Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPF Virtual Pitch Fest anyone?

Anyone have experience with this site? They are offering free pitches to WGA writers. Has anyone had a positive experience? Seems easy enough, just wondering if it anyone takes it seriously?

Re: VPF Virtual Pitch Fest anyone?

Originally posted by sfire8 View Post
    Anyone have experience with this site? They are offering free pitches to WGA writers. Has anyone had a positive experience? Seems easy enough, just wondering if it anyone takes it seriously?
    It's a great site. It has a large membership of respectable producers/reps, and I've gotten numerous reads through it. The important thing to know is to research the companies you're pitching thoroughly so that your search is as targeted as possible (at $10 a pitch, it can get pricey).
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by sfire8 View Post
      Yes, it's good, but maybe pricey. But, at least you get a guaranteed response of either yes or no.

It's good for targeted querying if they have people on their list you are trying to reach.
      "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Would definitely recommend it. I've gotten a bunch of reads out of the site, though I agree with everyone here, try and target your search. I will say though, I've gotten requests on projects even when the Pro said they weren't looking for that particular genre, and I've been told a Pro wasn't looking for a certain genre that they had listed as their prefences.

So I wouldn't call it a crap shoot but you should definitely set aside a hundred or so bucks to spend pitching whichever project. I remember once routinely paying 100 bucks just for the chance to pitch one or two companies via screenwriters online, and you would never hear back on passes. Even if you get the generic Pass message, it's possible someone leaves you a message saying something about your pitch or gives you an email to send ideas to, both of which has happened to me.

You definitely have more control than when using other services.

Comment

Another recommendation here as well. Got several read requests today - one within minutes of sending my pitch. A bunch of "No, thanks" as well. After only two days of being on the site - my script's slipped onto their VPF Hotlist . . . though TBH, not sure if that results in any extra heat or not.

Of course, my experience doesn't guaranty anyone else's experience will be the same. You gotta have the right concept and you probably have to rely a bit on timing and luck. Nevertheless, I like knowing I'm going to get a response and went in full well knowing that I may just be spending money to hear "NO". I was okay with that. Also - unlike the Black List, which has resulted in reads, I know exactly what outfit is reading my script. I really like that.

Comment

Also,

Even if the producers aren't interested in the project you pitch them, sometimes they want to know about other projects, and you can start a correspondence which doesn't cost you $10 per.

Comment

Another advantage of VPF is that the site keeps a record of every executive you've pitched and which script you've pitched and automatically displays this information right next to the executive's name.

Comment

Another rec here. And echo what's been said already.

Got several read requests and made their top ten last month. I'm now in talks with a prodco. Who knows what will come out of it but getting any kind of response alone is worth it to me -- guaranteed in 5 days, no less! Cuts down on OCD email checking for sure

Comment

Would anyone who's used this service mind posting (or PM'ing?) a copy of the responses you got? Just curious, because the site only shows two, and while the service itself looks useful, the queries they showed looked boilerplate/fake (Baghdad isn't in Afghanistan, guys... but then, that's the least implausible part of that query, so idk), and the responses also looked fake. I don't know if that was intentional, but the way they described it was as though they were posting actual queries and actual responses. Anyway, it'd be helpful to see what actual responses you guys are getting. Thanks!

EDIT: Obviously, I'm not looking for names of pros you queried, et al, and whatever information you want to leave out is fine. Just curious, really.

Comment

There are five different stock reasons pros can choose from when they say "no" - there is also a chance for them to leave additional comments if they want.

http://www.virtualpitchfest.com/how-...queryresponse/

I've had both just the stock response(s) as well as someone leave an additional comment.

With a yes you get a "Yes!" with a "Yes, please send it" and then whatever comment w/ contact info the pro wants to use. E.g., "Sounds like a good premise. We'd be happy to take a look. Contact info below. "

If someone is looking for specific feedback on why a pro isn't saying "yes" to your pitch - this isn't the site. Maybe look at the pitches that Stage 32 Happy Writers do - the pros there will give you specific reasons why your pitch didn't grab them.

Comment

Pretty sure the one they posted was a fake example.
                      The pros are able to check off reasons for the pass, as shown, and have room to add a comment in either case.

I've gotten passes with a comment like "good luck" and the requests for scripts always include a comment bc they have to tell you where to send the script.

Eta didn't see someone already got this

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                        Would anyone who's used this service mind posting (or PM'ing?) a copy of the responses you got?
                        Here are three of the most recent responses I've gotten (with identifying info removed). Hope they help.

Response #1
                        (Yes)

Hi,

Please feel free to contact me at [e-mail address] and I'll send you a release form.

[first name]

Explanation:
                        Yes, please send it

Response #2 (Yes)
                        Please submit the script to [name] at [email address]

Explanation:

Yes, please send it

Response #3 (No)
                        Explanation:
                        Nothing personal, it just didn't grab us.

Comments:
                        Hi [my name]. Thanks so much for your query. Unfortunately, this isn't for me. I really appreciate the look and wish you guys luck with this.

Best,

[his name]
                        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Awesome. That was fast, haha. Thanks, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                            Would anyone who's used this service mind posting (or PM'ing?) a copy of the responses you got? Just curious, because the site only shows two, and while the service itself looks useful, the queries they showed looked boilerplate/fake (Baghdad isn't in Afghanistan, guys... but then, that's the least implausible part of that query, so idk), and the responses also looked fake. I don't know if that was intentional, but the way they described it was as though they were posting actual queries and actual responses. Anyway, it'd be helpful to see what actual responses you guys are getting. Thanks!

EDIT: Obviously, I'm not looking for names of pros you queried, et al, and whatever information you want to leave out is fine. Just curious, really.
                            I've had what look like stock responses (check a box) and I've had personal notes that were very kind and wished me well.

Comment

Response: No thanks, but we appreciate the submission

Explanation: Nothing personal, it just didn't grab us.

Comments: Hey *****, thanks so much for your query. Unfortunately, this wasn't for me. I really appreciate the look and wish you luck with it.

Best,

Comment

Working...
                              X