Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gravity (Teaser)

Oh - I'm not going to list every little thing that they got wrong about space but I will say this: the pens in the spacecraft were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
      Oh - I'm not going to list every little thing that they got wrong about space but I will say this: the pens in the spacecraft were wrong.
      Maybe they were pencils that looked like pens, or mechanical pencils -- ever hear of those? Every boss use to have one, in a clip, in his shirt pocket.

Or pens with pressurized ink cartridges. Or laser pens leaving behind scorch marks in place of ink.

Do I have to make up all of GRAVITY's paraphernalia's excuses for you...?

Comment

This one time I was thinking about writing a script about the sun burning out, so I went to the ancient physics teacher and asked him some questions. He explained some sciency stuff to me, and basically said most of the things I had in mind wouldn't happen based on our current understanding how stuff works.

I was all sad for a minute, but then he said the following:

"But who cares about all that? It's a movie. The sun can burn out if you want it to."
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          "But who cares about all that? It's a movie. The sun can burn out if you want it to."
          There are varying scales of absurdity in film, but to pull it off you need some form of explanation. One that usually lays outside the scope of current science to reduce nitpicking. This is how Star Trek gets away with everything.

"The core" is a perfect example for your case. The Earth's magnetic field didn't just disappear. A futuristic experimental military weapon screwed it up.

You could pull off a Sun burning out script as long as you had a similar type of explanation.
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

What about the Fisher Space Pen? Are those things real or fiction?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
              Maybe they were pencils that looked like pens, or mechanical pencils -- ever hear of those? Every boss use to have one, in a clip, in his shirt pocket.
              NASA used mechanical pencils briefly but they're dangerous to use in a spacecraft. Today, everyone uses...

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
              What about the Fisher Space Pen? Are those things real or fiction?
              ... or so I'm told.

Anyway, I was trying to be humorously nit picky; my bad for not including a smiley. I was a little disapointed by the stupid stuff the got wrong (like what astronauts wear ) but, to their credit, the big stuff was mostly necessary plot fuel.

Comment

Oh , humor, I get it.

Possible spoiler v
                V
                V
                V
                V
                V
                V
                V
                V
                V

I kind of wanted them to show Clooneys death. I can't think of a movie where Clooneys dies. Gravity could have pulled him in and his suit heats up to the point his but catches fire and he says, "my biscuits is burning, my biscuits is burning!"

NASA used mechanical pencils briefly but they're dangerous to use in a spacecraft. Today, everyone uses...

... or so I'm told.

Anyway, I was trying to be humorously nit picky; my bad for not including a smiley. I was a little disapointed by the stupid stuff the got wrong (like what astronauts wear ) but, to their credit, the big stuff was mostly necessary plot fuel.
                Last edited by mgwriter; 10-10-2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

****ing use spoiler tags

Comment

I loved Clooney's performance. It was pretty stock Clooney but that understated style served the role, being a supporting one, well, IMO. I'm not sure what the competition is but I'd have no beef with him getting the Academy Award.

His character's death was one of the places in which they took artistic license with physics. No force would have continued to act on him in that way, once Stone had grabbed his tether. But, again, it's plot fuel.

Comment

I enjoyed it. I don't rank it up there with CHILDREN OF MEN, but I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                        I enjoyed it. I don't rank it up there with CHILDREN OF MEN, but I enjoyed it.
                        Yeah, I have to agree with you here, RW. I love Cuaron's films.

***************** SPOILER ALERT ***************************

The one thing that took me out of the story was when Matt shows up and climbs into the pod, because it doesn't immediately come off as a hallucination-- I was thinking, no effin' way, you can't do that!

So I thought the film was attempting to defy physics.

Until I realized that she was oxygen deprived and hallucinating. It was a matter of seconds, but that's all it took.

Personally I liked her choice to die... that's what I would've done. Now if the story had been about her returning home to her daughter that had defeated death, that would've increased the stakes for the character, IMO tenfold. It would've had a stronger drive, but it wouldn't have allowed for the character arc that they had-- her deciding not to give up.

The idea that she has nothing left on earth since her daughter's death, makes the ending fall short, because once she takes on Matt's personna "at least it'll be one hell of a story," doesn't seem right for Ryan's character. I mean WHAT is she living for? It's not like there's another child or a family, right? They set it up as she has nothing to return to.

And though she says she's never prayed, that belief could've been her character arc. It would've felt more 'in character' for Ryan to turn the corner and address her prayer directly to her daughter and not to Matt.

She knows Matt is dead, too, so why would she say her prayer to him and not directly to her dead daughter? It was an emotional moment, sure, but it could've been even more powerful-- a mother speaking directly to her dead daughter, telling her, "mommy will see you soon, baby, just not today."

Yeah, that would've been good, I think.

FA4

It was a good film. Saw RUSH right before, and I think it was awesome, too.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I mean WHAT is she living for? It's not like there's another child or a family, right? They set it up as she has nothing to return to.
                          Herself. She is living for herself, because she is worth saving, even if she's not a mother, even if she doesn't have a family, she has inherent value as a human being and her story, her life - is in itself "a hell of a story", one worth telling.

Comment

REPLY TO FINALACT4'S SPOILERS

If I may play Devil's advocate, setting Stone up as having nothing to go back to makes her struggle to do so more powerful. One of my favorite moments in the film is when Kowalski asks, "Do you want to go back or not?" and Stone has to think about it. But she decides "Yes" and the remainder of the film is a test of her will.

IIRC, Stone didn't pray to Kowalski; those "scenes" were separate. But as for why she didn't talk to her daughter directly, I can think of a few reasons. It could have been that Stone thought or hoped Kowalski was still alive; that she felt a better connection to him, at that moment, having seen him more recently and him having shared her plight; and/or her being comfortable saying things to him that she wasn't comfortable saying directly to her daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                              Herself. She is living for herself, because she is worth saving, even if she's not a mother, even if she doesn't have a family, she has inherent value as a human being and her story, her life - is in itself "a hell of a story", one worth telling.
                              Okay, that's your opinion and it's fine. I'm a single parent, and if I lose my daughter, I will not have anything to live for. That's my point of view. I know loss, and I know what I can and cannot live with-- that isn't one of them.

My opinions are based on my own experiences. It's okay that if doesn't agree with yours. My point of view comes from a different place, that's all.

I respect your opinion.
                              FA4
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

REPLY TO FINALACT4'S SPOILERS

If I may play Devil's advocate, setting Stone up as having nothing to go back to makes her struggle to do so more powerful. One of my favorite moments in the film is when Kowalski asks, "Do you want to go back or not?" and Stone has to think about it. But she decides "Yes" and the remainder of the film is a test of her will.

IIRC, Stone didn't pray to Kowalski; those "scenes" were separate. But as for why she didn't talk to her daughter directly, I can think of a few reasons. It could have been that Stone thought or hoped Kowalski was still alive; that she felt a better connection to him, at that moment, having seen him more recently and him having shared her plight; and/or her being comfortable saying things to him that she wasn't comfortable saying directly to her daughter.
                                Yeah, I get that. I understand why they did it, I do. Entertainment value. Call backs on set ups. I get it. I really do.

I'm simply saying that for me (I'm not speaking for anyone else here, nor am I saying anyone should/needs to agree with me) I thought there might be a more powerful way-- that's all.

I didn't say I didn't like the film. I said it was emotional. I said I thought it could be a more powerful emotional experience, that's all.

For me, a man I've only known for a few months can never compare with the connection I feel to my daughter, the bond to my child transcends everything.

This is my opinion. You have yours. It's all good.
                                FA4

Comment

Working...
                                X