Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blacklist (the TV show)

I dunno if I'll like the series, but episode 1's opening sequence was great.

Re: The Blacklist (the TV show)

Franklin has his own TV series now?
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Dvr'd it so it's on my to be watched list.
      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        Franklin has his own TV series now?
        I was thinking the same thing.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Premise 6 (We've seen this before)
          Plot 7 (We've still seen this before)
          Characters 7 (At least they're attempting to go against type, a little)
          Dialogue 7 (Fine for network television)
          Spader 10 (He's sublime!)
          Overall 8 (For the Spader Factor)

I'm excited about this one... it can only get better!

Comment

Phenomenal, considering it's network television. Anyone who saw the trailer knew the whole story going in, they gave it all away, but it didn't matter. Some very cool, very smart decisions throughout (with one glaring exception I'll get to in a moment).

The opening sequence is gold, a solid hook. In part because we've seen it before (most notably "Seven") and Spader made it great anyway. The abduction scene was intense, movie-quality action and the use of the mask blew me away. Right there I knew they wouldn't pull any punches and they sure delivered.

Though not quite a premise pilot, I expect things will change a bit going forward so I'm anxious to see what those changes are. I'm hooked on Spader alone, but Beth's intriguing and gorgeous so there's icing on the Spader cake.

**SPOILER**

Because everything else was so smart, I find it difficult to believe none of them could see Spader totally set them up for the abduction. Those terrorists had a very specific plan and were well-equipped for it, and it revolved around the girl being on that bridge. They weren't going to take her from the dance studio, and they weren't going to snatch her from the nanny or security detail on the way home. They were geared for an assault on multiple vehicles, multiple opponents. The only way that plan works is if the FBI gets the girl and brings her to them, and that means Spader orchestrated it. It's too obvious for them, especially Beth, to miss.

On the other hand, seems I don't care that much since I'm already looking forward to the next one. I just hope they don't make it a habit of glossing over things like that.
            Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Enjoyed it given it's very familiar. Joe Carnahan directed the ep so yeah, he knocked it out of the park.

The Silence of The Lambs relationship between Keen and Reddington was familiar, but I hope they go down the dark road that has been intimated, and twist it around.

Good to see Spader having fun and playing a bad guy.

I hope the show lasts.

SPOILERS

As far as the kidnapping, yeah, my suspension of disbelief was tested, that one, not only was it a set-up, but two, that the Russians would rather have an elaborate shootout on a bridge than take the girl before/after ballet practice. That was a bit out there.

I knew the husband was not long for this world.

Still, a nice twist when she finds out who he was etc.
              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Spader was great, but aside from that, it was very derivative. I'm in agreement with Cooper's scorecard -- on Spader.

And those have to be the stupidest FBI agents on the planet! Especially the protagonist who is supposed to be a profiler, expert in "reading people" but I guess that didn't include her husband.

Not something that will make me continue to tune in, I'm afraid.

Late Night Writer

Comment

SPOILERS*************

The FBI leaves the most wanted criminal in the world in a hospital with an open window?

The abductors flee in Zodiacs at all of what 20 mph? How hard would it be to have a Coast guard chopper or city police boat patrol follow or intercept them? Just ridiculous.

Other criminals would really believe Reddington was being allowed to live and operate freely in that posh hotel and that there was no government involvement? Ask housekeeping if there is more than 1 guy in the penthouse, "cover" blown.

Since when do fbi agents have to clean up crime scenes with a brush on their hands and knees, oh I know since that is the only way to have her find the box, how creative.

And the worst part of all with 2:55 left on the bomb why in the hell wouldn't she evacuate all the innocent people from the area. Just crazy silly. with 1:55 and running she is hugging the kid and people are just wandering around her completely oblivious.

This whole thing is gaping plot hole after another and by the time they are "revealing" the big, wait for it, "twists" you will have forgotten all the flaws in how things went down.

If he is a good guy why allow so many agents to die, if he is a bad guy why not give the agents the means to get the Serbian quicker and more certainly. Just makes no sense.

Whole thing just pissed me off.
                  Eric
                  www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

I liked it and will keep watching for now. Am I the only one who thinks the FBI agent is going to turn out to be his daughter?
                    826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

any thoughts on episode two compared to the pilot?

SPOILERS*******

I liked the performances of the leads, but thought the production design was lacking. I also felt like the connection between Lizzy and the Rossellini was forced and earnest.

On the whole, the show for me went from being almost a movie to a lot like alias. Not surprising perhaps because they seem to have a few alias vets behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmithteer View Post
                        I liked it and will keep watching for now. Am I the only one who thinks the FBI agent is going to turn out to be his daughter?
                        Nope.

Comment

I think there was an interesting shift between the first two episodes. It's still in my love to hate to watch (or however that goes) category, but I feel a bit bipolar about it. I love Spader, and find his character even more interesting in the second episode. That part is like crack for me. I hate that Lizzie is Miss America beautiful. That part gives me detox tics and twitches. I mean, couldn't she have a scar on her face or something to go along with her mangled wrists?

Possible Spoilers........

I don't know how long I'll be able to tolerate the suspension of disbelief required to get through the FBI fvck ups. First episode, (as someone else posted), that whole debacle of leaving most wanted fugitive alone in a room with an open window... no words for that frustration but other factors outweighed it. Second episode... um... the whole "oh no we lost him again" teaser sort of bugged me, but then I sort of liked the way they resolved it, and then I really liked the way they resolved it.

As for the daughter thing, I'm putting my money on it, but I'm surprised they laid it out so plainly like that in Reddington's dialogue.

Comment

So Spader is her father, right?

Comment

Just watched the first episode. Spader ruled. It can go one of two ways: it can be a solid drama or, as I fear with the "let's be a team" it can descend into typical junk where every week they have to catch somebody new and once in a while a crumb from a developing subplot will pop up in the hope of maintaining viewer interest as they dish out the same old same old. Just like with the A-Team and The Hulk when the army guys would turn up once in a while to distract viewers from the format of guy/s travelling around getting into new adventures each week and doing the same stuff they did the week before.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X