Writing Partnership Termination Agreement?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Partnership Termination Agreement?

Had a partnership that recently fell apart. From what I read here it seems to be typical reasons.

We did not have a collaboration agreement either written or verbal throughout the partnership. We generated 3 works, each of which continue to get attention, one on very high levels.

I do not have management. Everything's been through his people who have always ignored me and probably have no idea of the level of my participation. If they did, I suspect things would be very different. Alas, thats just what the reality is and I have to roll with it.

We're not talking to each other at all right now but I want to ensure the works can still go out into the world. I want to put something in writing to spell out my take about what our roles were in the creation of or ownership of the works so we're clear and to make it simpler in case any of them get some traction.

Been searching for any kind of template or example on line but have come up empty. Hoping others on this site might have some examples to share.

Any suggestions or examples appreciated.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-08-2020, 03:13 PM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Writing Partnership Termination Agreement?

Originally posted by FluffNFold View Post
    We're not talking to each other at all right now but I want to ensure the works can still go out into the world. I want to put something in writing to spell out my take about what our roles were in the creation of or ownership of the works so we're clear and to make it simpler in case any of them get some traction.
    An "agreement" implies a contract that both parties have mutually assented to. It doesn't sound like you and your ex-partner are at that stage yet. Just write a letter laying out (1) your understanding of the scope of work that you two undertook together and how ownership of the work should be apportioned; and (2) your intentions going forward without the partnership. Leave it at that unless/until the other writer responds otherwise. "If this is not your understanding of where things currently stand between us, professionally, please reply to this letter with your response." or some such language that puts the ball squarely in their court to act. And then, if they get their nose out of joint about anything, that may be the time to reduce some kind of agreement between you to writing.

Comment

Are you looking for something like this: https://www.donedealpro.com/members/...&section_id=13

It's on our (main) site and for free along with other types of agreements. Granted this should have been done before hand, but you can use this as you desire and rework as need be, if it will help.

Also, there are some different examples online of Partnership Dissolution Agreements too, that might be much more specific to your situation.

This is apparently one you can fill out online and I guess save or print (not positive):

https://www.wonder.legal/us/creation...on-agreement-1
      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-20-2020, 05:07 PM.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Had a partnership that recently fell apart. From what I read here it seems to be typical reasons.

We did not have a collaboration agreement either written or verbal throughout the partnership. We generated 3 works, each of which continue to get attention, one on very high levels.

I do not have management. Everything's been through his people who have always ignored me and probably have no idea of the level of my participation. If they did, I suspect things would be very different. Alas, thats just what the reality is and I have to roll with it.

Been searching for any kind of template or example on line but have come up empty. Hoping others on this site might have some examples to share.

Any suggestions or examples appreciated.
        Just saying sorry to hear this. I had a former writing partner but we parted ways pretty well -- although problems do arise from past works from time to time as I want to move on and start anew...

This is a good warning for others to not just start writing a script with another person w/o thinking about "what if we break up" part of it.

Is the relationship over for sure or are guys having a dumb fight and maybe you can work it out?

You don't have to be good friends to talk about business. Maybe you can reach out that way. You both own them equally if you wrote them together. He can't do anything without you and vice versa...

Comment

Thanks for this.

I found a similar agreement on line and used it to frame the letter. A lawyer friend suggested I trim it down.

Exploring how to express my intentions without going overboard.

Comment

Everything's been through his people who have always ignored me and probably have no idea of the level of my participation
            Ugh, I haven't been through your exact situation but I've previously collaborated with a writer who had different and "more prestigious- representation than me. I have no agent whereas he was repped by the top lit agents at one of the big second tier agencies. It was obvious they didn't care for me and it really soured the experience on my end. Plus, it felt like the other writer had all the power in the relationship because I was counting on his agents being the ones to really take out the project.

Guess I just wanted to say that breakups suck but I think you're probably better off forging your own path rather than being reliant on some other writer's reps who don't appreciate what you bring to the table and who only kind of tolerate you.

Comment

Sorry things ended badly.

Aside from the agreement, which you don't know if he's going to read, let alone sign, I'd like to offer a suggestion for immediate action.

If you haven't already...

Organize every single bit of documentation going back and forth (now while it's fresh in your mind) between the two of you on drafts. When I wrote with a working writer we passed copies of each new version. She sent me her file named as such: TITLE, WRITER, DATE, something like that, if I recall. When I made revisions I sent my FD file saved as TITLE LISA 072120. That way we had a sequential order of drafts that we could save to show our contributions.

I'm not sure what your process was, but you'll want to organize all that information, very clearly, in case you have to prove your contribution, whether it's for credit or monetary gain. If you used dropbox to share files, make a copy of all of them on your own hard drive or separate cloud drive so nothing can go missing.

Organize into chronological order, including any emails or other correspondence. You want to protect yourself, since you don't have a manager yourself.

Just a few thoughts.

Then create a document, like an email, that lists out, by date, a summary of the documents sorted in the saved file.

Good luck on your projects.
              FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

JS90:
                Thanks. Yep, sucked big time.

Bono:
                There's no hope for reconciliation. I tried to play the whole thing calm and rational, he buried me in a barrage of truly hateful emails that totally diminished my role and made me out to be nothing but a lapdog. He blew up because he tried to seize control of the latest project, kept me out of meetings, insisted on taking the project his direction and is even likely trying to move forward with his own version without me. Part of the letter is to remind him that project in particular is based on an original screenplay which I still retain all rights to the story and characters. I've got all the emails, registrations and copyrights to prove it. I also found out a feature his management loved and was convinced they could sell over a year ago, a movie that could have been hitting the market now when it's extremely relevant, rather than send a version with my name on it, the former partner shelved it and spent the last year writing is own version based entirely on the 2nd act we wrote together.

Finalact4:
                Haven't done the document to list everything but I do have everything saved and backed up including emails and all drafts, anything shared on the dropbox site, etc. I did usually change the mane of documents I revised to something like "My Pass 01-01-2020, usually something like that.

Comment

Working...
                X