Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #11
AnyOtherName
Regular

Default Re: Even when you have reps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbank View Post
To quote Sir Ben - No; no, no, no, no, no. Maybe your rep does, that's super bizarre. Reps are not waiting for approval on this. If an OWA comes up in a staff meeting they fight to get your name in there right now, if they are on the phone with an exec who says "I've got an OWA for x type of writer" do you think your rep says nothing then waits to connect with you so they can then get into phone tag to get the exec back on the phone in order to put you up the job 24/48hrs after they first heard about it? No. They put you up for it right away, on the first call.
It's not "super bizarre," I've been repped at multiple agencies, I used to work at an agency, and I have friends are agents and managers-- and I assure you, none of them operate remotely like the Broadway Danny Rose you seem to have in your head. You're going around with a deeply skewed mental image of how the representation business works, and I doubt it's doing you any favors, but it's obviously your choice whether to believe me.

The larger point remains that so, so many careers have withered and died because writers with their first taste of heat allowed their reps to run their lives. My PSA is that learning to say no to meetings, to pitching on OWAs, etc., is a survival skill vital to building a long-term career. That's something that's just not talked about enough, and too many writers waste years of their lives learning it the hard way. That's all I'm trying to say.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
Northbank
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
It's not "super bizarre," I've been repped at multiple agencies, I used to work at an agency, and I have friends are agents and managers-- and I assure you, none of them operate remotely like the Broadway Danny Rose you seem to have in your head. You're going around with a deeply skewed mental image of how the representation business works, and I doubt it's doing you any favors, but it's obviously your choice whether to believe me.

The larger point remains that so, so many careers have withered and died because writers with their first taste of heat allowed their reps to run their lives. My PSA is that learning to say no to meetings, to pitching on OWAs, etc., is a survival skill vital to building a long-term career. That's something that's just not talked about enough, and too many writers waste years of their lives learning it the hard way. That's all I'm trying to say.
Seems like we both know what we are talking about from deep experience, yet we're just two anonymous people on the internet...

And i never said anywhere to allow a rep to run your career. You should absolutely pass on OWAs that aren't for you and good reps expect you to do exactly that. And sure, tell your rep you'd like to keep a certain amount of time clear so you don't have to cross town all week for generals but also when it's right, do the generals or at least discuss which to do. There's a balance was always my point.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
I’ll still email folks who’ve moved on to places that aren’t fits for me just to say hello. YMMV.
Curious about your approach to this. I'm terrible at this part of the game. How do you go about reach out to stay in touch? A simple, "Hey, just checking in to say hi"? (not that simple, but you know...)
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Curious about your approach to this. I'm terrible at this part of the game. How do you go about reach out to stay in touch? A simple, "Hey, just checking in to say hi"? (not that simple, but you know...)
I've only done this when I had a new project in circulation, so I reached out for that express purpose, while making it clear that I didn't automatically expect them to read. I remind them that I completely understand if the project isn't a fit.

But if an exec has moved on to a company where there is really no hope of them pursuing anything of mine, I probably wouldn't bother. No point in approaching an exec at Nickelodeon about your violent dystopian thriller.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #15
Satriales
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I keep a spreadsheet of folks I email after a general. Once every 4-5 months I do a cursory LinkedIn/IMDB search and drop a note if they’ve moved on. “Hey, hope you are well - just heard that you moved on - congrats!” and all that happy horseshit.
Satriales is online now   Reply With Quote