Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your "once is enough" films?

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
    Heh! I'll have to check out Mulholland Falls again. I saw it so long ago I don't quite remember it, but reading the blurb on IMDb, I think I'd love it now.
    All-star cast, great story.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
      Some of the aforementioned films - Schindler's List, Requiem, etc. are on my "watch once a year" list.

Once was enough:

The English Patient
      Shawshank Redemption
      Any and all Nic Cage movies
      Hey Matchstick Men was fun! LOL
      "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
      -Maya Angelou

Comment

Some of the aforementioned films - Schindler's List, Requiem, etc. are on my "watch once a year" list.

Once was enough:

The English Patient
        Shawshank Redemption
        Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
        Hey Matchstick Men was fun! LOL
        So was Raising Arizona! Other great Nicolas Cage films include Lord of War, 8MM, and The Weather Man. And I'd have to agree to disagree with Travis about The Shawshank Redemption.

ComicBent’s selections to watch again of Reds, JFK, and Eyes Wide Shut are excellent ones, and I concur with those, but I do like Se7en (the 1995 film to which I hope you refer and not the 1979 film) because of its well-crafted story and great acting. Besides Reds, Warren Beatty also made a what I believe to be a politically and socially relevant, darkly humorous if not significant film in Bulworth.

Seeing a lot of film titles from the 1980s and 1990s here as viewable/watchable over and over. A different studio ‘system’ in place at that time? A different business model? More investment of ‘artistic risk’ on the art side, perhaps, of the tumultuous marriage of art and commerce in filmmaking? Yet, there are so many long-lasting, well-crafted, royalty-generating films available on streaming services and other outlets. Maybe to the bean-counters a movie’s revenue generating ability virtually dies after X number of years out on the market, but I sure do hope that somewhere the powers that be will make the cavalcade of great films through the decades always available to dedicated cinephiles.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
          I love a rewatch so there are very few films that I won't watch again. I saw mother! twice which should prove the point. That said I don't think I'll ever watch Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles again. Very good film but an incredible test of patience.
          Watched this one for a college course and thought it was brilliant. Will never watch again.

My choices are Irreversible,12 Years a Slave, and Last House on the Left (original, though I guess I'd also put Silent Spring in there too).

Comment

Movies I walked out and got a refund:

The English Patient
            The Grand Budapest Hotel
            The Rocky Horror Picture Show
            Shape of Water
            Goodfellas
            Sophie's Choice
            Eyes Wide Shut
            A Beautiful Mind

Movie that continue to blow me away:

Leaving Las Vegas
            A Few Good Men
            Man on Fire
            Book of Eli
            Devdas
            Signs
            Bourne Identity
            World War Z
            Casablanca
            Godfather

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
              There was a fifteen-year interval between my Requiem for a Dream viewings, and that may double until its next viewing.

On the flip side, I've watched Mulholland Falls about ten times.
              Yup, was going to post Requiem. I'm sure there's more, but that's the one that immediately came to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Believer View Post
                Yup, was going to post Requiem. I'm sure there's more, but that's the one that immediately came to mind.
                Cool.

Originally posted by fallenangel View Post
                Movies I walked out and got a refund:

The English Patient
                The Grand Budapest Hotel
                The Rocky Horror Picture Show
                Shape of Water
                Goodfellas
                Sophie's Choice
                Eyes Wide Shut
                A Beautiful Mind
                Whoa! I loved almost all of these, especially The Grand Budapest Hotel and A Beautiful Mind. Our tastes definitely differ, but that’s what makes the world go ’round.

Originally posted by fallenangel View Post
                Movies that continue to blow me away:

Leaving Las Vegas
                A Few Good Men
                Man on Fire
                Book of Eli
                Devdas
                Signs
                Bourne Identity
                World War Z
                Casablanca
                Godfather
                Of these I’m with you on #2, #6, #7, #9, and #10.

Comment

Once is enough for Con Air and Armageddon.

Comment

Once was enough:

The English Patient
                    Shawshank Redemption
                    The Shawshank Redemption? Travis! How could you!

Comment

okay, once was enough...

Geostorm - on a plane with no sound, would never see it again
                      The Shape of Water - simply too much
                      Eyes Wide Shut - i was like, huh?
                      Spiderman - doesn't matter what version after the second i was done forever
                      Zodiac - the whole story went no where for me
                      Immortals
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        okay, once was enough...

Geostorm - on a plane with no sound, would never see it again
                        The Shape of Water - simply too much
                        Eyes Wide Shut - i was like, huh?
                        Zodiac - the whole story went no where for me
                        Immortals
                        Wow, Zodiac?

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                          Wow, Zodiac?
                          in all fairness, it was the third film i watched that day at the theater and it ended really late, i think like 1:30 am. so it could be that i was really tired.

when i was younger, i was totally captivated by the murders and the taunting of the authorities.

as i recall, it felt like it didn't fully answer the question, who was the Zodiac killer. so, maybe i'll watch it on cable again, but it's a long film, too, clocking in at 2 1/2 hours. I think i feel asleep toward the end. at least twice.
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Yeah, definitely give it a go again. It's on Netflix. And they do answer who Graysmith thinks is the killer, though IRL we don't know for sure (the ending shot confirms what he believes).

Comment

in all fairness, it was the third film i watched that day at the theater and it ended really late, i think like 1:30 am. so it could be that i was really tired.

when i was younger, i was totally captivated by the murders and the taunting of the authorities.

as i recall, it felt like it didn't fully answer the question, who was the Zodiac killer. so, maybe i'll watch it on cable again, but it's a long film, too, clocking in at 2 1/2 hours. I think i feel asleep toward the end. at least twice.
                              It would be very interesting to know how accurate those scenes are which paint a pretty damning picture of the guy Graysmith believed was the killer.

Comment

okay, once was enough...

I have to agree with that. In fact I've given up on all comic book movies (with the possible exception of the next Guardians of the Galaxy).

I hadn't watched a Marvel comic book movie in quite awhile, and in a weak moment decided to watch "Thor Ragnarok" since it was on Netflix.

Holy hoppin' piles of dogsh*t -- what the hell was the point supposed to be? It just sort of meandered, aimlessly. Was it some sort of inside bet? "Hey look, I can throw any kind of crap in and people will still watch it if it says 'Marvel'."

Maybe if I had taken hard drugs before I watched it, it would have helped. Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons have better, more believable and engaging plots.
                                Last edited by StoryWriter; 03-12-2019, 02:59 PM.
                                "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
                                X