No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by cshel View Post
    To those who are doing this, do the downloads mean that someone is reading your scripts? Hopefully not just repped writers...
    Presumably someone who takes the time to download a script is at least going to glance at it.

Writers can't download scripts. Only agents, managers, and producers. So unless it's a writer-producer sort of deal, I don't believe repped writers get any extra access to other people's scripts.
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
      Presumably someone who takes the time to download a script is at least going to glance at it.

Writers can't download scripts. Only agents, managers, and producers. So unless it's a writer-producer sort of deal, I don't believe repped writers get any extra access to other people's scripts.
      Franklin said that the repped writers get to sign-up for free, on the professional side, and can therefore read the scripts of unrepped writers.
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

It is a great idea overall but I still, as child of the web, can't wrap my head around the monthly fee only to park a script with zillion others, no matter how exclusive access this place is, rather than just put up your own page a la Robo-tard 8000.
        Maybe the economics make sense, but at first blush it seems that the parking should not be bore by the aspirant writer at all, or be a symbolic one, maybe twenty a year or six months, depending on other factors - whether it attracts readers, the rating they accrue, etc.
        Now, maybe this is part of the plan, to ease that up and, with time, make the producing companies taking advantage to front the costs, the way Redford pulled favors left and right to start Sundance.
        I would rather offer the script storage for almost nothing and jack up the reader fee. Fifty bucks sounds unreal for 2012 costs of living, not even for 1990 costs of living, and makes you wonder how thorough the reviews are, even on a basic level.

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
          It is a great idea overall but I still, as child of the web, can't wrap my head around the monthly fee only to park a script with zillion others, no matter how exclusive access this place is, rather than just put up your own page a la Robo-tard 8000.
          Maybe the economics make sense, but at first blush it seems that the parking should not be bore by the aspirant writer at all, or be a symbolic one, maybe twenty a year or six months, depending on other factors - whether it attracts readers, the rating they accrue, etc.
          Now, maybe this is part of the plan, to ease that up and, with time, make the producing companies taking advantage to front the costs, the way Redford pulled favors left and right to start Sundance.
          I would rather offer the script storage for almost nothing and jack up the reader fee. Fifty bucks sounds unreal for 2012 costs of living, not even for 1990 costs of living, and makes you wonder how thorough the reviews are, even on a basic level.
          The reviews are only very brief evaluations using a 1-10 rating system that will only take the reader a few minutes to do. So the fee is mostly for the time it takes to read, hopefully, the entire script.

If they started charging the reps and prods to join, they probably wouldn't. I think Franklin queried them for feedback on the project before deciding how to set it up.
          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
            This I agree with. You get practically nothing for your money, except being buried by existing scripts.

There needs to be a mechanism in place that really aids discovery - I don't see it yet, other than to throw a lot of money at reads, which isn't ideal.

Still, it's very early days. Once every all the reads are in and sorted, it might make a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
              Franklin said that the repped writers get to sign-up for free, on the professional side, and can therefore read the scripts of unrepped writers.
              Wtf, really?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                Franklin isn't "full time" on this BL3.0 thing. He's still a producer by day, so I'm sure it's tough to find time in his schedule to answer Q's here. He'll check in soon enough.
                Not to be argumentative, but is it true that Leonard is a producer by day? I wasn't aware of that. He was an exec at Overbrook, but that job has ended, and as far as I know he's never produced a film.

Comment

Franklin was here when he was promoting this and should show up now when we (some of whom are supporting this) to answer questions. Haven't answered my email yesterday either.

If Franklin isn't full-time on a business he started he should be.

Beginning to feel I made a mistake with my $75 dollars..

Comment

I mean, I could be wrong. Definitely wouldn't be the first time. But I've heard he's not done with producing.

Also, I didn't mean he's only working part-time on this thing or whatever. I just meant there are other things on his plate. He's a busy dude. But I'm sure the hours he puts in on BL3.0 are well over what anyone would consider "full-time." It's just not the only thing he's doing.

But, like I said, I could be wrong.

Comment

Just paid for my first 'Back by Sunrise' review (also hoping ScriptNotes reviews the first three pages - but they had over 500 submissions!) - I'll let you know how this turns out!
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally Posted by cshel
                        "Franklin said that the repped writers get to sign-up for free, on the professional side, and can therefore read the scripts of unrepped writers."

Travis Fields "Wtf, really?"

I agree with Travis. I joined the site to get my writing in front of those who can get it produced. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashlander View Post

There needs to be a mechanism in place that really aids discovery - I don't see it yet, other than to throw a lot of money at reads, which isn't ideal.

Still, it's very early days. Once every all the reads are in and sorted, it might make a little more sense.
                          I agree that it appears to offer very little in terms of discovery. Loaded up with notable scripts but finding scripts is nearly impossible using their filtering tools. Then again, I have had 4 downloads and 1 rating but I cannot figure out how the readers even stumbled upon my script.

Does anyone know anything about the paid reading? Will you get something emailed to you or is it merely a rating? There are some specifics that are not addressed clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
                            Franklin was here when he was promoting this and should show up now when we (some of whom are supporting this) to answer questions. Haven't answered my email yesterday either.
                            He's at the Austin Film Festival. I'd be offline if I were there as well!

Comment

Here's a question. Say I upload a script.

When someone "hits" my script title, do I know who hit it?

Probably not, right? Ok. No biggie there.

But when someone downloads it to read it, do I know who did?

I've been cautious to a fault with my scripts -- but that's my choice.

If I send out a script, I want to know who's got it and who's reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Fields View Post
                                Here's a question. Say I upload a script.

When someone "hits" my script title, do I know who hit it?

Probably not, right? Ok. No biggie there.

But when someone downloads it to read it, do I know who did?

I've been cautious to a fault with my scripts -- but that's my choice.

If I send out a script, I want to know who's got it and who's reading it.
                                You will never know who reads or downloads or rates your script. Only if they contact you. It is all anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                                X