Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Blacklist

Is it regarded by industry folk as a useful marketing tool for specs or is it simply a popularity contest - where everybody helps each other out on the voting side of things - thus demeaning the whole thing?

I had a meeting with some execs the other day and a writer they've got working on an upcoming studio project has never sold anything but has had multiple scripts on the blacklist - so i'm guessing it genuinely helps boost a writer's profile?

Re: Thoughts on the blacklist

I want on the Black List and Blood List this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven L. View Post
      I want on the Black List and Blood List this year.

Same here (both lists).

Comment

I do have a question for those familiar with the Black List "timeframe": does it matter WHEN a script gets sent out wide? In other words, would it benefit a potential Black List candidate to delay getting the script read until the Fall, i.e. closer to the publication of the list?

I ask because I frankly find it hard to believe that execs will remember a script they read 6 months prior (e.g. in June), unless they are nudged by reps to do so.

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
        Is it regarded by industry folk as a useful marketing tool for specs or is it simply a popularity contest - where everybody helps each other out on the voting side of things - thus demeaning the whole thing?

I had a meeting with some execs the other day and a writer they've got working on an upcoming studio project has never sold anything but has had multiple scripts on the blacklist - so i'm guessing it genuinely helps boost a writer's profile?
        Last edited by TravisPickle; 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
          I do have a question for those familiar with the Black List "timeframe": does it matter WHEN a script gets sent out wide? In other words, would it benefit a potential Black List candidate to delay getting the script read until the Fall, i.e. closer to the publication of the list?

I ask because I frankly find it hard to believe that execs will remember a script they read 6 months prior (e.g. in June), unless they are nudged by reps to do so.
          From my understanding, execs are sent voting forms to fill out - which lists all specs that have officially done the rounds that given year.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Re: Thoughts on the Blacklist

Any thoughts on the Hit List - is it gaining a bigger profile or simply just another list?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
              From my understanding, execs are sent voting forms to fill out - which lists all specs that have officially done the rounds that given year.
              That's the hit list that does that. The Black List is purely user based.
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                Any thoughts on the Hit List - is it gaining a bigger profile or simply just another list?
                Eh, it's nice to be on it, but it's mainly seen as a Black List rip off and not in the same league. Maybe that will change, but hasn't yet.

As far as lists go, the Black List matters. People care about it. It's a calling card. None of the other lists come close or are even used as a selling point like the Black List is.
                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Do you think it is a confidence hit against a screenwriter if they have a spec circulate, everyone loves it, and then fails to make the Blacklist? Even more so, the Hit List and if in the Horror genre, the Blood List?

Comment

Do you think it is a confidence hit against a screenwriter if they have a spec circulate, everyone loves it, and then fails to make the Blacklist? Even more so, the Hit List and if in the Horror genre, the Blood List?
                    Well that's up to the writer. And if the individual wants to take a moment to grieve and feel let down by it -- so be it. Hey, everyone's human and entitled to feel disappointed when they miss out on something...

But what are we, 5-year-olds? The disappointment needs to be measured in a dosage appropriate to the slight (Perceived or otherwise). But if it REALLY bothers someone to where they're having serious confidence issues... Then they picked the wrong career. Cuz NOT making a list is about the least of the rejections writers need to sack up and endure.

Comment

Also -- on second reading, I realize you might mean does it affect the confidence that others (i.e. reps/ execs/ etc...) have in a writer.

It shouldn't -- if someone loves a writer's script and then it doesn't make the Black list, they're not going to suddenly turn around and decide that the writer is crap because of it...

I hope...

Comment

I just found this thread and really appreciate the information. I have a few more questions. Generally, what's the vote cut-off to make the BL? Also, do writers know if they made the list prior to it coming out? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxon View Post
                          I just found this thread and really appreciate the information. I have a few more questions. Generally, what's the vote cut-off to make the BL? Also, do writers know if they made the list prior to it coming out? Thanks.

They don't notify you beforehand, but they sometimes get in touch with you or your reps asking for a logline, which is a good sign. They make clear, though, that it's not definite - it just means you've been getting some votes.
                          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                            They don't notify you beforehand, but they sometimes get in touch with you or your reps asking for a logline, which is a good sign. They make clear, though, that it's not definite - it just means you've been getting some votes.
                            Thanks for the quick reply.
                            Last edited by Jaxon; 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Even the reps don't know in advance? It's hard to believe such a big secret could be kept. I thought I read on here once that people who made it got a heads up from their reps.

Comment

Working...
                              X