpowered fans). So it was always an endurance game to see who could outdo whom. Every day you could see writers' dreams literally melt away from their faces. Only the strongest survived.
    Manfred Lopez Grem
    WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      Hey Manfred; read your story, and it was very intriguing. Would definitely make an awesome script.

Congratulations on your success (but more importantly, happy you're safe and sound)!
      Thank you so much!
      Manfred Lopez Grem
      WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
        It's not even funny how much I can relate to this. It also reminds me of my first LA screenplay (the one you write when you first arrive in LA after realizing the one you wrote back home to 'break in' just sucks). My first LA screenplay was written entirely in a coffee shop in Venice Beach. This was back in the late 90's, before the Starbucks boom, and before it was socially accepted to hang out in coffee shops as a lifestyle.

At the time this place was the only coffee shop in the area where they wouldn't kick you out for blatantly abusing the client-establishment fiduciary relationship when you would stay all day with the purchase of just 'a coffee', which you would then proceed to consume at the rate of one sip every half an hour so as to technically still be 'a consuming patron'.

But as a countermeasure, they didn't run the AC (just underpowered fans). So it was always an endurance game to see who could outdo whom. Every day you could see writers' dreams literally melt away from their faces. Only the strongest survived.
        Haha. You paint a vivid picture. I can almost feel the sweat dripping from my brow as I read your Venice coffee description. We had a similar weeding out process where the baristas would close the bathroom for 2 hours to clean. I think I started to befriend the baristas and they looked the other way. There actually would be a dozen writers in that Starbucks ever day. Some students. And for some reason, senior citizens like to just camp out there all day staring out the window. I can always hear the writers having a writers conference and going ferociously at their beat sheets--yelling in frustration about being "stuck in Act 2 quicksand!"

Comment

Working...
        X