Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maverick Route

How many of you have planned (or plan) to get your script made in to a movie in the event that agents/managers balk? What steps are you taking?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: The Maverick Route

We've made a couple shorts. Now we're writing a lower-budget feature script, and we're educating ourselves more about low-budget filmmaking. We've been taking classes, reading books, talking to people, getting business cards from people who might have a location or a skill we need.

When we go to movies or read articles about entertainment, we're always thinking about casting our movie. We have a Native American role, so we're going to check out some Native American stand-ups. We've contacted musicians we heard on NPR and asked if we can use their music. We also hope to work with the composer and others who helped us on our short. We just keep our eyes open for anything that might help us get the job done well.

Comment

Having read the posts on this site over the years concerning the harsh realities of this biz, I'm taking that route myself.

I think it's necessary to think like a producer. The traditional query letter may not be dead but it's comatose. Personally, I'm determined to see all my scripts get made. I've already spoken to some people on the in and my horror/comedy seems to be the most doable under these modest conditions.

I've quit putting too much emphasis on sending out queries. Pick up the damn phone. Meet the suits in person. Make people feel your passion dead center. That's what I'm on right now.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

A less "maverick" approach is to move on to the lower tiers of the business, and forgo the idea of a big six-figure payoff and all the accompanying glory, but still not make the film yourself. There are scores of inspired filmmakers just as there are writers, who will make your movie provided it's low-budget and marketable.

I took a step back from all the studio fare I've been pushing specifically with the intention of writing such a script and getting it made. Now I've made a deal with a small outfit that's extremely pumped about the resulting teen horror script and is going to shoot it this Spring. I have no illusions about seeing any real profit, but it was a chance I decided I'm willing to take. After all, they're self-financing the whole thing themselves, taking an even greater risk than I am, so I certainly didn't mind agreeing to profit-participation in lieu of a sale. I'd rather see the few grand I might otherwise see go into the production, to better the finished product.

Meanwhile, I'll jump back into writing studio material, and hopefully will have a produced credit to add to my resume next year, which I believe will only help me achieve my long-term goal of a successful career in the majors.

Comment

I'm trying it too. I actually got ahead of myself and got a couple of name actors attached, lined up crew and locations, and fell down trying to raise the money. Having no track record is something of a disadvantage when trying to part people from their cash. So I'm stepping back and doing the same as Joan and her Tribe. I've written a bunch of shorts and will make as many of them over the winter as i can. If they work out halfway decent i'll make one of several ultra-low budget features I've prepared. With all of that behind me I'm going to try fundraising for the real project again.

Comment

Count me among the mavericks. My production company has now produced a feature and a short, but not yet anything I've written or directed. Another company produced a short I wrote and I've been hired to write several low budget indie features by other filmmakers (none made yet). I've got one more short and a feature I'd like to do before we go after financing for any of my own feature projects.

Ideally, by the end of next year we'll have a Cannes/Sundance/Toronto worthy feature in post-production and a couple shorts that have won some festivals. From there things will get both easier and harder. Easier to find financing and harder to keep my day job. Fingers crossed!
            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Yup, me too. Producing an indie feature with award winnning indie director attached using international funding and also producing a short film at the moment with a name indie actor attached. I'm the writer on both projects.

You need to spend some time building up a network to put a feature/short together. I've done that by flying to Cannes every year, the AFM and flying to LA at least once a year. You can get to know a lot of people in a short space of time at the festivals.

In parallel to this I'm writing my next Hollywood spec. I'm also planning to shoot a low budget feature on the back of the short. I'm just trying to cover all bases, really :-) Who knows, right?

...and good luck with the feature, Hairy. Way to go.
              Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
              Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

I just produced a feature film that I wrote and directed. Going to begin hitting the festival circuit in February.
                https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Me too. I'm producing with three other (much more seasoned) producers a script of mine to begin shooting next fall in Chicago. We have two actors attached, a DP semi-attached, a casting company, an LLC, attorney (who is the highest paid person on this project right now).

I for sure am meant to do more than just write them; I'm into the entire process..I have to be able to choose which song goes with what scene, I want to choose the actors, pitch them the project because NOBODYwill sell it like I can at this stage. Now, the whole "get distribution/presales" and that whole sales process with investors SUCKS...I REPEAT SUCKS..for me because I really have no formal training in that area (which is why dirtbottle comes in handy ) but I'm willing to learn. My other producers have experience where I am lacking and we have raised 5k already without really trying. Keep your fingers crossed...Website design, flash intros...LLC...PPM, all that crap I had no clue about a year ago.

We have two other features in development for our next projects so it's not some hobby that's going to go away any time soon. I've said it before, it's so empowering from a writing standpoint as well and you really learn the concept of "writing with the end in mind". It actually makes the creative choices easier because you have certian perameters.

Kid, congrats on all your success. And to the rest of you doing the same. Go get 'em.
                  c
                  Cesahr
                  www.Baggagethefilm.com
                  "I could be wrong, and I probably am."

Comment

I went the Maverick Route before and we're just getting our film out to see the light of day.

November 8th Behind the Nine DVD Released on Netflix (http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?trkid=73&movieid=70039662)

I'm hoping to shoot another feature in '06 and have several shorts that I directed as well.

I co-wrote a horror script that was release in '04 and an action script that will likely be released by Shoreline Ent. in '06 but 'Behind the Nine' was all me an my co-writers doing. Ultra-low budget and we made the scene at two festivals.

Runner-Up Best Feature at MEIC Film Fest
                    Best Actress - Dawn Smith at Saints & Sinners Film Fest

Still trying to sell foreign territories and a true Domestic deal (blockbuster etc.).

Put it in your queue if you've got Netflix. (trailer available at: behindthenine.com)

It's a tough road to be sure but until I'm getting those large script deals, I'm feeding my creative urge to make movies while keeping my day job.

-M
                    Behind the Nine DVD available on Netflix http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?trkid=73&movieid=70039662
                    See trailer:
                    behindthenine.com

Comment

Right on, congrats and good luck with distribution!
                      Cesahr
                      www.Baggagethefilm.com
                      "I could be wrong, and I probably am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cesahr
                        Right on, congrats and good luck with distribution!
                        Thanks. Good luck on your upcoming projects as well.

-Martin
                        Behind the Nine DVD available on Netflix http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?trkid=73&movieid=70039662
                        See trailer:
                        behindthenine.com

Comment

If things go according to plan (do they ever?) I'll be making a film this year... but not because anyone balked. Actually, the opposite. I would never make a film from a script that nobody wanted (then I'd just end up with a *movie* that nobody wanted). I test the waters with the script, and if there's interest, I'll make the film.

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm actually at the very beginning stages of this process up here in Canada, so I find all your stories inspiring.

I just got word that my number one choice actress for the lead role really likes the script and is definitely interested. I'm surprised at how motivating that has been.

Good luck to all you folks out there doing it, and thanks for the stories.

Comment

You people are amazing...

Comment

Working...
                              X