Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spec script sale question?

My question is fairly straightforward, I think, I have completed two Always Sunny In Philadelphia (comedy/tv) spec scripts and am tired of not doing anything with them. I have gotten good reviews from friends and classmates (we do readings of scripts in class) I am stuck now pondering what to do next. Do I send them to production companies, or do I find agencies and just send them out like crazy to them? Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I want to be proactive. Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan

p.s. forgive me for using the word "sale" in the heading of the post, might come off as a little cocky, lol, but I am looking to make some cash.

Re: spec script sale question?

http://www.nickwriting.com/

They look for any 30 minute comedy, currently in production - does not need to be a cartoon or on Nickelodeon

Comment

Existing shows do not buy spec scripts of that show from outside writers.

This is not a good way to try and make some cash.

There are a number of good websites, blogs, and books about tv writing, dig around and see what you find.

Comment

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean I was more concerned with selling, I'm just wanting to get attention, to sell myself with my spec scripts.

Comment

Try sending them to similar shows since you won't get hired as a staff writer of the show you wrote for. I also hear that it helps to have a couple of tv specs that are similar to the show you want to write for.

Get paid? Get paid??? You do have a sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by rylenolflu View Post
            I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean I was more concerned with selling, I'm just wanting to get attention, to sell myself with my spec scripts.
            Write original work. That's how you get attention.

Any professional advice I've come across over the years suggests that writing episodes for an existing show is not a good idea -- it does not show what you're made of, only how well (or not) you can copy other people's work.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
              Any professional advice I've come across over the years suggests that writing episodes for an existing show is not a good idea -- it does not show what you're made of, only how well (or not) you can copy other people's work.

Comment

But if you DO find yourself watching Sponge Bob and find yourself inspired, now you know what to do!

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
                  Write original work. That's how you get attention.

This is wrong. Shows often want to see that you can work within the framework of an established show. In other words, they want to see that you can write for characters and in a style that isn't your own.
                  "Witticism"
                  -Some Guy

Comment

Okay, there's some misinformation here.

You don't sell TV specs. (There are exceptions. But very few.) Your TV specs are tools to sell your skills as a writer of TV. You're trying to get hired to write a freelance episode or get on staff. People often say "You don't spec the show you want to write for", but in reality, unless you're very successful indeed, you're not going to be picking and choosing, you're going to be meeting with anyone who will meet with you.

First, you need to decide to be a comedy writer or a drama writer. Then build a portfolio of that genre. Maybe two specs (one single-camera, one multi-camera) and a pilot. People are really into reading pilots right now. (But again, they're not planning on selling them: they're just samples.)

So what do you do when you have this porfolio? You need to talk to people who can get you meetings. I wouldn't bother with managers at first. You can focus on agents who do TV lit and people who actually work on TV shows. A lot of folks get their first TV jobs without an agent.

You can meet these people by networking, or maybe by calling them (if you're good on the phone). Are you in LA? If you're not in LA, I don't think it can be done. Features, I guess, sure. TV, you have to be here. They're not buying a finished product, they're buying your brain.

If you're not in LA and have no plans to move, you might have some success writing and shooting something original and putting it on youtube. People do notice fresh, funny things. It's sort of a roundabout way of getting there, I know, when you have these two specs raring to go, but that's just how it is.

The final thing you might want to consider is submitting your specs to things like the Disney Fellowship. I am not as big a cheerleader for these things as a lot of people are (I know a handful of people who've done the Disney, for instance, and none of them actually went on to get work.) but it's a foot in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
                      This is wrong. Shows often want to see that you can work within the framework of an established show. In other words, they want to see that you can write for characters and in a style that isn't your own.
                      You are correct, if you're going for a staff position for television. I wasn't paying attention to that part of it.

Sorry!

I avoid T.V. like the plague!

Comment

Original pilots are very common these days for TV writing samples.

Comment

I think rubarb is correct -- build a portfolio of several types of scripts to show your range and understanding of the medium, AND include some of your own original work.

And jimjim gave you good advice, too. Read everything you can about writing specs and what to do after.

If you haven't already, you might read this:

http://www.pilotproject.tv/beginners_guide.html

http://www.wga.org/writtenby/writtenbysub.aspx?id=2336

It's not enough to just write a show - you need to write something extraordinary. -- Glen Mazzera

http://www.janeespenson.com/

I hope this makes up for my first answer, which was a knee-jerk reaction and not good advice! Good luck, and don't stop writing, writing, writing!
                          Last edited by suzeaa; 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X