Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #31
finalact4

Default Re: Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Then send your sh!t to my ex... she's known for being nice, but she's actually cold as ice behind the scenes. That's where that story ends as I'm telling it to a producer next week... LOL. (I bet her moles are telling her every word I say from here on out. HA! FUKK THEM!)

This town, man...
that's all well and good, sending it isn't the problem.

she can be mary ****ing poppins, but if she doesn't respond to queries you're SOL.

that's reality. sent her a query. no response. not even a "no solicitation response." that's not any different than any other manager right now. it's not personal.

being an agent is different than being a manager, so i assume she's learned to like reading and giving notes-- she's a manager now, so she has to.

i think they're (managers) so bogged down trying to get their clients work to studios, networks and producers without agents. i get the feeling it's not an easy task. Agents have the relationship connections with the buyers.

this is probably a good time to be a manager, because you're forced to create these new relationships-- that will probably help a lot in the end.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #32
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWriterson View Post
Absolutely. Some give only grammar notes but are great salesmen, some develop something with you from the start and ask you to send them incremental progress drafts. Some are better at emotional support. You need to be honest with what you need.

As far as taking what you can get first time around, sure. But leverage that quickly into another relationship that works.

As far having to be high up to have choices, thats not completely true. I have choices. But I’m not high up by any means. It’s just that the feature market is so shitty right now. I just had a movie released in May and my rep said “you’re only as good as your next script.” No one cares unless you’re one of the handful true A List writers or Marvel.

Go into TV is the new war cry.
props on your movie release.

this has never been truer than it is right now. many a-list managers comment on the fact that the best feature client is the one that has both a killer feature AND a killer pilot.

you need to do both until, and if, the feature market pendulum ever swings back to interest in original material.

Last edited by finalact4 : 08-31-2019 at 02:28 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
finalact4

Quote:
My suggestion. YELL BACK!

"Don't you fukkin speak to me like that! Listen bruh, I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but you're crossing a line of decency, let's relax and get back to trying to have this project be GREAT. We both want it to be great, correct?"

But don't listen to me. Ha!

I cussed a certain producer out and told him "Bro, I don't give a fukk who you are, feel me? Go fukk yourself for being an azzhole! I get it, we'll never work together, thing is I don't give a fukk. There's other producers further up the ladder than you, dude."

Can't say what the guy did. That'll be in my show if we get to do it. ;-)

Just... I can handle people voicing opinions and sh!t, but bruh, if you yell at me? Dude, now you just went 'street', so let's go there! Don't put up with that sh!t. That's a lawsuit in any other industry. Which I'll remind these fukkers of if I'm yelled at.
no ****ing ****, right?

no one yells at me and sticks around. will not tolerate it. swear to god.

that's when you get in your car and walk into their office, dressed like the cheerleader in Suicide Squad, and say, very coolly, as you flick a butterfly open and closed in your hand, "you ever ****ing talk to me like that again and you'll be swallowing your balls. you hearin' me?"

record that **** and social media his a$$. the thought tickles me pink.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #34
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
that's all well and good, sending it isn't the problem.

she can be mary ****ing poppins, but if she doesn't respond to queries you're SOL.

that's reality. sent her a query. no response. not even a "no solicitation response." that's not any different than any other manager right now. it's not personal.

being an agent is different than being a manager, so i assume she's learned to like reading and giving notes-- she's a manager now, so she has to.

i think they're (managers) so bogged down trying to get their clients work to studios, networks and producers without agents. i get the feeling it's not an easy task. Agents have the relationship connections with the buyers.

this is probably a good time to be a manager, because you're forced to create these new relationships-- that will probably help a lot in the end.
So you DID query her? Good for you for trying. Why not!

Yup true... I was kinda joking because...

I know how she operates. She won't respond. She's never responded to a query, EVER. Instant delete. She never opens queries no matter what you say. She won't respond with "No unsolicited material" she'll just delete it (isn't that right, ex?). If I queried her she'd delete it. HA!

I asked her to read my friends script (who she's met and had over to the house), never read it far as I know. Just said the genre wasn't her style and that was that.

But yeah, I think it's a hella change for her having to actually read sh!t as a manger. And with no more notes from me explaining what could be fixed. HAHA!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #35
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
no ****ing ****, right?

no one yells at me and sticks around. will not tolerate it. swear to god.

that's when you get in your car and walk into their office, dressed like the cheerleader in Suicide Squad, and say, very coolly, as you flick a butterfly open and closed in your hand, "you ever ****ing talk to me like that again and you'll be swallowing your balls. you hearin' me?"

record that **** and social media his a$$. the thought tickles me pink.
HA! Fo realzies!
Old 08-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #36
DDoc
User

Quote:
My suggestion. YELL BACK!

"Don't you fukkin speak to me like that! Listen bruh, I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but you're crossing a line of decency, let's relax and get back to trying to have this project be GREAT. We both want it to be great, correct?"

But don't listen to me. Ha!

I cussed a certain producer out and told him "Bro, I don't give a fukk who you are, feel me? Go fukk yourself for being an azzhole! I get it, we'll never work together, thing is I don't give a fukk. There's other producers further up the ladder than you, dude."

Can't say what the guy did. That'll be in my show if we get to do it. ;-)

Just... I can handle people voicing opinions and sh!t, but bruh, if you yell at me? Dude, now you just went 'street', so let's go there! Don't put up with that sh!t. That's a lawsuit in any other industry. Which I'll remind these fukkers of if I'm yelled at.

Haha. Nice.

I worked on a drilling rig for three years and a shipyard for another three. I've been in a shouting match or two but I suppose I was never worried about being blacklisted (which I assume might happen in Hollywood). I don't anticipate having this problem but if I do I doubt I'd be the one that got it to that point.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #37
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
Haha. Nice.

I worked on a drilling rig for three years and a shipyard for another three. I've been in a shouting match or two but I suppose I was never worried about being blacklisted (which I assume might happen in Hollywood). I don't anticipate having this problem but if I do I doubt I'd be the one that got it to that point.
Yeah, I don't anticipate it happening to you. Writers are generally nice and diplomatic.

My situation was a personal interaction. But, I was willing to go at the dude because I knew he couldn't blacklist me, he just would never work with me. So what! LOL

Generally, rule of thumb is just be cool and this sh!t won't happen to you, usually. But maybe...???
Old 08-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #38
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
Lol. That's kind of depressing. I wonder how one should handle being yelled at by a rep (or studio exec, producer, etc.)? I'm not sure. I've heard stories of people blowing jobs in those types of situations. I'm no badass myself but I probably wouldn't be able to stomach another grown man yelling at me (unless I did something catastrophically stupid. Then I'd feel bad enough already).
My friend who is higher up in the biz, told me to call the guy back (he hung up on me too) and apologize. After that we still talked fine the next day like nothing happened. I made the mistake of being "mean" to a junior manager and asking more about his boss and not buttering him up. He's out of the business now, but my friend is like "small town" you don't want this guy bad mouthing you... he could end up anywhere... so he was right. I made a mistake, but yelling like a manic is wrong. But it's part of all life and business right.

Ddoc -- that's my screenwriting life. I have even more depressing stories. And I already told you about the cancer.

So if there is a God, he hates me. Or she does. Or this test just sucks.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #39
Bono

Gucci -- how did this "hypothetical rep" find clients then?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:59 PM   #40
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Gucci -- how did this "hypothetical rep" find clients then?
Answer: Handed to hypothetical rep on a silver platter. Managers, producers, publishing agents. Mostly publishing agents. Always referrals. I could be wrong, but I'd guess ZERO found by other means.

Hypothetical rep will get mad (or hypothetical rep's moles) for me saying this, but hypothetical rep has done a seminar (whatever those things are called, pitch fest?) hypothetical rep wasn't listening, signed no one. Was a favor to the host (Ain't that right hypothetical rep?). HA! Hypothetical is prolly so pissed I'm telling the truth. I give ZERO fukks, bruh! LOL