Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Launched an Indiegogo Campaign for our Micro-Budget Film CACTUS JACK

Hey, guys. For the last year or so my bro and I have been putting together our feature directorial debut, an ultra-contained micro-budget dramatic thriller called CACTUS JACK - and we've finally kicked off a crowdfund campaign to get it in the can.

LOGLINE: When a hateful, vitriolic basement dwelling podcaster goes viral, he garners an audience of violent sycophants and incensed enemies - and faces deadly backlash. Think TAXI DRIVER meets TALK RADIO.

As you can see, we've shot a proof-of-concept trailer (warning, extremely NSFW), and the project is an extremely timely gonzo snapshot of this insane election cycle - we're even building and shooting around election night as it figures into our climax. This is truly grassroots stuff that is radioactive as far as Hollywood is concerned, and we need all the help we can get on the street level.

So *PLEASE*, if you can, chip in a few bucks or help spread the word to friends, family, acquaintances and your social media audiences. Thanks!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...--2/x/12766821

Re: Just Launched an Indiegogo Campaign for our Micro-Budget Film CACTUS JACK

Just backed you JT
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

You're a peach, KL!

Comment

Hey guys! I know not many people check out the announcements here, so feel free to get talking about it elsewhere (not sure where Will and Co. would prefer), but we have an update on this crowdfund.

Just under $3k with a week left, which is only 15% of our goal but we've also had over 6k come in offline so we're about halfway there but feeling the crunch. That said, here's a little promotion, which I figured a lot of people here might be interested in:

Our manager, producer, and consigliere Sidney Sherman of Rosa Entertainment is making a generous offer:

He will do a 30-minute skype call with each of the next ten (10) pre-sales (with following social media share) of CACTUS JACK ($25 tier or more), in which you can ask him anything about the biz, pitch him your wares, etc.
        Great for unrepped and up and coming Hollywood creatives, students, as a gift for someone you know who could use access to this kind of resource, etc.

Plus you get a copy of our movie, which is going to be sick as hell and worth the money anyway!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...2/x/12766821#/

PM me if you back us and want to take him up on the offer! And thanks to everyone who has helped thus far! To those of you who aren't interested in the offer or don't have the scratch to pitch in (we understand, totally), please do us a solid and share on social media anyway. Our good buddy and longtime DDP member Terry Mulloy pitched in for a pre-order and when I thanked him on FB an old friend of his saw the campaign, dug it, and threw down a cool grand to be an Associate Producer (one of our perks)! So sharing can have real impact!

Finally, if you're interested, Script Magazine just interviewed us about the film and the screenwriter grind:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/ca...al-cactus-jack

Comment

Thanks to Docgonzo for pitching in and taking Sidney up on his offer-and for revealing his identity so I could catch up with an old friend!

Comment

I gave $50 and recommend everyone do the same, even if you have to donate blood to scrape the money together

Comment

I'm not in a financial position to offer support, but I'm certainly not lacking in an abundance of sincere congrats and best wishes for a smashing succe$$!

Comment

JoeBanks, reveal thyself!! Are you CB or KF?!

Also, thanks Nostalgia!

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                  JoeBanks, reveal thyself!! Are you CB or KF?!

Also, thanks Nostalgia!
                  CB

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    CB
                    Thou art the man! Love discovering that these DDP voices I always respected are people I already know and respect!

Thanks again for kicking in with us, brutha!

Jay

Comment

Hey everyone! A minute of your time, if you will:

Today is the last day of our indiegogo campaign for Cactus Jack. There are about 14 quickly waning hours left. Despite some hefty offline donations, we're not quite halfway to our goal. Of course we hoped this provocative little project would catch fire but that hasn't happened. If we look at things objectively there are probably a couple of reasons we can pinpoint that contributed to our lack of momentum:

We never made a personal video update. During our guest appearance on the Making Movies Is Hard!! Podcast, the wise hosts Timothy and Alrik suggested we do so with a couple weeks still left-and we even acknowledge that it was a good idea to personally speak on why we need the help of individuals like yourselves to make this happen, how this material is too small and too radioactive for anyone in risk-averse Hollywood to take a chance on. And how we don't want their help and oversight anyway, how the film would suffer for it.

But we didn't. For the same reasons we weren't drilling this campaign at you all day, every day (even if it seemed like it at times) and for the same reason many campaigns probably fail: it's not in us. To shill, even passionately on our own behalf... we just can't do it with conviction. Never have. Likely never will. Our artistic approach has always been "like it or don't,- and we hoped that our little tonal teaser, along with the supporting text, would convey enough of our vision to entice people to pitch in and carry the day without us making the kind of perfunctory "I really, really, really want to make this movie so bad so pleasepleaseplease give me your money!!- type of talking-heads plea so many crowdfunding filmmakers understandably lead with. We wanted our vision to come across and be something people get behind and support and maybe even clamor for without us begging.

Evidently not, with cherished exceptions (massive, massive heartfelt thanks to everyone who has backed us to this point and even simply shared). And we think we know why that is too. This isn't a movie expressly concerning politics, and we don't profess to have any answers. But we can see how it may strike some as a shock vehicle in which we push our own political agenda. That couldn't be further from the truth. What the trailer doesn't sell you on is that this is at its core a story of a dysfunctional family. It's about how a seething hatemonger like Jack is shaped. It's about how the echoes of familial trauma and abuse and poisonous rhetoric trickle down the double helix. This family and thematic angle admittedly does not impactfully come across in the teaser. Not to say this angle would have hooked many more backers, but we do fear that the teaser sells bile and madness and bravado but not the humanity that pervades our story.

We're still hoping for some donations to roll in today, and we're hoping some folks who are wrangling money to help out still do so privately after the campaign ends but rest assured- we will make the film with what we've got come hell or high water, and it will be a sight to ****ing behold. That said, if you can find it in yourselves to throw some last-gasp coin into the fray we will forever nod in your direction. Or if you could simply share this post and/or our campaign page with your own thoughts we will hold you in similar esteem.

(tagging everyone who has helped in pre-production thus far-thanks to all of you for your hard work in getting us this far as well!!)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...2/x/12766821#/

Comment

Working...
                      X