No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing and Distribution Strategy

Hello D'Ders

Can someone give me an example of a proposed marketing and distribution strategy when it comes to feature film?

What would be the approach? Can you please provide a rationale so I could understand better?

Thank you so much for your help.

Luffy
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-28-2020, 05:39 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting/spacing

Re: Marketing and Distribution Strategy

This is essentially like asking "How do I write a screenplay?" -- there's no one way to market or distribute your film, and such a broad question really isn't going to help you.

That said, I'd suggest starting with this Sundance Case Study for an idea on how it can work for self-distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
      This is essentially like asking "How do I write a screenplay?" -- there's no one way to market or distribute your film, and such a broad question really isn't going to help you.

That said, I'd suggest starting with this Sundance Case Study for an idea on how it can work for self-distribution.

Thank you Eric, I guess I should re-ask the question in a more direct way

How do you distribute your film?
      How do you market your film?

I understand that there's no one way to do it. I'm asking for an example of how you other fellows DD'ers do it.

Comment

There aren't really a lot of filmmakers on this board, so I would suggest you seek out alternative resources more geared towards those who produce their own work.

And BTW your restatement of the question really didn't do anything to change the totally open-ended nature of it that the other poster pointed out.

Good luck.

Comment

What time of film or situation are you in? Are you asking about studio movies or are you asking by indie films? And if it's the latter, are you asking about how to distribute a film you have made or would like to make?
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
            What time of film or situation are you in? Are you asking about studio movies or are you asking by indie films? And if it's the latter, are you asking about how to distribute a film you have made or would like to make?
            I have a full indie feature written, polished and packaged. I'm now looking for a propsed financial plan and looking for a proposed strategy to market and distribute my movie so I when I'm asked for those, I can show it to them

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
            There aren't really a lot of filmmakers on this board, so I would suggest you seek out alternative resources more geared towards those who produce their own work.

And BTW your restatement of the question really didn't do anything to change the totally open-ended nature of it that the other poster pointed out.

Good luck.
            Thanks Muckraker and you're right sorry about that guys.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-28-2020, 04:16 PM. Reason: Cleared out extra spacing

Comment

Originally posted by Luffyweasel View Post
              I have a full indie feature written, polished and packaged. I'm now looking for a proposed financial plan and looking for a proposed strategy to market and distribute my movie so I when I'm asked for those, I can show it to them.
              I gotcha. Okay, I've worked mostly on studio features and I have seen most of what went into those. But I've helped a friend produce (and associate produce) two of his low-budget indie films.

In term of marketing, the filmmaker reached out to websites that reported on films in the vein of his film and did interviews for them. He also reached out to podcasts as well. He entered his film in "genre" specific film festivals to gain attention via any screenings he could get into. He used Facebook and Twitter, of course. It was primarily a grassroots effort. If you can get any money then Facebook ads is something to try and then have them target your audience as best they can.

His distributor helped some but not as much as one would like. This in short involved reaching out to distributors that have released films similar to yours and letting them watch an online version of the film password protected on say, Vimeo. This is more what they seem to do nowadays vs. say a DVD copy.

You can search online and usually find a few examples from filmmakers that have been kind enough to share their pitch packages and suggestions regarding their films.

Here are a few links to at least look which might help get you on your way.:

https://www.marklitwak.com/distribut...filmmaker.html

https://www.hdvideopro.com/columns/t...ur-indie-film/

https://www.moviemaker.com/the-no-bu...-on-the-cheap/

https://www.amyclarkefilms.com/blog/...ution-strategy

https://blog.kitsplit.com/film-marke...for-your-film/

And as suggested above, definitely check out some film making forums where I'm sure this is discussed infinitely more than here.
              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-28-2020, 05:07 PM. Reason: Grammar
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I gotcha. Okay, I've worked most on studio features and I have seen most of what went into those. But I've helped a friend produce (and associate produce) two of his low-budget indie films.

In term of marketing, the filmmaker reached out to websites that reported on films in the vein of his film and did interviews for them. He also reached out to podcasts as well. He entered his film in "genre" specific film festivals to gain attention via any screenings he could get into. He used Facebook and Twitter, of course. It was primarily a grassroots effort. If you can get any money then Facebook ads is something to try and then have them target your audience as best they can.

His distributor helped some but not as much as one would like. This in short involved reaching out to distributors that have released films similar to yours and letting them watch an online version of the film password protected on say, Vimeo. This is more they it seems nowadays vs. say a DVD copy.

You can search online and usually find a few examples from filmmakers that have been kind enough to share their pitch packages and suggestions regarding their films.

Here are a few links to at least look which might help get you on your way.:

https://www.marklitwak.com/distribut...filmmaker.html

https://www.hdvideopro.com/columns/t...ur-indie-film/

https://www.moviemaker.com/the-no-bu...-on-the-cheap/

https://www.amyclarkefilms.com/blog/...ution-strategy

https://blog.kitsplit.com/film-marke...for-your-film/

And as suggested above, definitely check out some film making forums where I'm sure this is discussed infinitely more than here.

Thank you very much for the help!!

Comment

Ever so briefly too, let me touch on one other key things you will have to deal with, particularly after you are all done. Deliverables. These can be extremely tasking and tough to deal with.

On studio feature films, you really don't even think much about these relatively speaking. But for indie films, it can take years off your life. You need photos of the various key actors and the film making process to some degree too -- hire a set photographer or designate someone to take them for you when they can. Also, you might very well have to schedule a photo shoot for one day to get good photos of the actors for various situations.

You not only have to have a poster but multiple variations of it for any and all platforms -- they can get picky. You have to have 5.1 sound, stereo sound, color correction, and HD versions along with meeting different platforms needs. You have to have closed captions done, dialogue lists, etc. There is a ten page document along of all the stuff this one company needs. Not to mention an Excel file with Metadata for your film. You also need a logline, synopsis, etc. to give to various platforms and festivals, of course. Almost no matter what you do, you'll probably end up finding you are missing something and have to cobble it together.

I've helped my friend's friend twice now with his two low-budget films and getting them through an approval process just to get them presented for consideration to the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and Amazon. iTunes is the toughest of all, so many of these "go between" services that help you for a pretty steep price can really beat up on your film about every little thing. They are so nit-picky. And to be upfront, Netlfix and Hulu are "curated" platforms, which means they are selective about what films they will allow on their services. This can potentially cut out a lot of films, including your own. Amazon doesn't care too much since it's just a matter of whether it sells or not, and doesn't really affect their bottom line in the whole scheme of things. Be ready to commit days and weeks to getting all ready.

Again, this is the tip of the iceberg along with maybe a little bit of what is just under the surface of the water.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Ever so briefly too, let me touch on one other key things you will have to deal with, particularly after you are all done. Deliverables. These can be extremely tasking and tough to deal with.

On studio feature films, you really don't even think much about these relatively speaking. But for indie films, it can take years off your life. You need photos of the various key actors and the film making process to some degree too -- hire a set photographer or designate someone to take them for you when they can. Also, you might very well have to schedule a photo shoot for one day to get good photos of the actors for various situations.

You not only have to have a poster but multiple variations of it for any and all platforms -- they can get picky. You have to have 5.1 sound, stereo sound, color correction, and HD versions along with meeting different platforms needs. You have to have closed captions done, dialogue lists, etc. There is a ten page document along of all the stuff this one company needs. Not to mention an Excel file with Metadata for your film. You also need a logline, synopsis, etc. to give to various platforms and festivals, of course. Almost no matter what you do, you'll probably end up finding you are missing something and have to cobble it together.

I've helped my friend's friend twice now with his two low-budget films and getting them through an approval process just to get them presented for consideration to the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and Amazon. iTunes is the toughest of all, so many of these "go between" services that help you for a pretty steep price can really beat up on your film about every little thing. They are so nit-picky. And to be upfront, Netlfix and Hulu are "curated" platforms, which means they are selective about what films they will allow on their services. This can potentially cut out a lot of films, including your own. Amazon doesn't care too much since it's just a matter of whether it sells or not, and doesn't really affect their bottom line in the whole scheme of things. Be ready to commit days and weeks to getting all ready.

Again, this is the tip of the iceberg along with maybe a little bit of what is just under the surface of the water.

That's a very nice tip even tho it's just the tip of the iceberg and thank you very much for this post and I will take into consideration everything you have said so far.

I will keep you on the loop!!

Thank you Will

Comment

Hi LW - Everything that Will said. Plus, my humble 2 cents below based on personal experience of having written, produced and directed 2 feature films, both of which got distribution (For Sale by Owner and Emeryville ):

Couple of observations:
                      1. Distributing an Indie film has gotten increasingly difficult over past decade. You are competing with heavy weights (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube etc.) with deep pockets.
                      2. With Production costs gone down, making a film has become relatively easier.
                      3. Marketing strategies that worked in past have diminished in value. Significantly.
                      4. International market has pretty much evaporated.

What I would do if I were you (assuming you have a kick ass script):
                      Find your paying audience before you shoot a single frame. There are a few ways I can think:
                      - find your talent that has social following. aka at least one named talent.
                      - shoot 3-4 minute of a short that represents your movie (I think SAW got funding based on a short version)
                      - Enter Short in Film Festivals. Shoot to win at a few even if those are not the top 10 festivals.
                      - Start a Kick Starter. Not with an intent of raising $$ but gaining publicity plus pre-sales.
                      - demonstrate that you have enough loyal audience who can help you recoup 50-60% of cost via pre-sales.
                      - engage a good sales agent. He or she can advise.
                      - Don't be in a hurry. There are no short cuts. I've learnt a hard way.

If you need more input, please hit me at [email protected]. I will help as much as I can.

GL.

--fallen.

Comment

Working...
                      X