No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Black List Experience

Originally posted by slupo View Post
    I got a 7 and a 6 on my script. Someone still downloaded it and then passed it to an assistant at WME. He and another assistant are now trying to get something going with it over there.

Why?

Not because I got an 8+. Because it was on the blacklist. And the point of the blacklist is that at any moment, a real industry person can download ANYBODY'S script on there and read it. And if they like it, then they'll do something about it. That's something that just didn't exist prior to the blacklist.

Sure getting an 8+ gets more eyes on you. But that's not the "point."
    +1
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I got a 7 and a 6 on my script. Someone still downloaded it and then passed it to an assistant at WME. He and another assistant are now trying to get something going with it over there.

Why?

Not because I got an 8+. Because it was on the blacklist. And the point of the blacklist is that at any moment, a real industry person can download ANYBODY'S script on there and read it. And if they like it, then they'll do something about it. That's something that just didn't exist prior to the blacklist.

+1
      Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Why?

Did you make your evaluations public or private? I've decided to leave both public as even though there's criticism they do both state that I can write well.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
          Did you make your evaluations public or private? I've decided to leave both public as even though there's criticism they do both state that I can write well.
          Public.

A 10 rating script's comments are still going to have criticism.

I figure I'd let the person looking at my script determine what's important and what's not from the evaluations.

Comment

Why?

Some people don't seem to understand how the Blacklist removes barriers that existed before. Now I can invite producers who don't know me to read a script without waiver forms back and forth or legal dept. policies in the way. If it's an idea they really like, or has elements they're looking for, my target producers might look at a script with a <8 score. Why wouldn't they? There's no risk.

Comment

This is very true. I've read for competitions and I'd say that almost every time there was a factual inaccuracy or a "distaste for the content", it was always because the writing wasn't compelling enough to make me pay attention and care. Taken on its head, if the script is SO compelling, the factual inaccuracies and the "distaste for content" become a moot point.

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
              At some point, you need to stop blaming the readers and just take responsibility.

You know what might have kept them from skimming and not catching all the details? Writing a great script. I'm sorry, but that's just the truth. Often when I'm reading a poor script, I just start to drift off. Things become muddled. Honestly, I just stop caring. Never had that happen to me when reading something with compelling characters, a detailed world, and tight scripting.

Seeing a 3 rating, your first instinct is going to be "what did they miss" or "what didn't they catch," but if they did miss or not catch something 90% of the time it's because it wasn't written as clearly as you thought it was.

I'm not trying to give Blacklist (or any other) readers a blanket pass. But executives who read your script aren't going to come back and tell you what they didn't understand. They'll just say "Pass."

Comment

Except the Blacklist isn't advertising that they'll give you notes on how to improve your script for the money you pay them. They're advertising that they will help promote the script to their contacts if your script is good enough. The Blacklist's job isn't a coverage service - its job isn't to make your script more engaging, which is your job.

When I pay money for people to read my script, whether they find it boring or uncomfortable to read or the most amazing piece of literature they've ever laid eyes upon, I'm paying for a service. Can you imagine how many people would pay the Black List or any other coverage/notes/evaluation service if they advertised this attitude?

"For a fee we'll provide you notes on how to better improve your script but be warned, if we don't happen to like the story or the writing is bad, we'll skim over most of it and you can kiss our a$$."

My point is that I want the service being advertised that I paid for, an accurate review of my work good or bad. If someone is paid money for a job, do it. Plain and simple. I get that it's different if you're working for someone as a filter so they don't have to read through all the crap for the one slither of gold but these are paid services and I need to know what level my work is at and I need to know ACCURATELY if it's a 3, 5, 8, 10 whatever so I know where to go from here.

Comment

And the fact that they were bad doesn't change the fact that they still made money. The story (or lack thereof) and concept of Transformers was compelling enough to make people want to see it. Your own script must do the same - engage the audience (reader) that they don't want to put it down. It doesn't mean you need exploding robots, but whatever it is that's needed to grab the reader's attention and hold it is what the script sounds like it's lacking.

I know that a lot more goes on behind the scenes that is completely out of a writers control. The story Kevin Smith tells regarding his time writing Superman and dealing with Jon Peters is hilarious and true.

That being said, Ehran's written all but the first Transformers and the only one I've felt is slightly decent out of those was Dark of the Moon. He keeps accepting the cheques, that I wish were mine, and keeps writing them. Michael Bay has his "vision" and so does Paramount and I get that Ehran is a cog in a big machine but that don't change the fact those movies are bad.

Ol' Franklin has said in the DoneDealPro forums somewhere that he does fire them if it comes to that. He said that factual inaccuracies should be reported and that if they are proven they wipe the eval, give a new one and a free month of hosting.

They obviously try to look after their customers which is great but I really hope that when I upload my comedy that I've been working on over Christmas break I don't have the same problems.

Comment

Exactly. Taking it further, if you get a 9 on one review and then a 4, the 4 generally gets the scrutiny instead of the 9 when the 9 could've been just as facetious.

If your script got a 9 but the reviewer got some factual errors, would you report it to the blacklist to get it erased?
                    Last edited by nguyensquared; 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

When I pay money for people to read my script, whether they find it boring or uncomfortable to read or the most amazing piece of literature they've ever laid eyes upon, I'm paying for a service. Can you imagine how many people would pay the Black List or any other coverage/notes/evaluation service if they advertised this attitude?

"For a fee we'll provide you notes on how to better improve your script but be warned, if we don't happen to like the story or the writing is bad, we'll skim over most of it and you can kiss our a$$."

My point is that I want the service being advertised that I paid for, an accurate review of my work good or bad. If someone is paid money for a job, do it. Plain and simple. I get that it's different if you're working for someone as a filter so they don't have to read through all the crap for the one slither of gold but these are paid services and I need to know what level my work is at and I need to know ACCURATELY if it's a 3, 5, 8, 10 whatever so I know where to go from here.
                      This is where I think you're missing the point. You didn't pay for someone to read your script. You paid for someone to evaluate your script. And as any seasoned script reader on this forum will tell you, rarely if ever do you need to read the entire script word-for-word to know the difference between a 3/10 and an 8/10.

A seasoned reader will be able to tell by page 5 (max page 10) if the script is going to be any good or not. I've never known of an instance where I read a dull first 10 pages that magically became unbelievably better later. Never, as in 0%. I may continue reading the script because I have to report on it but guess what? If it's already apparent in those first 10 pages that this is going to be a painful read, I'm going to start skimming - it's inevitable. But it's also besides the point.

Will be there be factual inaccuracies by doing so? Sure. But the note-behind-the-note you should take away is that your script just wasn't engaging enough. On the flip side of that, if the script is a 9/10, the factual errors become a moot point.
                      Last edited by nguyensquared; 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

A seasoned reader will be able to tell by page 5 (max page 10) if the script is going to be any good or not. I've never known of an instance where I read a dull first 10 pages that magically became unbelievably better later. Never, as in 0%. I may continue reading the script because I have to report on it but guess what? If it's already apparent in those first 10 pages that this is going to be a painful read, I'm going to start skimming - it's inevitable.
                        One of the most honest and valuable comments that I have ever seen on this board in the eighteen or so years that I have been here.

Throughout the years that I have read scripts from people here and on Zoetrope, I have always been able to tell whether the script was going to work or not. Sometimes I cling to hope even as far as 15-20 pages, but I have always been disappointed.

And, sadly, even the scripts that hooked me early, and were not painful to read, still needed a lot of work because of issues relating to logic, screwed-up scene headings, really thin second acts, and lack of interesting and complicating obstacles along the way from setup to conclusion.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
                          This is where I think you're missing the point. You didn't pay for someone to read your script...
                          What you're saying about knowing if a script is good in the first 5 pages may be true, but I am pretty sure the Black List does claim to read your whole script even if it is pointless. They even ask you contact them if you believe the reader didn't read your script "thoroughly".

Comment

90% of the time by the time you're halfway down page 1.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I really ought to check the timestamps on these posts better!

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                                90% of the time by the time you're halfway down page 1.
                                There's merit to this stance, and I do know of some readers who do this even if I personally do my best not to be *that* strict. However, I will say that page 10 is being too lenient, based on my recent experience. By page 3 is usually where the average falls for me. MAYBE 5 if the concept is really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X