Anybody ever write more than one script at a time?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever write more than one script at a time?

For example, anyone ever be in the middle of writing a drama script while also writing a romantic-comedy and a horror?

They don't even have to be different genres, just different scripts.

Re: Anybody ever write more than one script at a time?

Always.

Usually one other first draft going or maybe a rewrite. Plus, I'll glance at the 15 story ideas I have on a list and add some notes if an idea strikes... sometimes you need a little breathing/mulling time from the main project you're working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise View Post
      For example, anyone ever be in the middle of writing a drama script while also writing a romantic-comedy and a horror? They don't even have to be different genres, just different scripts.
      Yes. It's a healthy exercise requiring discipline and works well for some writers. It's akin to giving yourself 'fresh eyes' on your own work when going back and forth.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM. Reason: Brevity
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I only write part-time, so that'd be way too chaotic for me. So I do one script at a time.

That said, I try for 20 good story ideas each week. I also write down scraps of dialogue, make notes about theme, document certain facts (for later use), etc. If I have a serious brainstorm, I'll write up a quick summary and file it away. But basically, the goal is to clear my brain so I can return to the main focus of my current script.

Comment

I live so fully in the world of whatever I'm writing that this is really hard for me to do. I've had to do it once for professional reasons, but once I get into flow on one project - which can last for days or weeks - the last thing I want to do is pull myself out of it and write something else.

Comment

No. I invariably get a "better" idea for a script when I'm in the middle of writing.

I believe this is a form of writers' block, so I jot down some notes on my new idea and return to the script I'm writing.

Comment

I have two hands and two laptops... of course!

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Definitely not, as far as first drafts (or big rewrites). I'm always outlining dozens of other ideas while I write one script, however, and I think you have to be able to rewrite multiple scripts at once or you'll have a slow career. If I try to sit down and write more than one full script at once, however, I start mixing up my tones and losing my inspiration for why I'm excited to write either one. I like to live in one world at a time, and just visit all the other ones for brief jaunts.
                I think they say on the Scriptnotes podcast that you can write one and rewrite another at the same time, but it's hard to stack up more than one in each category, for what it's worth.
                @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

When I'm writing, I focus on one script. I'll work on world-building, outlines, character development, or rewrites while writing but I only write pages for one script. Except for short writing exercises (like the Halloween challenge here), I'll take a break from my main project to participate in those if I'm not on a deadline, but I still won't work on both scripts at the same time.
                  Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill
                    It's true, Bill could write a script with one hand tied behind his back.

Actually I'm doing two right now, comedies, while I wait for notes on my last script. One is more developed than the other, but I don't advise doing it all that often. These are "side projects." But to write two major scripts, say for Nicholl submission, etc., concurrently, that would most likely fry my mind.
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Currently on three scripts - I concur with the "fresh eyes" approach. I do however schedule days/weeks for individual drafts.

M
                      "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill
                        Heheh, considering your prolific nature, I don't doubt it!

I'm a little A.D.D.ish, so I'm always writing one while developing another (not necessarily writing 2 at a time).

I find it is a great refresher to switch to another world entirely for a while when my current project gets sticky/overwhelming.
                        12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

Yep, all the time. My husband and I write as a team and so a lot of times one of us will work on an outline while one of us works on a draft, and then we trade.

For example, I did the second draft of our action script while he worked on an audio production and an outline for the next season of one of our other ongoing audio productions. Now he's doing the third draft of the action script and I'm revising the outline for the other production. Then we'll go over the third draft together, and the outline will go to the writing staff for their feedback...and we'll get going on our next project (scripting a comic for a contest).

We always have something going on even though we're repped yet, but I think we're close, so that's cool. I think we've developed good work habits that will serve us well in the years to come.
                          writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                          twitter.com/susanlbridges
                          pendantaudio.com

Comment

There's always two scripts I'm working on at a time. They are always different genres. For instance, I have a historical dark comedy that I'm refurbishing and and Sci-fi script that's also being worked out.

On the side of that, there's several stories I continue to outline.

Always have A, B and C's. There is the aspect of keeping your scripts "fresh" to your eyes, but that's not the whole story. My juggling multiple projects, you're more or less training yourself for enormous projects that may or may not come later on. In other words, your writing. Always writing. It's being pragmatic, ultimately.

This is the essential practice I utilize with my wine case. Many regions, many vibes, many emotions--nothing's stagnant. It's being prepared for a hell of a good time later down the road.
                            "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
                            --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

Unless I have a looming deadline, I always have several projects going. When I hit a wall with one it's helpful to be able to put it down and pick something else up for a while. Then I can come back to the first one with new eyes.

The only time this doesn't work for me is when I'm working on a novel and a screenplay. The style and use of language is just too different and it trips me up to go back and forth.

Comment

Working...
                              X