Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It

Anybody seen this one yet? How does it compare to the original?

Re: It

Saw it...but can barely remember the original unfortunately.

Thought it was okay, I'm sure many more people will be geeked up about it than me based on the buzz it's getting.

Had some cool creepy parts, the kid actors did a good job and I like how it was a horror story that focused a bit more on the character development versus just being a typical slasher flick.

:::::::::: SPOILER QUESTION ::::::::::::

So all the kids were "released" at the end however the main character's brother didn't come back? What was the purpose of showing them all levitating in the air and then coming down if they weren't being freed from the spell or whatever?

:::::::::: SPOILER QUESTION ::::::::::::
    Last edited by Juno Styles; 09-09-2017, 08:51 PM.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

it delivers on the scares for sure, at the expense of any deeper characterization of the Losers. Beverly, the lone female member of the group, is shown to be (1) the victim of incest by her father; yet (2) eager to be the object of desire for two of the other boys. that was grosser than all of the gore.

Comment

I saw it. I kind of liked it. I've had a bad track record with films this Summer so this was an uptick. On a scale of 1 thru 10 I'd give it around a 5 to 5.5. It would have been higher for sure had every commercial/trailer not shown most of the scares already. This drives me crazy lately. They really show way too much in the trailers. One of the previews before IT was BLADE RUNNER 2 and I swear I know top to bottom what is going to happen just from the previews. They show the JUSTICE LEAGUE trailer and in the end of the trailer they show a secret twist! Come on.

SPOILER STUFF for IT... I totally agree with you Joe on the incest stuff. I actually found the parent/people situations with the kids to be more disturbing then the creepy clown. The scene in the basement of Bill's house was ruined because they show it all the time in the commercials. Had I not seen it 10 times already I would have found it very effective. I felt this was like a horror version of GOONIES. I have no idea why it was R. Yes, there was some mature content and the "funny" kid said "****" probably 7 or 8 times. This like the movie I saw earlier in the Summer, BABY DRIVER, did not feel like an R at all. It seemed more kid/family targeted then the F-bomb would be dropped or a silly dick joke would be made. I felt many times this was forced. The funny kid went to that well too many times. So much he became one-dimensional.

But that's nitpicking. I liked the look and style of the villain though oddly enough he talked a bit too much for being other-worldly. I did not mind the movie. Had they not ruined several scenes by showing them on the commercial I'd recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          it delivers on the scares for sure, at the expense of any deeper characterization of the Losers. Beverly, the lone female member of the group, is shown to be (1) the victim of incest by her father; yet (2) eager to be the object of desire for two of the other boys. that was grosser than all of the gore.
          I didn't know having feelings for the opposite sex, at an appropriate age, was "gross".
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
            It would have been higher for sure had every commercial/trailer not shown most of the scares already. This drives me crazy lately. They really show way too much in the trailers. One of the previews before IT was BLADE RUNNER 2 and I swear I know top to bottom what is going to happen just from the previews. They show the JUSTICE LEAGUE trailer and in the end of the trailer they show a secret twist! Come on.
            I am totally with you on them showing basically entire film plots on trailers. The only one in recent times that hasn't done that too much is Aronofsky's mother. But I am noticing with each new trailer they are showing more and more so I am worried they will end up doing the same thing and then when it's time for the film to show we will all know the whole story anyway. I've been trying not to watch anymore trailers for mother because I really enjoy Aronofsky films and I don't want this one ruined for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
              I didn't know having feelings for the opposite sex, at an appropriate age, was "gross".
              Completely agree with this observation. The boy/girl crush stuff was appropriate. I thought the incest suggestions were disturbing but it was like that in the book.

As far as MOTHER goes... It's a weird trailer. It seems like a new take on ROSEMARY'S BABY but I could be wrong. That trailer I cannot figure out and like you said I don't want to because it'll spoil it. I saw ANNEBELLE: THE CREATION last month and it was bad. 90% of the scares were shown in the trailer or commercial. I took my kid to see it and no jump scares for her because she, like me and the audience, knew what was coming. She's a big fan of that stuff and it was lacking. Perhaps had they not spoiled it in every commercial we'd think more of it. Sometimes it's my own fault because I watch trailers on IMDB all the time. Now I watch the previews before a film and see the stuff I've seen on my computer for 15 minutes. I gotta stop. It's ruining my movie experience, hell even my preview at the movie experience.

Having just seen the original IT last week and now the remake... I think the remake is better. It's funny I liked the clown in the original but the remake version upped the creepy factor quite a bit. When I first saw the miniseries IT I liked it. Now it seems so 1990

SPOILER on IT! SPOILER... Hey, one funny thing on the subject of the father/daughter incest relationship in IT. So she kills him? There didn't seem like there was any issue there. She smashed the toilet thingie over his head then the clown appeared. When the boy comes to the house to find her the father is on the ground - dead or unconscious - with a pool of blood around his head. When they finally defeated the clown she had to return home right? So did she come home to a body or a pissed groggy, concussed dad? I know in the end they talk a month later and she's moving in with her aunt, but I was thinking maybe there should be a mention that she was questioned for killing her dad. I mean what happened to her in the 4 weeks after the clown fight? She just step over her father's body to brush her teeth daily and shower?
              Last edited by purplenurple; 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                Yeah I don't really see the issue. I should let all the incest survivors know that they can't enjoy normal lives. Sorry Mum!

Comment

I haven't seen the movie or read the book -- but in the book Beverly has sex with all the boys. As a 13 year old.

Not suggesting this is the case in the movie, but in life, when someone has been a victim of child sexual abuse they can become promiscuous in their teen years almost as a cry for help. ( Case in point, Oprah, who has given interviews stating as such, and who survived sex abuse as a child by multiple people and had a baby at 14 -- which was not by abuse, but by her own participation (the baby later died).)

So -- sometimes -- a girl wanting a crush to like her back can be just that, or sometimes -- possibly in the book if not the movie -- it could be that this is that abused girl's only value or self-worth. So, yes, that would be sad.

https://themuse.jezebel.com/about-th...e-i-1802676064

Comment

[QUOTE=figment;951916]I haven't seen the movie or read the book -- but in the book Beverly has sex with all the boys. As a 13 year old.

Did she? I read the book like 25 years ago and I don't remember that at all. I remember Ben & Bill having a crush on her and her father being a creep and that she was falsely gossiped about for "dating" quite a bit. All that was covered in film.

Comment

Wow. I just saw it. What a remarkably, powerfully, epically bad movie. I am in shock, as all truly bad films leave me. This is Showgirls-level bad. I was surprised, too, because Cary Fukunaga has a writing credit and was a producer on season one of True Detective, which I loved. (I assume he wrote on that, too.) Wow.

Comment

Cary wrote the first drafts, enough of which survived to entitle him to co-credit. but the final version is still apparently vastly different

http://screenrant.com/it-movie-2017-...cary-fukunaga/

Comment

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
                          Wow. I just saw it. What a remarkably, powerfully, epically bad movie. I am in shock, as all truly bad films leave me. This is Showgirls-level bad. I was surprised, too, because Cary Fukunaga has a writing credit and was a producer on season one of True Detective, which I loved. (I assume he wrote on that, too.) Wow.
                          Could you explain why you thought it was bad?

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                            Could you explain why you thought it was bad?
                            Wooden, lifeless directing. Dreadful acting -- the lead was excruciating to watch and the supporting cast wasn't much better. The script was a straight-up meandering, low-energy disaster -- no character goals, no direction. Random scene followed by random scene followed by random scene. Tension came from knowing that the absurdly over-the-top clown was going to pop out of a closet, not from any central mystery or question.

Showgirls-level bad. I am still shocked, X hours later.

Oh, and this might be a semi-spoiler, dunno -- a question for anyone who saw the flick -- was I high or when they all came running out of the (lame, lame, LAME) haunted house after the broken arm scene was it NOT the same location? The scene where the psycho mom comes and gets her kid? I was like wait, wtf, this isn't where they just were.

Comment

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
                              Wooden, lifeless directing. Dreadful acting -- the lead was excruciating to watch and the supporting cast wasn't much better. The script was a straight-up meandering, low-energy disaster -- no character goals, no direction. Random scene followed by random scene followed by random scene. Tension came from knowing that the absurdly over-the-top clown was going to pop out of a closet, not from any central mystery or question.

Showgirls-level bad. I am still shocked, X hours later.

Oh, and this might be a semi-spoiler, dunno -- a question for anyone who saw the flick -- was I high or when they all came running out of the (lame, lame, LAME) haunted house after the broken arm scene was it NOT the same location? The scene where the psycho mom comes and gets her kid? I was like wait, wtf, this isn't where they just were.
                              I'd really have to disagree. For starters I thought the kids knocked it out of the park and almost every single review shared that thought.

When I went to see it people applauded at the end. We don't do that in England. 'It' did something right.

Comment

Working...
                              X