Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jane Austen Book Club

I saw this on TV last night and rather enjoyed it. The dialogue was a little too snappy in a few places for me, which made things a little difficult to follow, but overall pretty good.

I looked the film up on Wikipedia, which said that it had a production budget of $6M and had made $7.2M. I do not know how accurate (or even real) those figures are, but they were interesting in this day of films that cost many millions of dollars to make.

But I have a question for some of you sci-fi heads out there. In the film they talked about the books of Ursula K. Le Guin. The dialogue (which I said was a little snappy) was unclear at times. The male character in the book club mentioned a couple of titles by Le Guin. I did not quite catch the words.

I looked up Ursula K. Le Guin. I remember seeing her books on the bookstore shelves a few decades ago, back as far as the 1970s. She died in January of this year, and her death generated a good deal of public discussion for a few days.

I was wondering if some of you knowledgeable people might recommend a couple of her books. I know that The Left Hand of Darkness was an early work and that it won the Hugo and Nebula awards in 1970. Would this be a good candidate for a person to read, someone (like me) who might only read one of an author's works?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Re: The Jane Austen Book Club

i was one of the apparent few who paid to see JABC in theaters, being an Austenphile. my vague recollection is that it was okay as a "Love Actually" style ensemble rom com but that it never fully delivered on the promise of the premise (i never read the book so i don't know how faithful the adaptation was). you could see where they wanted each of the book club members' lives to parallel a particular Austen book's plot but it never felt like they really exploited that conceit as well as Jane herself might have with her own characters

Comment

Re: The Jane Austen Book Club

Answering my own question about the Ursula Le Guin novels ... I watched the movie on TV again last night. The first two novels mentioned were The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
      X