Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Mazin's "Chernobyl" HBO series

Everyone should watch Craig Mazin's "Chernobyl" limited series on HBO. It's a sobering reminder of what can happen when people blindly follow Party lines and deny truth and science even when it is literally blowing up in their faces. If not for the brave actions of people who were willing to confront the powers that willingly ignored facts and reality, it would have been an even worse catastrophe than any of us can imagine. Now it's happening before our eyes with climate change, yet there are people still clinging to the Party line that everything is fine, nothing to worry about despite the historic level of destruction from floods, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes and melting glaciers. Watch "Chernobyl" and pray we learn something from this riveting series. Best thing I've seen in a long, long time. Thank you Craig for telling this story. More people should be talking about Chernobyl instead of a misplaced coffee cup in Game of Thrones.

Re: Craig Mazin's "Chernobyl" HBO series

Chernobyl is good. second episode was amazing. i'm so glad Mazin is involved, he's done a great job. i hope they bookend it with some information at the end about where it stands now.

today i read an article on how Fukushima is still pumping 3 tons of water an hour into reactors 1 & 3 to keep the melted fuel debris inside them cool. that contaminated water that becomes 'coolant' then is stored in 100s of holding tanks.

the Japanese government was actually going to dump that radioactive water into the ocean, before they realized that the international community might consider that an act of war.

that crisis is still ongoing 8 years later. the land and water still contaminated and the government wants to let people move back to save face. it's sick.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by richfigel View Post
      Everyone should watch Craig Mazin's "Chernobyl" limited series on HBO. It's a sobering reminder of what can happen when people blindly follow Party lines and deny truth and science even when it is literally blowing up in their faces. If not for the brave actions of people who were willing to confront the powers that willingly ignored facts and reality, it would have been an even worse catastrophe than any of us can imagine. Now it's happening before our eyes with climate change, yet there are people still clinging to the Party line that everything is fine, nothing to worry about despite the historic level of destruction from floods, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes and melting glaciers. Watch "Chernobyl" and pray we learn something from this riveting series. Best thing I've seen in a long, long time. Thank you Craig for telling this story. More people should be talking about Chernobyl instead of a misplaced coffee cup in Game of Thrones.
      In all, at least 695 people died and 2,027 were injured, the majority in southern Illinois. Three states, 13 counties, and more than 19 communities, four of which were effectively effaced (several of these and other rural areas never recovered), were in the path of the record 3.5 hour duration tornado. Approximately 15,000 homes were destroyed by the Tri-State Tornado. Total damage was estimated at $16.5 million; adjusted for increases population/wealth and inflation the toll is approximately $1.4 billion (1997 USD), surpassed in history (through 2010) only by two extremely destructive tornadoes in the City of St. Louis in 1896 and 1927.

The very swift moving tornado (modern meteorologists estimate that its wind speeds topped 300 miles per hour in some locations) at times exhibited an unusual appearance due partially to its size (at one point in Missouri, it was a full mile wide)...

Track of the Tri-state tornado
      Nine schools across three states were destroyed in which 69 students were killed. More schools were destroyed and more students killed (as well as the single school record of 33 deaths in De Soto, Illinois) than in any other tornado in U.S. history. Deaths occurred at many rural schools. Counting those returning home from schools and those that died in schools, the toll was 72 students.

The tornado was part of a larger tornado outbreak with several other destructive tornadoes the same day in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana, as well as significant tornadoes in Alabama and Kansas. Including additional tornadoes that day, at least 747 people were killed and more than 2,298 were injured. This makes the Tri-State Outbreak the deadliest tornado outbreak, March 18 the deadliest tornado day, and 1925 the deadliest tornado year in U.S. history.
      History is a grand thing.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Great Mississippi Flood of 1927

The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, Arkansas City, Arkansas.
        The 1927 flood was the greatest flood in modern history on the lower Mississippi River. In the summer of 1926 until the spring of 1927, heavy rains fell in eastern Kansas, Oklahoma, and the Ohio Valley. The White and Little Red rivers broke through the levees in Arkansas in February, flooding over 400 km2 (99,000 acres) with 3 to 5 m (9.8 to 16.4 ft) of water. The first levee break along the Mississippi River occurred a few miles south of Elaine, Arkansas on March 29.

Over the next six weeks, numerous levees broke along the Mississippi River from Illinois to Louisiana, which inundated numerous towns in the Mississippi Valley. The break at Mounds Landing near Greenville, Mississippi was the single greatest crevasse to ever occur along the Mississippi River. It flooded an area 80 km (50 mi) wide and 160 km (99 mi) long with up to 6 metres (20 ft) of water. Heavy spring rains caused a second major flood in the same region that June. In all, 73,500 km2 (28,400 sq mi) which were home to more than 931,000 people were inundated. To avoid flooding the city of New Orleans, the governor of Louisiana allowed engineers to create the Poydras cut, which saved the city but led to the flooding of St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes instead. Millions of acres across seven states were flooded. Evacuees totaled 500,000. Economic losses were estimated at US$1 billion (1927 dollars), which was equivalent to almost one-third of the federal budget at that time.
        What the hell were people doing to the Earth in the mid twenties?

Comment

The worst droughts in the history of the United States occurred during the 1930s and 1950s, periods of time known as 'Dust Bowl' years in which droughts lead to significant economic damages and social changes. In particular, relief and health agencies became overburdened and many local community banks had to close.
          I guess after the Mississippi river stopped flooding?

Comment

This show's so good it's helping me get over the tailing off of GoT. First two episodes have been superb and I think I'm looking forward to episode three more than the GoT finale, big congratulations to Craig Mazin, a fantastic job.

Comment

so far so great. well done craig!

Comment

Yeah, this is pretty great. I smell an Emmy for Craig!

Comment

Well, I'm not at all keen on the insertion of the completely fictional Hidden Figures-esque Emma Watson character, in a series that otherwise makes a commendable effort to stay true to real-life events and depict the actual persons involved in the tragedy.

But otherwise, it's a very impressive project and makes for riveting television. Better still, it may even cure some younger viewers (who've otherwise been brainwashed into venerating Marxist ideology) of their naivete -- by showing them what real-world Communism was actually like for the people who were forced to live in that totalitarian world. The series uncompromisingly lays bare the fundamental intellectual rot of that system, and how its interminable lies were piously justified via avowedly progressive dogma.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                    Well, I'm not at all keen on the insertion of the completely fictional Hidden Figures-esque Emma Watson character, in a series that otherwise makes a commendable effort to stay true to real-life events and depict the actual persons involved in the tragedy.

But otherwise, it's a very impressive project and makes for riveting television. Better still, it may even cure some younger viewers (who've otherwise been brainwashed into venerating Marxist ideology) of their naivete -- by showing them what real-world Communism was actually like for the people who were forced to live in that totalitarian world. The series uncompromisingly lays bare the fundamental intellectual rot of that system, and how its interminable lies were piously justified via avowedly progressive dogma.
                    Well, composite characters are par for the course with historical dramas regardless of the accuracy of the rest of it. Sometimes there are too many characters, other times you have to bow to market pressures. Sometimes both.

And not to get political, but there's a wide chasm of difference between progressivism and communism. Just saying.

Comment

for anyone interested, the screenplays for each episode of Chernobyl are available to download off of John August's website.

https://johnaugust.com/library

worth taking a peek at.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I read all five scripts. They are definitely worth reading.

To answer Karsten: A dramatic retelling, even when it is faithful to the general story, is not a documentary and should not be. Composite characters and even completely fictitious characters may be necessary.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I think I got the wrong script(s)

ie.

GORBACHEV
                          Send flowers to their bitches and hos.
                          TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

oops, sorry. I misread it. It's:

GORBACHEV
                            Send flowers to their comrade bitches and comrade hos.

Thank you.
                            TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

"Emmy award-winning writer Craig Mazin" will surely not go to his head (congrats for real!)

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1175945147105722368

Comment

Working...
                              X